16 bit 44.1 Khz CD player sounds better than 24bit/192 Khz Player?

the off topic bit...

Is it sad that when I'm traveling for work, I scour the destination's local craigslist for stuff I read about in threads before making travel arrangements? Anyway, headed to Vancouver for less than 24 hours and will have no rental car and about 10 hours of free time, not counting sleeping time. God forbid there's a good deal on something heavy that I have to lug back, or arrange for shipping lol.

Also, when I sell some stuff and thin the herd, it goes into a special pocket that only allows the money to be re-spent on audio stuff.

Back on topic...

The Panasonic h2000 and all of Onwardjames favorites on my search lists now!

Also, seems the Toshiba XR-35 on your list uses the same DACs as the luxman and even the chassis and front panel looks similar. Others were Sansui, NAD and Kenwood. I'll find a link to where I found this info.

edit... the link

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

Last edited:
Sam08861, thank you for that link. I knew that little Toshiba was pretty sweet. I also misspoke. The Sony I have, which is just gorgeous and the fastest loading cdp I've ever known, is actually the much respected CDP-302. I had the zero and two backwards.

How I'd love to mod it and put a Digital Out on it. Someone here has done this, but it is far above my pay grade.

Good to know about the remote.

Thought I'd post the below, just in case it helps someone in the future.

I got no remote with either the receiver or the cd player, but a logitech harmony one remote can control the receiver. The cd player won't respond at all to the remote, and was in the remote's database, so the sensor or related might be kaput or it could be the codes are wrong.

Good news was that Luxman receiver had a number of various pin count DIN ports in the back to control cd player, tape, etc... The one for CD happened to be the same config (5 pin male to male DIN in half moon shape) as a MIDI patch cord and the local guitar center had a 3' cord for $6 or something.

With some fiddling, I had to put r-117 instead of r-115 for the receiver in the remotes setup app to get the play/pause function and then set it up to control via the receiver, along with plugging the cd player into a switched outlet in back of the receiver. (btw, crazy receiver has 6 outlets (4 switched/2 unswitched 200w max) of which I only need 2, other one is connected to a niles spk1 since I'm running 2 rcvrs with 1 set of speakers)

After all that messin' around, CD player turns on with receiver and functions are controlled via the midi cable by receiver (using the universal remote) so I can pause/play/skip fwd/skip back and control volume with the 'listen to cd' activity or control all the remote functions of the receiver by selecting that device.

Last edited:
That's cool that you got that bizarre DIN port to work. I've had fantastic success with Logitech model universal remotes.

And I've STILL not found either the H1000 or H2000, but I shall persist.

Spent some time last night with my stock Toshiba XR-35. That thing sounds pretty sweet. I'd sure love to change op-amps and recap, but I'm just not technically able.

Yeah, now it's got me thinking to get a turntable with the same linkup as the manual suggest play and pause functions work. Looks like the pd-300 and pd-310 so far from my 'research' of looking at pictures on ebay. Now to find one at a price that I think is reasonable, lol. (i.e. cheap, steal, giveaway!)

Do you know what op amps you would change to? If that's a worthwhile upgrade, I can try to figure it out an put up a how to with pictures. If you can solder, I suspect it's not too hard and doable for novices like us.

Do you know what op amps you would change to? If that's a worthwhile upgrade, I can try to figure it out an put up a how to with pictures. If you can solder, I suspect it's not too hard and doable for novices like us.

I think I used 4558's in my phono section of my Onkyo P304, and the difference was pretty noticeable. That number is probably wrong, it's been awhile. Friend did the work, even installed the little sockets.

I'll let finer minds than my own recommend something.

Thanks onwardjames, I'll see what I can find out but until then, leaving it alone for now as was suggested earlier.

I just couldn't stay away from craigslist on my crazy 36 hour trip to vancouver from NJ and before coming back, did happen to lug back a luxman PX-100 turntable (covered in a t-shirt and in a plastic shopping bag that some nice lady at the airport gave me) that I got for a good price on the way back to the airport and has the neat remote doodad.

TSA at every airport had the most confused reactions when it went through the xray machines. Confused looks, asking me what it is and telling me they'd never seen anything like that go through the scanner. The first guys in Canada, just said 'OK Eh, I can see that now' after telling them it was a turntable and the platter was in the carry on and let it pass. At customs, a very concerned young lady asked if she could open it up, so I raised the dust cover for her, and she was somehow satisfied with this, and her partner was rolling on the floor laughing loudly and pointing at her and hi-fiving her colleagues because it was just a record player and the lady had called a number of colleagues or supervisors over to 'help', lol.

The looks on their faces were just priceless!

Going to put a shure V-15 V cart I got some time back on it so need to order a decent stylus and find out where to get a 4pin male/male DIN cable. Cool turntable, but top plate is nowhere near as substantial as my dual 1229q. The platter looks twice as tall but weighs 1/3 as much and it's definitely a price point table with a portion below the tonearm made of plastic, and a chipboard looking plinth and bottom cover. We'll see how she sounds though after some tlc and will put this stuff in the right forum so I don't 'threadjack' myself any further.

Those appear to be the originals and according to one, not part of the signal path.

Yep they are the originals. I had the numbers wrong. However, if you read further in that thread, you'll see there's op/amps for the phono stage, and eq or something.

I'm no techie, but me and CohibaJoe heard the same thing, independent of one another. The sound got better, perhaps from the op-amps that were in the signal path.

Just an update, I contacted Logitech support via chat about the missing commands for the R-115 and they added them on the spot. So... the using the R-117 as a workaround is no longer necessary. This is good as the phono input commands are different on the remotes.

edit.. not the DAC, correct one is TD6709N and hidden behind wire abov
Working on the very similar to the D-100, Kenwood DP-750 (1986); also, the Nad 5330 is the same machine, and there are others, down to the Serv. Manual schematics.

And I also have a Kenwood DP-460 which is based on the similar chipset with TD6709N.

The TD6709N is very unique and very unusual. Will post on this "uniqueness" soon , with photos.

Open question to anyone with a TD6709N CD player. I have noted that in my DP-750, it becomes very HOT (130F after 15 min, using IR probe) . If anyone can lift the hood on their CDP and do a finger test, that would be handy to know. My DP-750 came in not-running, but I thought that was just the laser . I may have deeper issue.
For the DP-460, which runs and sounds just fine ... I read about 112F max.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom