List of amps with a high damping factor

@Audiovet We are in a way on the same page. Higher than about 10 "damping factor" makes little difference in response. I was over reacting to the "where's the coil resistance" and DF of 1.6. General consensus is that speakers are currently designed to give flattest response with Voltage source input which would be high "damping factor: I believe the best systems should be designed with amp and speaker treated as a system, not two separate components. I intend to start looking at current source for speaker driving - measurements have shown lower distortion for a current driven speaker as opposed to a voltage driven circuit, but the plug and play nature of audio components disappears. But I am digressing, and adding to the confusion.

P.S: The going off-topic was my doing, not Steve's, and I likewise apologise to the OP and thank members for their patience. There does however seem to be a common misunderstanding regarding (real) speaker damping, and I hope some clarity will be the result of these remarks.

If I may then conclude, with reference to the diagram provided by Steve:

Any outside resistance/impedance will appear across the (current) terminals "Eg/Zout". My argument simply meant that in practice this will be in series with Re (+reactance of Lc, to be accurate). Even where outside resistance is zero, the damping current is determined (as in limited) by Re, not the outside resistance only, as the DF formula suggests.

Again apology for the side-tracking, and grateful for the valuable contributions by Steve.

NOW BACK TO TOPIC! :D

My AR-AU has 8 to 20 for 4 Ω speakers, 16 to 40 for 8 Ω speakers, 32 to 80 for 16 Ω speakers. Not high at all, but it is a well-regarded amp. My modern Yamaha RS700 receiver has a damping factor of "240 or more". It will also drive 4 ohm speakers. I presume that Yamaha amplifiers also have high damping factors, and believe that their vintage models do, too. I'm impressed with Yamaha's mid to high-end products, they give a lot of bang for the buck.

My AR-AU has 8 to 20 for 4 Ω speakers, 16 to 40 for 8 Ω speakers, 32 to 80 for 16 Ω speakers. Not high at all, but it is a well-regarded amp.
Sorry to disagree, but I found mine horrible. That was in 1972. Great cosmetics, yes. Sounded ok at high level, but resolution was missing in action at low power levels with its class B operation.

It was, however, a good learning experience as a teen. I now understand the value of high bias class A operation at lower power levels. A later Threshold Stasis 3 redefined that perspective.

Sorry to disagree, but I found mine horrible. That was in 1972. Great cosmetics, yes. Sounded ok at high level, but resolution was missing in action at low power levels with its class B operation.

It was, however, a good learning experience as a teen. I now understand the value of high bias class A operation at lower power levels. A later Threshold Stasis 3 redefined that perspective.
No reason to be sorry, thst's what makes horse races. I never had problems with mine combined with AR3a speakers and the wide dynamic range of classical music. I need to finish my restoration; the speakers are up and running, but I need some more time on the amp. More later when it is finished, and I can compare my new system with the vintage one. Stay tuned!

Good luck!

As I mentioned, I thought is was a great looking component. I never was into the blue light receiver thing - or receivers at all for that matter. It just looked classy and I recall the kinda soft rubbery finish of the cover.

Even where outside resistance is zero, the damping current is determined (as in limited) by Re, not the outside resistance only, as the DF formula suggests.

^^^ exactly so... PLUS the DC resistance & reactance of any inductors in the crossover network

Back
Top Bottom