Pioneer SX-636.....rushing sound on left channel

The SX-636 EQ Amp board has four 667-ECQ-E1474KF caps. Mouser says these are obsolete and unavailable. Will 598-225P47491XD3 work instead?

The Power Amp board has two 598-DSF050J334 caps but they are also obsolete and unavailable. Will 80-F612JG334J063C work instead?

Last edited:
As long as the Value is the Same, Voltage isn't appreciably higher (for a 50v cap 63v or 100v is ok but 63V preferred.) and the leg distance isn't a couple mm higher than the distance of the holes. They should be ok.

The SX-636 EQ Amp board has four 667-ECQ-E1474KF caps. Mouser says these are obsolete and unavailable. Will 598-225P47491XD3 work instead?

The Power Amp board has two 598-DSF050J334 caps but they are also obsolete and unavailable. Will 80-F612JG334J063C work instead?

Wait.. especially in regards to the EQ board. Please double check the lead spacing and size of the cap - look how it will fix on the board. I ordered a similar cap and it was both too big AND the leads were too wide & thick to fit in the hole. larryderouin maybe you could suggest a more appropriate choice, I saw another pic of a board with what looked like "box" sized caps. Im literally on my way out the door or else I'd investigate.

I was asking about updating the BOM before as well, because rookies like me order wrong package sizes and then we're stuck spending another week and shipping fees getting the right parts

Wait.. especially in regards to the EQ board. Please double check the lead spacing and size of the cap - look how it will fix on the board. I ordered a similar cap and it was both too big AND the leads were too wide & thick to fit in the hole. larryderouin maybe you could suggest a more appropriate choice, I saw another pic of a board with what looked like "box" sized caps. Im literally on my way out the door or else I'd investigate.

I was asking about updating the BOM before as well, because rookies like me order wrong package sizes and then we're stuck spending another week and shipping fees getting the right parts

Thanks darkhosis. Just looking for a good replacement part and yes, I am a rookie :) So I need all the help I can get.

I did another search to replace EQ board cap 667-ECQ-E1474KF and came up with WIMA cap 505-MKS4.47/100/10 as a possibility. I used the following parameters to narrow the search, and this WIMA cap seems best according to the specs (just not according to the stock picture).

Capacitance = 0.47 uF
Product = General Film Capacitors
Termination Style = Radial
Tolerance = 10%
Voltage Rating DC = 100 VDC
Lead Spacing = 7.5 mm

If anyone could verify this choice, I'd appreciate it.

The WIMA is Fine. Go for it.

Thanks Larry. One more question. On the SX-636 BOM list, I didn't see replacements for the four output transistors (Q11-Q14) on the power amp. Do people generally not replace them on the 636? I'm asking because I just replaced them on the 737 I'm also working on, and they were included on that BOM.

Q11/12 2SD371 -> ?
Q13/14 2SB531 -> ?

In another thread I saw someone recommend 2SD371 -> MJ21194G and 2SB531 -> MJ21193G

Thank you.

If they are running and you can get them to bias ok, leave them in.
Other wise go with the93/94G's or the MJ21195/96G's. Essentially the same, but one is slightly cheaper. (A few Cents.).

I did another search to replace EQ board cap 667-ECQ-E1474KF and came up with WIMA cap 505-MKS4.47/100/10 as a possibility.

Ok, sounds like you're doing good so far... and are close to making an order. Getting advice and double-checking before you order is the best plan.

That being said, there is a little more to know about WIMA film caps. The WIMA film caps which are not packaged as "reel" will have very short leads. So, if you are very sure the holes in your PCB are 7.5mm, the buying WIMA film caps with 7.5mm lead spacing not packaged as "reel" will work fine. If your PCB holes are different from the WIMA film cap's lead spacing, then you'll want to choose the WIMA film cap part that is packaged as "reel" since those will have normal-length (meaning about 1 inch long instead of 1/8th inch long) and those leads will bend and reach not-perfectly-matched lead holes.

So,

• If you are very sure your PCB holes are spaced the same as the lead spacing on the WIMA film caps, go ahead and order without regard to type of packaging.
  • If your PCB holes are not spaced the same as the lead spacing on the new WIMA, then order ones with "reel" packaging.

I have quite a few WIMA caps that I bought before learning this lesson and which did not fit well enough to use (in the unit I'd bought them for). Lesson learned.

Good Advice Doug. I forgot about that little detail! I don't buy enough WIMA's to remember, plus Old Timers Disease is creeping up on me not so gently, LOL! The Wima's(MKS4) have the same spacing as the ECQ's listed so they should not pose a problem. But I'd still look for a Tape Reel pkg' just to be safe. The MKS2 has TAPE REEL in the Value and voltage you want. 5mm lead spacing tho. And smaller overall. A larger pkg has more chances of picking up EMF from wiring too. So smallest you can get works better (note this is more prevalent in point to point than on a board, but the principle still applies.)from a standpoint of EMF rejection (cross talk from FM or AM while in AUx, Phono, or Tape Mon. )
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS2D034701E00JI00?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF7l45uRd9dVhVYfsYxaxvdg=

Thanks a lot for the input, guys. Much appreciated. I did verify that the lead spacing is 7.5 mm on both the original ECQ cap and the MKS4 WIMA cap, but I hear you about the lead length. I will go with the smaller MKS2 caps that Larry suggested, I'm sure I can bend the leads enough without a problem.

Thanks darkhosis. Just looking for a good replacement part and yes, I am a rookie :) So I need all the help I can get.

I did another search to replace EQ board cap 667-ECQ-E1474KF and came up with WIMA cap 505-MKS4.47/100/10 as a possibility. I used the following parameters to narrow the search, and this WIMA cap seems best according to the specs (just not according to the stock picture).

Capacitance = 0.47 uF
Product = General Film Capacitors
Termination Style = Radial
Tolerance = 10%
Voltage Rating DC = 100 VDC
Lead Spacing = 7.5 mm

If anyone could verify this choice, I'd appreciate it.
The WIMA is a helluva lot cheaper also.

Is there a standard way update a BOM on AK? There were a couple other components that were approaching or were at end of life. Just curious

Is there a standard way update a BOM on AK? There were a couple other components that were approaching or were at end of life. Just curious

Not really. You can't update someone else's work. But what you can do is:

• Clearly label your thread (e.g. put "recap" and "BOM" in the title, mention several searchable phrases in a post "recapping a XY-123")
  • Go to the places where you found help and older BOMs, make a new post in those threads saying "hey, I updated the BOM with newer parts or part numbers" and include a link to your newer BOM thread.

Just my $0.02

That's the best way to do it, how Doug listed it. That way parts are updated, obviously outdated parts are eliminated and you get it vetted by senior personnel.

Total noob question.. I got in the WIMA MKS2D034701E00JI00 from Mouser.. great fit, but..

Does polarity matter on these film capacitors??

Total noob question.. I got in the WIMA MKS2D034701E00JI00 from Mouser.. great fit, but..

Does polarity matter on these film capacitors??

There's is no polarity on film caps. Inserting one either way is fine.

Does anyone know if a 2SD313 would work instead of a 2SD234 on the power supply board? I find myself with some spare 313s but no 234s or KCS2073s.

Does anyone know if a 2SD313 would work instead of a 2SD234 on the power supply board? I find myself with some spare 313s but no 234s or KCS2073s.

The basic specs, voltages and current and wattage, are ok. Ft is the same. Pinouts are the same. You should be ok.

Thanks Doug. I thought it looked ok but wasn't 100% sure. I just wanted some reassurance from a more experienced Ak'er. This is the only site I trust for buying decisions as well.

Back
Top Bottom