Is anyone here running an amplifier using their receiver as a preamp?

Harvestor

Addicted Member
I haven't run across any discussions here where people are using a receiver bypassing it's internal amp and using an external amplifier..
I'm curious how many or how few here on the forums are doing this?
There are many good receivers that offer the ability to do this like the Technics SA 700-800 & 1000 and many Sansui, Pioneers etc..
So I'm curious what what people are running and what their experiences are?

I do it almost daily and find it no different from having a separate, dedicated preamp except of course for the receiver’s built in tuner.

I've used my Yamaha RX-A3030 AVR with external amps. Never had a problem with the set up. It sounds fine.

I started out doing this and it was fun comparing the preamp sections of different units. Then the upgrade bug bit for a standalone preamp and my rca jumpers have sat in the drawer ever since.

Tried it only two days ago and still using it, so impressions are fresh. Of course results will depend on the individual preamp section and power amp used. In the last 6 months I've had an appalling failure rate with my pre and power amps, mostly through age, a couple my own fault (oh the guilt!). I turned to a receiver as a stopgap till I have some repairs done (most are beyond my skills). I had a Nakamichi receiver — post-Stasis and AV, so not even a primo Nak — and it surprised me. It's very good. Tuner is very-very good. Phono stage was only capable so I used a standalone through the tape loop. Much better.

My speakers needed more power. I had one really good power amp left, Museatex, and tried it. I liked the Nak's power section, but this was a total transformation, way beyond "very good". The repairs are no longer urgent, I can happily live with this combo for awhile, and the convenience is a treat.

I've done it lots. I have a Yamaha CA-810 feeding into a couple of big Audiosource amps to some hideous PA speakers that I use for backyard parties and such.

In the house I have a B&K ST2140 that I've used with a couple different receivers and it sounded good, but I didn't need all the extra power for my current speakers.

Yup ... I've been doing that for years and years here with various Sansui receivers using a tape loop. Standard cabling if you're just feeding the raw signal to the amp, but in my case, I also have a bunch of post processing going on. For that, I need to complete the loop back to the receiver.

Originally used a "Y" adapter to add the amp to the loop. Much prefer the hard version to the standard cable. This is the setup for my SS amp.

tapeloop-mc2205.jpg

Latest external amp was a custom build tuber, and I added the "Y" to the back panel. Both sets of jacks are joined internally. Kinda like belly buttons - Think of it as an "innie" vs an "outie" ...

assembly-back.jpg

Yup, Denon AVR3808 into a Crestron CNAMPX-7X200 (ATI-built 7-channel 200wpc SS amp) for 7.1 home theater and 2-channel music (using different speakers and receiver-resident room correction setups).

Last edited:
Still saving money for a proper preamp for my MC 2105, so I'm currently using the pre from my Sansui 5000X.
Have also had it hooked it up to my Marantz 2230 and Heathkit AR-1500.

I am. My Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV has a built-in second zone RCA outs that I run to another Pioneer A-35R amp. I can run different sources on both zones and can control the volume of the speakers on the second zone with the receiver. I have four pairs of speakers running off the system, as well as a sub and center/L/R in the main room.

Yup ... I've been doing that for years and years here with various Sansui receivers using a tape loop. Standard cabling if you're just feeding the raw signal to the amp, but in my case, I also have a bunch of post processing going on. For that, I need to complete the loop back to the receiver.

Originally used a "Y" adapter to add the amp to the loop. Much prefer the hard version to the standard cable. This is the setup for my SS amp.

tapeloop-mc2205.jpg

Latest external amp was a custom build tuber, and I added the "Y" to the back panel. Both sets of jacks are joined internally. Kinda like belly buttons - Think of it as an "innie" vs an "outie" ...

assembly-back.jpg

Any details on your processing setup?

I have done so many times in the past and found the sound adequate. JK. Sounded good, but I didn't like not using the amp in the receiver, and had no use for the amp section for very long (no surround, no Zone 2). So I went with the pre-tuner + amp approach or entire separates. I no longer use separates, but am doing the pre-tuner-DAC + amp thing in the bedroom and an integrated amp in the den.

Oops, I do have a modest separates system in the guest room that no one ever uses comprising a NuForce pre, Pro-Ject tuner and Emotiva amp with B6 and a Polk sw. Good little system, and I mean no one. I'd sell it but it's good for back-up if something quits in the others.

Last edited:
I did briefly. Used an MCS 3125 as a preamp and a Rotel RB-990BX for the amp.
Worked just fine, but ended up buying a couple actual preamps instead. NAD 1700 and Carver CT-17, liked the fact they both come with remotes.
This was a few years ago, when after 35 or more years with receivers only I went to separates.

Count me in. Longtime Sony ES fan, but the STR-DA-4ES's onboard amp just didn't have the juice necessary to do my Maggies justice. The Sony functions very well as a preamp. Great SQ, really good phono section and the ability to control all of the receivers functions by remote control. The amps I've used have been a big Pioneer, a BGW and now an Emotiva.

Back
Top Bottom