Cheap little microscope

Nixxuz

So I got one of those cheap USB microscopes from Amazon, as I was curios as to what condition my stylii are in. I'm not sure how good it is for that specific task, especially with the garbage "stand" it comes with, but at least it takes pics!

AT3482P profile;
AT3482P.jpg

Ortofon 320 profile, (brand new out of box)
Otrofon320.jpg

Realistically, those cute little USB scopes are for kids, looking at bugs and spiders. They will tell you if you have a diamond, but sadly, the condition of said diamond needs considerably more magnification and resolution.

They can be used for PCB joint inspection however.

They are fun though. :)

These USB scopes can also tell you when your diamond needs a bath (like the Ortofon above), and that's important to know.

It's actually somewhat useful with a proper stand, as I found out.
WIN_20180629_17_54_38_Pro.jpg WIN_20180629_17_56_23_Pro.jpg
Not perfect by any means, but better than the little mag on my Zerodust!

Yes, you will be able to tell if you cleaning regimen it adequate at keeping the stuff off the stylus.

Last edited:
Getting even better as I figure it out. I'm guessing a person could see some wear if given enough light sources. This is that same Ortofon 320.
WIN_20180630_02_57_04_Pro.jpg
WIN_20180630_02_51_29_Pro.jpg

So I got one of those cheap USB microscopes from Amazon

Me 2.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2MP-USB-10...290148?hash=item5d67f86364:g:XdAAAOSwi7RZKAtD

Pic. Ortofon MC30.

1onkgz.jpg

6tpgrt.jpg

To find out what you need to see to determine stylus wear you can google images, check out the OM for the Shure SEK-2 on VE or check of the sticky in the big TT projects sticky for Sparky's stylus microscope build thread.

I'm sorry but there is nothing enlarged enough to see stylus wear in those pics. When using a stylus wear evaluation magnification there is such a short depth of field that one only sees part of the stylus, a very small part.

These pics in this thread are nice to see the overall stylus/cantilever condition but not stylus wear. These devices keep getting better and may one day put stylus wear evaluation into the hands of the masses.

These are nice photos though and with proper lighting show stylus mounting and general shape. There are more and more nice needle pics showing up on ak using these devices. Keep up the good work.

WIN_20180702_22_35_22_Pro.jpg
I dunno. Top one is 3 months old and the bottom has never been used. The Zerodust is doing it's job, but gunk still can build up...

Need better stylus cleaning, not that what shows is going to contribute much to the sound. I like a Discwasher SC-1 or 2 and dampen the leading edge that touches the stylus first. Drag the stylus through that and it picks all the crud of the nail.

It supposedly goes from 40x to 1000x. I can't see any way to prove any of it. Like I said, $20. Just came in a box with a terrible stand and a driver CD that I can't use because I don't have a disc drive on my PC. I bought a better stand for another $20.

I ordered one just the other day. Will be interesting to look at all my styli specially the ones I suspect as being worn.

Back
Top Bottom