Yamaha NS-2000 1st Impressions

I probably have to check the crossover on my NS1KXs first, or try them out with other amps....but they did sound really good with the restored MX1K amp and ...ohhh those BX-1 mono-blocks sounded so smooth. That was in the same setup same source and all, with only the amps being the variable....so I guess it's gotta be the B-1 :dunno:

For those of us that cant afford B1 and B2s - what are some other amps NS1000 and NS2000 owners have tried that worked really well?

I have CA1000 but i am keen to try something else, maybe a Yaqin MC10L/T or some other Valve? Then i read some people say low power vales is no good for these, others say Push Pull and not SET etc.

I wonder if the CA1000 is really showing me what my NS1000XW can do? Without going in 000s and 000s - hat every days amps show these speakers off?

I was browsing for discussions of Yamaha NS speakers and came across this old thread. I have loved NS speakers since 1976 when I bought a pair of NS-670 speakers and paired the with a Luxman L507 integrated amplifier. I loved the sound of them and added a pair of NS-690 speakers to go with them. That was a great sounding system. In 1983 I saved up and splurged on a new system (although I kept my 70's system...still have it). I bought Yamaha C-70, M-70, T1000 and a pair of NS-2000s. I had gone down to a local store to hear the NS-2000s and that did it for me. I still have them and they will likely always be my favorites. I have added a pair of NS-1000M and NS-500M speakers to my Yamaha NS collection. I like their sound but they really don't match what the NS-2000s do. Of course speaker selection is always a very personal thing. That's why, like phono cartridges, there are so many different flavors.

In answer to the question about driving the NS-2000s, my M-70 never had a problem and I used to crank the volume up pretty good. I still have that amplifier but I have added Yamaha's M85 and MX-1000 power amps to my collection. All of the amps had no problems with the NS-2000s. I think the MX-1000s may sound the best though. For me it is hard to beat Yamaha amplifier and speaker components from the 70's and 80's.

-sonavor

I was browsing for discussions of Yamaha NS speakers and came across this old thread. I have loved NS speakers since 1976 when I bought a pair of NS-670 speakers and paired the with a Luxman L507 integrated amplifier. I loved the sound of them and added a pair of NS-690 speakers to go with them. That was a great sounding system. In 1983 I saved up and splurged on a new system (although I kept my 70's system...still have it). I bought Yamaha C-70, M-70, T1000 and a pair of NS-2000s. I had gone down to a local store to hear the NS-2000s and that did it for me. I still have them and they will likely always be my favorites. I have added a pair of NS-1000M and NS-500M speakers to my Yamaha NS collection. I like their sound but they really don't match what the NS-2000s do. Of course speaker selection is always a very personal thing. That's why, like phono cartridges, there are so many different flavors.

In answer to the question about driving the NS-2000s, my M-70 never had a problem and I used to crank the volume up pretty good. I still have that amplifier but I have added Yamaha's M85 and MX-1000 power amps to my collection. All of the amps had no problems with the NS-2000s. I think the MX-1000s may sound the best though. For me it is hard to beat Yamaha amplifier and speaker components from the 70's and 80's.

-sonavor
I've had my NS-2000's a little over a year and absolutely love them. I've used a refurbished B-1 with them and an MX-10000, and they sound wonderful with both of those amps. I've tried several preamps with them, all minimalist designs: Yamaha YPC-1, Townshend Allegri, and Horn Shoppe "The Truth". While all of them are exceptionally good, the best sounding to my ears is the Horn Shoppe which is a passive attenuator with an active buffer.

Not vintage, but the A-S2100 or A-3000 are also a good choice. I have given away my Focal Sopra 2 three weeks ago and it‘s the first time now that I have the NS-2000 connected to my A-S3000.

^^^ NS-2000 / A-S3000 should be an excellent match. Looking forward to your listening impressions.

Have any of you NS-2000 owners had the woofer surrounds replaced? Or were they already done when you bought yours? As I said, I bought mine new in 1983. Around 2002 or 2003 I started to notice the original foam surrounds were deteriorating. That is common for foam type surrounds and a number of speaker manufacturers during the 80's used the foam material for speaker surrounds. I guess the designers liked the properties of them and Yamaha decided to use them on their NS-2000 carbon diaphragm, 33-cm (13 inch) woofer. Mine lasted about 17 years. I'm not sure what the life expectancy is for those type of surrounds but at some point a speaker with them will need the restoration done.

I have replaced the surrounds on smaller drivers but 33cm (13 in.) woofers. That is an unusual size and due to the speaker being the NS-2000 I took the woofer to a professional speaker shop in Dallas (Freeman-Tuell). They did a beautiful job and it's hard to believe it has been 15 years since they replaced them. I check them every now and then...so far they show no signs of deterioration. Probably the environment the speakers live in play into the condition of the surrounds. During the first 17 years I moved one time and had to keep the speakers in storage for six months. Anyway, I was just curious what other NS-2000 owners have done regarding the woofers.

Have any of you NS-2000 owners had the woofer surrounds replaced? Or were they already done when you bought yours?
The woofer surrounds had been replaced before I bought my NS-2000's. Just a guess, but I think they were probably refoamed by HiFiDo, the company I bought them from. Whoever reformed them did a superb job.

Last edited:
Have any of you NS-2000 owners had the woofer surrounds replaced?

My NS-2000 had been refoamed by the pre-owner. These surrounds we’re not suitable for the angled edge of the cone, they came loose. I replaced the surrounds myself. Because 13 inch surrounds were not available I had to use a 15 inch foam (with the correct angle) which I cut to the appropriate size. Besides a minor cosmetic issue (a visible seam) it works perfectly.

One more thing. Delicate hidden details in recordings I know for decades (e.g. Livestock/Brand X or some Manu Katche albums) I did not notice before, are effortlessly presented in a way I have never heard before. Sorry for being enthusiastic.

One more last thing. It’s the speed of he midrange driver that blows most other speakers away. Having owned a pair of 12000$ Sopra 2 I can tell.

One of these days the NS-2000 will be mine. Been a fan and owner of the NS-1000M. Bass is there but it is not deep. I've run them with the tone controls hanging loose to release the internal sound waves. There is loads of bass available. The NS-2000 with foam surrounds must extend much lower than the 1000M. BTW, Yamaha Be speakers sound fantastic with tubes.

Last edited:
Yes, the NS-2000’s bass goes deeper. On the other side, the NS-1000X has more upper bass therefore sounding a bit fuller.

I can appreciate scratching an itch . I just added JBL L250's to my L112's .

Your Yamaha's are beautiful . Congratulations .

Yes, the NS-2000’s bass goes deeper. On the other side, the NS-1000X has more upper bass therefore sounding a bit fuller.

I don't doubt that the 2000's go deeper than the 1000x's but I'm referring to the big boys:

3IMG_8473.JPG

The NSX-10000. I know there are members on here that have them but was wondering if anyone has both the 2000's and the 10000's.

I don't doubt that the 2000's go deeper than the 1000x's but I'm referring to the big boys:

View attachment 1230360

The NSX-10000. I know there are members on here that have them but was wondering if anyone has both the 2000's and the 10000's.
haven't yet had the priviledge to listen to any of them, but looking at the specs, I would say the NS-2000 is the way to go if you want the thump

Back
Top Bottom