XP Series Speakers 1959-1973

Anyone know what the Power Handling for the Fisher model XP1A might be? I can't find seem to find any info as far as how many watts they can handle.

There's not much information on the web regarding the XP1A. Because they were made in the early to mid 60s, I would imagine their power handling would be no more than what was available on consumer grade amps and receivers during that era. Expect no more than 50 wpc rating on these.

What a great and informative thread!

Thank you Red1 for sharing your wisdom and knowledge - especially about the XP series :thumbsup:

Question - I've not been able to find any information on the XP-8. Red1 had made an interesting observation very early in this thread

"The seemingly odd omission of an XP-8 model might be explained by the pronunciation of the model number sounding like the word expiate. I am sure a keen salesman with a background in publishing, like Avery Fisher, would have appreciated the implications of a speaker with a name that sounded like some sort of atonement might be required".

None of the Fisher product literature or brochures mention the XP-8. However, I found a pair listed on CL with the model number XP-8S (sculpted grill) which has the phenolic tweeters. Not sure if the drivers are original.

So, does anyone have information on this obscure, never publicised, seemingly never existed "secret" model?

Perhaps I should bring them home.

Rgds
Mayank

00B0B_l5PcNR4MjQx_1200x900.jpg 00606_jKVSnMpG7Cu_1200x900.jpg 00F0F_15U7cUGqGQ4_1200x900.jpg

What a great and informative thread!

Thank you Red1 for sharing your wisdom and knowledge - especially about the XP series :thumbsup:

Question - I've not been able to find any information on the XP-8. Red1 had made an interesting observation very early in this thread

"The seemingly odd omission of an XP-8 model might be explained by the pronunciation of the model number sounding like the word expiate. I am sure a keen salesman with a background in publishing, like Avery Fisher, would have appreciated the implications of a speaker with a name that sounded like some sort of atonement might be required".

None of the Fisher product literature or brochures mention the XP-8. However, I found a pair listed on CL with the model number XP-8S (sculpted grill) which has the phenolic tweeters. Not sure if the drivers are original.

So, does anyone have information on this obscure, never publicised, seemingly never existed "secret" model?

Perhaps I should bring them home.

Rgds
Mayank

Hmm, I don't know what to think about those. Note the odd fitting shape of both the woofer and the mid. I could make that label myself.

Drugolf; That is typical of FISHER's speakers in the 70's. The only thing Atypical is the way someone mounted the woofer in the hole. Used screws from the back, with nuts on the front.

Drugolf; That is typical of FISHER's speakers in the 70's. The only thing Atypical is the way someone mounted the woofer in the hole. Used screws from the back, with nuts on the front.

Got it. Is this after the bill Hecht years then?

Yes. Fisher didn't use sculpted grilles until about 1974, so these would be in that ERA.

Bump because I was out looking for some cheap records today and came across a pair of somewhat-tired-looking XP-55Bs in need of rescue, and even for a slightly optimistic $25 I figured - why not? Even the wife was on-board.

First thing - how the heck so these sound so friggin' good? I don't quite get it - but they totally jive with my Sansui.

Second - how can I get the grilles off? Now that I know how good they sound, I want to check out the condition of the drivers, and get into the crossovers to recap them.

Thanks!

Bump because I was out looking for some cheap records today and came across a pair of somewhat-tired-looking XP-55Bs in need of rescue, and even for a slightly optimistic $25 I figured - why not? Even the wife was on-board.

First thing - how the heck so these sound so friggin' good? I don't quite get it - but they totally jive with my Sansui.

Second - how can I get the grilles off? Now that I know how good they sound, I want to check out the condition of the drivers, and get into the crossovers to recap them.

Thanks!

This is a very informative thread and was very useful to me when I picked up my XP-4's last month.

I'm not familiar with your XP-55's but if they are similar to my 4's the grills were held in by about 9 small finishing nails. I had to apply a bit of pressure at several points around the edges of the grill to slowly get the nails to lift up. In my case it was clear the grill had never been removed so it took some time to get the grill off so that I didn't damage the grill or speaker. Kind of a pain to get it back on as well.

Use a Paint can tool with a curved end (looks like a bottle opener with a hook on the other end). The BRADS are in the Corners and about 1/2way down the long sides. Dental picks are too fragile.

Use a Paint can opener (looks like a bottle opener with a flat bladed hooked end.) Slip the hook under the grille and locate the BRADS in the Corners and about 1/2way down the long sides. Work it all the way around lifting a little each time at each brad.

HI. i just got fisher xp-9c . when I test them found that 15" woofers dont work good under 200hz so I need to open cabinet but I dont know how. any budy can help me?

HI. i just got fisher xp-9c . when I test them found that 15" woofers dont work good under 200hz so I need to open cabinet but I dont know how. any budy can help me?
Are you attempting to reach the crossover? If there is no removeable panel in the rear, you may need to remove the woofer and access the crossover through the open hole.

Are you attempting to reach the crossover? If there is no removeable panel in the rear, you may need to remove the woofer and access the crossover through the open hole.
thanks. rear is completely seal! and also grill on front seems don want to come off

thanks. rear is completely seal! and also grill on front seems don want to come off
The grill is more than likely glued to the box. DCM Time Windows had similar issues, here is one person's suggestion on removing the woofer:

"Hair dryer to soften it (keep it trained on the glue, not the speaker). I've used a variety of tools for that kind of work; none were the miracle solution. Narrow blade screwdrivers, grout removal tools, dental picks, exacto blades, dremel tool, putty knives, paint can keys, etc. Take your time...you don't want to damage the drivers or the cabinet.

You have to get as much removed around the edges as possible, then continue using heat and work your way around the driver trying to lever it upward. Putting a flat putty knife under the levering tool can protect the cabinet and gives something firm to push against. Keep working your way around and it will finally start to lift. From there, it gets easy."

I hope this helps.

Most likely Brads in the corners and 1/2way down the sides. See POST #151. I've never seen Glue used to contain the grille's on FISHER Speakers. The brads are colored to blend in, so you might also need a good light and a magnifying glass.

Back
Top Bottom