What's a good pair of bookshelf speakers for an Eico HF-81?

Eafnb

I'm planning to buy the Kef Q100 to pair with an Eico HF-81, would the Eico be enough to power the Q100s with 14wpc, or should I go for a different pair of speakers?

I love Ohm Acoustics speakers...
Here's mine
View attachment 1225373
You know, oddly enough there is an upcoming garage sale selling a pair of OHM speakers in my area I'm not sure if it's the Model L though. Sadly I'm looking for something smaller like the Q100s or the Elac B6 (which is something I also should've specified :confused:).

I'm planning to buy the Kef Q100 to pair with an Eico HF-81, would the Eico be enough to power the Q100s with 14wpc, or should I go for a different pair of speakers?
When i was using my 81, i had a pair of JBL L112 which a little big but can be condsidered "bookshelf" speakers. The L100 are the same drivers in a slightly different arrangement that were very popular as studio monitors way back in the day.

The KEF's are not very efficient ~86 dB, so they will not play very loudly on a small amplifier like your Eico. I would look for something closer to or greater than 90 dB efficiency.

Last edited:
I'd look in to getting something in the mid 90 dB/1 watt/1 Meter. Dynaco A 25 would be about the easiest option for a bookshelf or AR 4x. Both of those are 90ish dB/1 watt/1 meter efficient.

Check out B&W DM601 or the DM602 speakers. I prefer the Series 2 version, better tweeter. If you get the first series, I would recommend replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the crossover with film caps, Much better sound.

I have a pair of AR-4x and love them. Unfortunately, they are relatively insensitive. I don't think they're above 87dB, maybe 85. Nevertheless, they drive well and sound great with my Scott amps (20-25WRMS per channel) and Fisher receivers and amps (25-35WRMS per channel). Your Eico is a great amp, but a little light on power, so, as KentTeffeteller says, you'd want something probably in the 90 dB range for your Eico.
Dave
PS Kent, I haven't found many (any?) acoustic suspension speakers that are much better than mid-80 dB sensitivity, although admittedly it's hard to find the actual specs for the AR-4x.

I'd look in to getting something in the mid 90 dB/1 watt/1 Meter. Dynaco A 25 would be about the easiest option for a bookshelf or AR 4x. Both of those are 90ish dB/1 watt/1 meter efficient.

The Dynaco A25 was measured way back in the 70s as having an efficiency of 82-83dB/1 watt. There was one published report of them being measured at 90dB but it was with a 10 watt signal and at 6'. So increase to 93dB at 3', reduce to 83dB with 1 watt. Both reports were consistent.

Last edited:
The KEF's are not very efficient ~86 dB, so they will not play very loudly on a small amplifier like Your Eico. I would look for something closer to or greater than 90 dB efficiency.
The thing is, is that my room is small so would efficient speakers matter?
How big is your room or listening area?
My room is about 137.7778 sq ft (10ft 8in x 12ft 11in)
Without more info from the OP this is shooting in the dark.
My apologies for not giving more info, this is my first post :(

both a bit large as bookshelf speakers but I have enjoyed both Klipsch kg2s and RB-5/RB-5 IIs with my EICO HF-81...good luck with your choice.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom