I have 3 older large yamaha amps.
P2100
P2200
P2201

I use a P2201 currently to a couple JBL 4675A's
with a Pioneer Spec 1 refurb by some a guy ,
unfortunately my Spec 2 was trashed in transit
back home, with THEIR poor packing.

Anyway, needless, to say....it sounds so nice.

I had viewed a comparison with the looks inside
of 2201 and the infamous Bryston amp...cant remember the
model off hand. I believe it was a thread on this forum.

JBL 4675s are used in Motion Picture studios for mixing and
mastering

Is it true that these amps have similarities to those Bryston
amps?

Can these amps be gone through and cleaned up to make
them really nice?

Who is the Guru for such work? I am in the Northern WV Area.
I would drive to that person if in my region to have them cleaned
and gone through. Currently the P2100 left channel went out last
night.

Hope I am not asking too much and everyone feel free to chime
in on your thoughts and opinions of my setup. I use the above
setup for mix down in my home studio....also NS10s, Paradigm
speakers

Any opinion will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ralph:music:

there are some similarities to the bryston 4B. the heatsinking and transistor mounting schemes are closely related and the amount of filter capacitance is very similar. but that's really all that i can tell. the 4B is dual-mono from the power cord onward, whereas the Yamaha channels share the same +/- rails. i'm not sure how similar the driver and output circuit designs are.

I think this thread has interesting possibilities, because as a possessor of a P2200, I'd like to know what can be done in the way of maintenance and upgrading. So, continue, please...

resurrecting an old thread to gain some ideas about how to troubleshoot and possibly improve (usual DIY or mod ideas) along with possibly providing or installing a speaker protection system (offset sensing and speaker relay) since there seem to be a lot of DIY type add-on circuits which might be used (from DIY audio or EBay sellers). Yes, I'm not sure I would trust offshore engineering and parts, but ya gotta start somewhere.

So what's the possibilities on these old stalwarts of Yamaha Pro?

resurrecting an old thread to gain some ideas about how to troubleshoot and possibly improve (usual DIY or mod ideas) along with possibly providing or installing a speaker protection system (offset sensing and speaker relay) since there seem to be a lot of DIY type add-on circuits which might be used (from DIY audio or EBay sellers). Yes, I'm not sure I would trust offshore engineering and parts, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Speaker protection is not to difficult..Toughest part is finding a place inside the unit to mount a couple heavy current relays (15A or so).

The P2200 came out with the NS-10M and as a result has a cult following in the recording industry. I recently sold a P2200 to a recording engineer and he told me that many famous rock tracks were mastered with a P2200. Today, there is a guy who is refurbing the P2200 and charging big bucks. He is in the L.A. area. Not sure if it is worth it at over $800 but the recording people sure think it is worth it.

Hi Sam,

Yes, I've heard of those mods, not sure if its just this person in SoCal or another across the country. Wanted to see if anyone knew something specific about the mods and how or what is done. Seems to me all the usual cap and op amp mods would be the first things to address, especially since these amps are running 30-35 years old, despite the general robustness and reliability most of these amps show, strict trouble shooting and preventative maintenance would be appropriate, and improve reliability, and peace of mind.

Then any typical tweaking, like improved ore new(er) input differential transistors, reworked or refurbed driver boards and power schemes should be looked at. Goal would be to approach the PC2002's.

I must admit I like the black face meters a whole lot more than the white/cream/yellow faced meters in the PC2002M though.

Yamaha P2200 refurb and mod revisited

Seems like I spoke to a individual in Iowa who worked on this series.
What kind of work do you perform on these to get them to spec
or better performance?

Anybody else out there to chime in?
Comparable quality amps?

Thanks
Happy Thanksgiving
-----------------------------------------------
"Looks like we fooled'em again!" ---Chet Atkins
(What he said to Tommy Emanuel after coming off stage in an uproar of a standing ovation at a gig in Nashville...Tommy said, "That was Chet!")

Have a P-2200, PC-2002, and M-4. They all rock. One has 4 sets of outputs, the others have 3.

2002 is monobridge-switchable. 'Home' model M-4 has RCAs, selectible AC or DC circuitry, and green fluoroscans but the volume controls and switches are not as good as the pro units.

Have a P-2200, PC-2002, and M-4. They all rock. One has 4 sets of outputs, the others have 3.

2002 is monobridge-switchable. 'Home' model M-4 has RCAs, selectible AC or DC circuitry, and green fluoroscans but the volume controls and switches are not as good as the pro units.

FYI, the power switches on PC5002M/PC2002M are the same switch used in an old CR-xx20 receivers. The attenuators are, as expected, pro quality. The M-2 is a similar home model to the PC2002M, not to be confused with "equivalent" with regard to actual circuit design and build.

PC2002M has four pairs of outputs per channel.
M-2 has three pairs.
M-4 has two pairs.

Lots of folks come here for accurate information, so let's be careful about presumptive generalizations without providing real facts.

My experience only.

Didn't say they were equivalent, only that I have them and they clearly have similarities beyond the obvious xformer and heat sinks.

Don't understand what you mean about the power switches, my CR-1020 had a beautiful brushed aluminum flip-control power switch. The square lighted push-buttons of my M-2s and M-4s stick, two of them can't turn off. Lights go out. (Easy to fix, no doubt...but I just use power strip).

My pro units have a large snap-down black on-off switch. Never a problem there on my units. Maybe inside it's all the same...but from the user standpoint, no.

More interesting to me is other differences...direct-coupled? Or what look like balanced connectors. So far I don't have a balanced out pre but it's nice to know the superior connectors are in place.

The speaker connectors on the M-2 work better for spades because the holes for wires have a small diameter by modern standards.

I will stubbornly stand by "they rock". :thmbsp: :D

central Iowa..

A thousand pardons for bumping an old thread.

I would have sent a message, Mr. avionic, but I am a novice poster here and unsure of proper etiquette.

I have two P2100 amps that I would like repaired. One works well but the right channel is slightly weaker than the left. The other amp has issues due to a very poor packing job by an ebay seller and may not be repairable, but I'd like to save it if possible. The scope of my abilities gets blurry beyond R&R potentiometers.

I also have a Bose 1801 that has a loud hum that I would like repaired.

I am in southwest Missouri and am willing to travel and visit central Iowa. My GF and I are retired and love taking road trips. Due to the weight of these things, I am not sure if I can pack secure enough to withstand the shipping rigors.

I hope I don't sound creepy, I would just be thrilled to have these amps repaired and working properly. This little piggy pays cash, if that makes any difference.

Slats

A thousand pardons for bumping an old thread.

I would have sent a message, Mr. avionic, but I am a novice poster here and unsure of proper etiquette.

I have two P2100 amps that I would like repaired. One works well but the right channel is slightly weaker than the left. The other amp has issues due to a very poor packing job by an ebay seller and may not be repairable, but I'd like to save it if possible. The scope of my abilities gets blurry beyond R&R potentiometers.

I also have a Bose 1801 that has a loud hum that I would like repaired.

I am in southwest Missouri and am willing to travel and visit central Iowa. My GF and I are retired and love taking road trips. Due to the weight of these things, I am not sure if I can pack secure enough to withstand the shipping rigors.

I hope I don't sound creepy, I would just be thrilled to have these amps repaired and working properly. This little piggy pays cash, if that makes any difference.

Slats

I have fixed my own p2200 as well as many, many other power amps. I could take a look and it wouldn't be as long drive as I am based in eastern Missouri. I have done work for another AK member, I'll give you his username if you're interested.

Back
Top Bottom