Mcintosh mc 462

Dc83

I just read that mcintosh is set to release the mc 462.
450 watts per channel but with 50 percent more filter space for an increase from 1.8 to 3.0 in dynamic headroom.
Forgive me if this was already posted

I'll let ya'll know what MC452 can do once I get it on the bench to fix this damn meter that keeps randomly stopping....

Of course I'll have to dial it up on the dummy load and see what the story is....

I'll let ya'll know what MC452 can do once I get it on the bench to fix this damn meter that keeps randomly stopping....

Of course I'll have to dial it up on the dummy load and see what the story is....
Kind of suspicious that McIntosh timed the failure of your meter, perfectly, with the release of the MC462, eh?

Kind of suspicious that McIntosh timed the failure of your meter, perfectly, with the release of the MC462, eh?
No way in this lifetime I'll be able to afford to buy another new McIntosh amplifier!! But thats okay, they are made to last a lifetime, so I am happy with that!!:biggrin:

Ha! I was just kidding, obviously. The MC452 is on my shortlist.
I know you were......You have to have a sense of humour spending as much as we do on Audio gear!! and then, there's the race car.........no wonder I am divorced!! Hahahaha...:yikes:

462 is rated 450 watts per channel..but we all know it is a lot more.

Ron-C
Ron, indulge me if you will. If the MC462 now has 3.0dB of headroom (and let's be honest here - how conservative is that really?) it's safe to say that the amplifier can easily eclipse it's 450wpc power rating continuously at the onset of Power Guard. My bet would be that is somewhere in the 700 - 750wpc range. Why then wouldn't McIntosh take the opportunity to name the amplifier more appropriately? Since the MC500 and MC502 are prior model numbers, I had suspected that the new amp would be an MC552 - still conservative, but within line of expectation of rated vs actual for McIntosh amplifiers. Obviously I was wrong. However, for the life of me, I cannot understand the reasoning why the model number MC462 was chosen - what a missed opportunity.

Also, can the new amplifier be operated into mono loads? If not, why? The MC402 is also quad balanced and parallel mono is an option. For some folks, this would be an immediate wallet opener as an upgrade path allows them to add to what they already own.

Don't get me wrong. I haven't traded in my McIntosh membership card. I'd just like to know the reasoning.

Also, can the new amplifier be operated into mono loads? If not, why? The MC402 is also quad balanced and parallel mono is an option. For some folks, this would be an immediate wallet opener as an upgrade path allows them to add to what they already own.
That was the first piece of information I looked for, when I saw the posted specs of this amp. Unfortunately, it cannot.

Last edited:
Because they want you to buy the monoblocks, why buy two stereo amplifiers just to bridge/parallel them them, doesn't make any sense, just buy two monoblocks?

For me, two monoblocks is a lot of extra money, over a single stereo amp, that I don't currently have. If I could buy a new stereo amp, with the knowledge that I could add another somewhere down the road, that might make the decision to "settle", for the less expensive amp, much easier.

Who knows, maybe I would never feel the need to get the second amp, but it would be nice to have the option of eventual 900+ wpc monoblocks, 450+ of which can be enjoyed from day one.

My point exactly. The price of admission. Why not give the customer a way to get there in steps?

I personally would never purchase mono power amplifiers as they offer no flexibility. A pair of mono capable stereo power amps OTOH - mono blocks, four high powered channels, biamping, downsize-a-bility ..

I'm just trying to figure out why they don't have the bridging/parallel option on the new amps, there has to be a logical reason...

I'm just trying to figure out why they don't have the bridging/parallel option on the new amps, there has to be a logical reason...
Oh I get it. The way you worded that ... Had to break out the orphan Annie decoder ring!

Oh I get it. The way you worded that ... Had to break out the orphan Annie decoder ring!
I was paraphrasing McIntosh, or what I think they'd say......Certainly does give you a stepping stone approach to mono blocks having strapping capabilities, but I sense they want you to go all in with two dedicated Mono blocks...

I can see reasoning why McIntosh amps no longer are bridgeable to the the 1000 plus WPC ranges. The MC462 will cover 98 percent of the new speaker market peak power demands. Heck even the MC611 probably covers 99.8 percent of the new and used speaker market for peak power needs.

To need to buy more power, where you will really use all of it, you are talking big line arrays, mega expensive speakers, or you are building huge sound reinforcement systems. They left the later market with MC2600. There is not a current in business amplifier company that sells an amp that fills every purchasers speaker niche better than McIntosh.

There are few of us gung ho enough and demanding enough that will buy and place huge power requirement speakers into their home systems. Two reasons: speaker price and wife acceptance factor. Those that can afford the current huge monoblocks and line array trophy speakers also can afford the trophy wife that is not trying to control everything in a man’s life.

I can’t see ever not using monoblocks again in my main system, after the step up from having strapped and bridged stereo amps in the past. There are plenty of reliable great vintage McIntosh amps that fill the needs for the bridge and strap crowd or new HT Mcintosh needs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom