Fisher TFM-300 Up and Running!

artsybob

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Finally got my Fisher TFM-300 tuner restored and made it part of my stereo system! (I'm running it through my Realistic SAF-40D integrated tube amp). Sounds great, and I just love the way it lights up from the red stereo beacon light to the grid pattern the metal case projects onto the wall. I did a full recapping job and had my amp tech look at it (even though he usually only works on tube gear). Everything else on it looks great except perhaps the 6HA5 tube will need replacing in the near future. fisher1.jpg fisher2.jpg

In addition to everything else I also got a new display bulb installed and glued the "Golden Synchrode" sticker back onto the tuning capacitor housing unit

I recently picked up its' little brother the TFM-200 complete with original wood case for cheap. It's waiting for a cleaning and refurb. I hope the results turn out as nice as yours.

If you light a candle and play "Dark Side of the Moon", do you see your future? :D

...or do you hear Bill Price calling people in the Chicago area asking them to name their favorite radio station? (The correct answer in the 1970s was "WLS Musicradio.") :)

Interesting backstory to this tuner: Sometime in the '90s, my uncle used to be a custodian for an apartment complex. A tenant who had recently moved out must have been fixing electronics out of his apartment and he left this tuner and a few other items behind on the curb. My uncle picked it up with hopes of restoring it, but it proceeded to stay in his closet until last summer. After fixing up my Realistic integrated tube amp, I was looking for another project to work on and asked him about the tuner. He gave it to me because at that point it was just taking up space and he had no plans to incorporate it into his stereo system. When I had my amp tech look at it he discovered one of the transistors had a kink in one of its leads and it wasn't making proper contact, causing the right channel to go out. Once he straightened the lead out, the tuner was as good as new and I discovered what had baffled the amateur repairman over 20 years ago.

I recently picked up its' little brother the TFM-200 complete with original wood case for cheap. It's waiting for a cleaning and refurb. I hope the results turn out as nice as yours.

Let us know how that turns out!

I think it is a really handsome unit. The red buttons are a little discordant. I own one and it sounds pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom