Todays Speakers vs Vintage Speakers

It matters not. You get way more bang for your buck buying vintage rather than new at today's going rate and I am not at all the only one in this thread to point that out. Many have pointed that out wether those words found their way into the first post or not due to its relevance to the subject at hand.
Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it even when you are wrong. :)

I agree with much of this, except the what technology question.

Cones are not all created equally. I'm sure all will agree. They weren't back then; they aren't now.

Technology has advanced with resulting improvements in materials (stiffer, lighter alloys, smaller magnets), and in manufacturing (eg, gold deposition processes, highly consistent thicknesses, and forming complex structures/shapes for rigidity). Compliance has improved. Someone more knowledgeable than I could cite more factors. Cones have improved. Design has improved. Whether these result in better sound depends on the particular models compared, and the ear, preferences and biases of the listener, among other factors - the usual suspects, like ancillary gear and room.

Cars have benefited from evolving tech, as has medicine and just about every human endeavor. Not surprising that audio has also. That doesn't at all mean that every new speaker sounds better than every vintage, obviously, nor vice versa. You get what you pay for (hopefully; research choices), but it was no more true this year than yesteryear.

The issue with modern gear isn't the technology. It's the market-driven engineering. The market wants sound bars, not basement disco bars...

I simply cannot replace my Crown Cts 600 with DSP superpowers with a vintage amplifier, but it was given to me free, and is not a speaker, so it doesn't count ;)

The issue with modern gear isn't the technology. It's the market-driven engineering. The market wants sound bars, not basement disco bars...

I neither shop for, look at, nor consider sound bars. There seems to still be a thriving niche market for great speakers, judging by what is available. I don't see sound bars influencing their design, so I utterly miss your point. Missed the one concerning disco bars, too. Do you know the price of eggs in China right now? I have been wondering about that.

I neither shop for, look at, nor consider sound bars. There seems to still be a thriving niche market for great speakers, judging by what is available. I don't see sound bars influencing their design, so I utterly miss your point. Missed the one concerning disco bars, too. Do you know the price of eggs in China right now? I have been wondering about that.
You might not, but the "market" sure does. The thriving niche of great speakers is awesome, but always more expensive than "better" sounding vintage speakers, IMO.

You might not, but the "market" sure does. The thriving niche of great speakers is awesome, but always more expensive than "better" sounding vintage speakers, IMO.

Oh, I see. The "market" also likes iPhones, Belgian chocolate and gourmet coffee. All three of those cost more new than used, too. But there's still that egg thing gone completely unexplained. Ah, the mysteries of life...

Oh, I see. The "market" also likes iPhones, Belgian chocolate and gourmet coffee. All three of those cost more new than used, too. But there's still that egg thing gone completely unexplained. Ah, the mysteries of life...
There's still that "value" thing for most people, too. Such a mystery, indeed.

At this point I don't know whether this question can ever be answered in the absolute. Cosmetic condition has by far the most bearing on value for any given model but this has absolutely no bearing on performance, whereas cosmetic perfection with new is a given.

I recall a pair AR90s that were recently sold on the auction site that were NIB (aside of the top of the box in order to photograph) that sold for ~ $5,000. The price is not so much based on the AR90's performance (although highly regarded), but the fact of the rarity of a pair of perfectly preserved 40 year old examples that were near high end when they were new. In my mind, however there is little question that better could be had for the same $5,000 in new, and probably even for $2,500.

For all practical purposes, there is really no clear answer because again, there are simply too many variables involved. There is no question that condition will bear a significant premium in vintage - and usually the premium entailed tends to make the comparable alternatives in new that much more attractive.

Its not red herring even though you disagree. It was industry prevalent back in the days because there was lack of tools to properly model measure, and test the products.
Your constant repeating of your opinion doesn't make misconceptions into facts. Painting any vintage JBL as a "west-coast" sound is simply not factual and really only applies to one speaker design which was intended to provide the same frequency response as the ubiquitous Altec studio monitors of the day but in a smaller, less expensive package which JBL called "control" monitors. Again, it's not true of JBLs before that series or since. Measurement tools were obviously available and were used to mimic the Altecs. For those who wanted a flat response there were plenty of JBLs both prior and after the 4311/L100 that would provide it. What you continue to deride as "west-coast" sound was deliberate and not an accident, but it was not the heart and soul of a JBL or, in particular, their studio monitors. And it's not what most of us look for when we choose vintage JBLs over modern speakers.
4345-14-2s.jpg.html

At this point I don't know whether this question can ever be answered in the absolute. Cosmetic condition has by far the most bearing on value for any given model but this has absolutely no bearing on performance, whereas cosmetic perfection with new is a given.

I recall a pair AR90s that were recently sold on the auction site that were NIB (aside of the top of the box in order to photograph) that sold for ~ $5,000. The price is not so much based on the AR90's performance (although highly regarded), but the fact of the rarity of a pair of perfectly preserved 40 year old examples that were near high end when they were new. In my mind, however there is little question that better could be had for the same $5,000 in new, and probably even for $2,500.

For all practical purposes, there is really no clear answer because again, there are simply too many variables involved. There is no question that condition will bear a significant premium in vintage - and usually the premium entailed tends to make the comparable alternatives in new that much more attractive.

Tekton would like to have a word.

There's still that "value" thing for most people, too. Such a mystery, indeed.

Value is important to all, but not all perceive value in the same way. No mystery to that. The mystery is what sound bars had to do with any of this; that was the price of eggs in China.

Lets give it 3 decades to be generous which brings one back to the 90s, which is still younger than vintage.
Major players KEF and Infinity used computer design and analysis as early as the late 60's early 70's;)

Value is important to all, but not all perceive value in the same way. No mystery to that. The mystery is what sound bars had to do with any of this; that was the price of eggs in China.

I can directly attribute two purchase of amazing tower speakers to the influence on the “market” that Sound Bars are exerting. You might not be buying speakers from the same “socioeconomic strata” that I am. To each Thiele own.

If I / we have it all wrong, then set it straight.

Name brand new speakers that I can purchase today at a retail store for less than $1000 that will outperform the JBL L112.

Name brand new speakers that I can purchase today at a retail store for less than $500 that will outperform JBL L110.

1967 Shelby Cobra - 0-60 in 6.5 sec --------- Price: Fair condition $111,000, Concours condition $252,000

2018 Shelby Cobra - 0-60 in 4.3 sec --------- Price $54,000

New cars surely have better performance, but you know you REALLY want to drive up in that '67 Shelby :thumbsup:

I forgot that cars and speakers are almost exactly the same thing.

How about something else just as irrelevant.

hammer 1967 - drives nails.
hammer 2018 - drives nails.

Not all items improve / mature at the same rate - if at all.;)

If I / we have it all wrong, then set it straight.

Name brand new speakers that I can purchase today at a retail store for less than $1000 that will outperform the JBL L112.

Name brand new speakers that I can purchase today at a retail store for less than $500 that will outperform JBL L110.

Depends entirely upon who assesses the performance. Your opinion is clear, but that's all it is.

Back
Top Bottom