Using Yamaha's YPAO for speaker setup.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Used the RX-A770's YPAO speaker setup system for the first time with the Monitor 10B's in proper working order. The A770 has just a single point setup. The multi point system starts with the next model up the line. I have read a great deal about this system. It has some short comings in the automatic settings that need to be corrected in the manual mode. The biggest problem is for the front R/L, and surround speakers it defaults to the large speaker size. In the front in the large speaker setting with stereo sources the subwoofer is disabled. The 10B's can, especially now, can handle 95% of the types of music I listen to but some of the electronica has very deep bass that has a dynamic range that can cause them to get snappish. Letting the subwoofer handle these very low frequencies prevents this and improves the over all sound. I manually have it set for 60Hz. The surrounds are RTi-A3's decidedly not large speakers. I manually set them to send 80Hz to the subwoofer. The YPAO is set in the flat mode.

Many of the magazine reviewers of the YPAO are critical of it's automatic settings for home theater. The most notable is, again the LFE settings for movies many say a setting of 100Hz is best. I have tried this especially with a blast-o-rama Marvel movies it does seem to be the best.

If I want pure stereo I just select Pure Direct Mode which turns the Yamaha into a straight 2 channel stereo amp.

I was very pleased the YPAO system check found no issues with any of speakers, no errors, no phasing issues. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Used the RX-A770's YPAO speaker setup system for the first time with the Monitor 10B's in proper working order. The A770 has just a single point setup. The multi point system starts with the next model up the line. I have read a great deal about this system. It has some short comings in the automatic settings that need to be corrected in the manual mode. The biggest problem is for the front R/L, and surround speakers it defaults to the large speaker size. In the front in the large speaker setting with stereo sources the subwoofer is disabled. The 10B's can, especially now, can handle 95% of the types of music I listen to but some of the electronica has very deep bass that has a dynamic range that can cause them to get snappish. Letting the subwoofer handle these very low frequencies prevents this and improves the over all sound. I manually have it set for 60Hz. The surrounds are RTi-A3's decidedly not large speakers. I manually set them to send 80Hz to the subwoofer. The YPAO is set in the flat mode.

Many of the magazine reviewers of the YPAO are critical of it's automatic settings for home theater. The most notable is, again the LFE settings for movies many say a setting of 100Hz is best. I have tried this especially with a blast-o-rama Marvel movies it does seem to be the best.

If I want pure stereo I just select Pure Direct Mode which turns the Yamaha into a straight 2 channel stereo amp.

I was very pleased the YPAO system check found no issues with any of speakers, no errors, no phasing issues. :thumbsup:
I use YPAO on my RX-V1800 AVR.

The nice thing about the Yammies is that they have memory settings.

After several listening sessions I settled on using the YPAO setting for "Fronts" (calibration/eq of all other speakers set to match my fronts).

I have one memory setting for movies with all speakers set to small and the xover set at 100Hz - for that scary LFE stuff.

For multi-channel music I have another memory setting; pretty much the same for movies, but with the center level pulled down several dB's cuz the auto level sets it too high and ruins the soundstage by being too centrally located.

And for just 2-channel, I have a third setting with fronts to large, then select the "Straight" function which still gives subwoofer outputs from 2 channel sources; sounds better this way to me.

I am just starting to use Yamaha's YPAO. I have a lot to learn. I know one this it is far superior to the Audyssey system I had on the Onkyo.

I was impressed with it, it hit my low cut off points right where they were suppose to be when I designed my speakers 52hz on the mains and 80 hz on the surround channels.
It also showed that my center channel (bose 201) is extremely weak as it needs a 30db increase hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom