Would this AV Surround system be an upgrade?

DangerBoy

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 in for the HDMI board replacement.

In the meantime, I started looking at a new entertainment center cabinet since my old one fell apart. I found one I like but it's not really deep enough to accomodate the Onkyo. That started me looking for a newer but second hand replacement with a smaller footprint that would fit inside the cabinet I like. That lead me to find a slightly more modern AVR with a speaker system that I could possibly replace my whole system with.

Here's what I've got right now for my Surround-sound system:

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809 with HDMI board replaced
Front Surrounds: Boston Acoustics Classic Series CS260 ii Floorstanding Speakers
Center Channel: BA Classic Series CS 225 ii
Rear Surrounds: BA Classic Series CS 26 ii Bookshelfs
Sub: CS Classic Series Sub10 ii

Here's what I could upgrade?/switch to for not much money after selling the above system:

AVR: Denon AVR-S900W
Front Surrounds: Klipsch Reference Series RB600 Bookshelfs
Center Channel: Klipsch Reference Series RC500
Rear Surrounds Klipsch Reference Series RS400 surround speakers
Sub: Klipsch Reference Series SW110

I know the Denon AVR S900W unit isn't the lastest tech and doesn't have Dolby Atmos but AFAIK it's a few years newer than the NR809 and can do a few things the NR809 can't.

From what I've read, the above Klipsch Reference series speakers were originally made for the Canadian market. I've not had any experience w/ Klipsch as a brand but it seems from what I've read on AK they have a good reputation and loyal following. I think BA does as well though.

So, would this Denon/Klipsch Reference Series system be much of an improvement from my current Onkyo/BA Classic Series system? Would making the switch be worth the bother?

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that another option for me would be just to sell off the Onkyo TX-NR809 and replace it with an Atmos enabled Onkyo TX NR747 and then just keep the BA Classic Series speaker system. I'm thinking the cost of this upgrade would only be in the order of $200 or less.

People seems to have a love/hate relationship with Klipsch due to the use of horn loaded tweeters, i.e. some people think it's the best thing since sliced bread while others find it screechy. I don't have any Klipsch speakers so don't have an opinion. Just as importantly, Klipsch will likely sound very different from the Boston's which you may like more or just as likely regret having purchased.

Change is easy, improvement, not so easy. The Klipsch speakers will most definitely have a different sound than what you currently have but whether or not it is an improvement is a personal preference,

The speakers determine the overall sound of the system, not the receiver. IIWY, I'd replace the receiver first and see how that works out for you,

Do you like the sound of your current speakers? Go to a store so you can listen to Klipsch vs other brands to hear the difference and to see if you like the "Klipsch sound".

The speakers determine the overall sound of the system, not the receiver. IIWY, I'd replace the receiver first and see how that works out for you,

I disagree with this statement. I've auditioned many pre/pros and a couple of receivers with the same speakers, and the sonics changed with each unit.

I disagree with this statement. I've auditioned many pre/pros and a couple of receivers with the same speakers, and the sonics changed with each unit.
You're allowed to disagree, but I'll stick with what I've said. While electronics might subtly alter the sound, the speakers determine the overall sound signature of the system. I've noticed this from my first days in this hobby in the mid sixties.

In the meantime, I started looking at a new entertainment center cabinet since my old one fell apart. I found one I like but it's not really deep enough to accomodate the Onkyo.

I had a similar problem so I cut the rear panel of the entertainment center to let the AVR stick out through the back. Much easier to get to the wiring this way ;)

You're allowed to disagree, but I'll stick with what I've said. While electronics might subtly alter the sound, the speakers determine the overall sound signature of the system. I've noticed this from my first days in this hobby in the mid sixties.
And I'll stick with mine. Also been involved from the 60's on.

BAs to Klipsches is a drastic change in voicing. I don't care for Boston, lots of people don't care for Klipsch. The Onkyo may be a hard sell, even after repair. It's not exactly a secret about those issues.

Earlier boston speakers were OK, but they could never handle the power they were rated at. later Bostons from the 90's had very resonant tweeters, which had to be tamed, but the speaker power handling improved. I much preferred Snell and M&K. M&K moved to Denmark, which improved the quality control with the take over. Snell got lost in the Shuffle and that's a shame. So for me its M&K first. They do require some power however just like Snell and Boston. Klipsch HT speaker are more efficient, but I don't like the sound of their HT products. The Heritage series I can tolerate. But I prefer the sound of Crites new tweeters. They aren't as ragged and distressed sounding as Klipsch current and previous units. The older T-35 tweeter didn't handle much power, had slight roll-off but was very listenable, if you didn't get the units with the early 3rd order crossovers for the tweeters. I want to hear the new Forte III soon, just for a reference. One of my favorite HT systems using Klipsch speakers had 5 Hersey speakers and two SW 15 subwoofers, that owner used with a Denon Processor and separate amp that allowed him to use the subs as stereo subs in the Pure analog mode and as a pair of subs in either the 5.2 mode or 7.2 mode. I didn't get to hear his system as I retired before he added the 6th and 7th Hersey. But friends at work said the system was great. Heresy speakers are more efficient than in the past, so Finding a big AVR can save a bunch of money over buying a separate processor HT amp pair, though I much prefer the pairs..

Speakers make a great difference in the overall sound. You can have a modest system in terms of music power, but a well tuned set of speakers will translate the system's sound into a respectable sonic result.

With that said, it doesn't alleviate the importance of a quality unit. Having a mediocre unit will compromise the quality of the sound. You can get loudness out of almost any system, but clarity, trueness of sound and all around high quality fidelity will make its mark, and will be the difference between outstanding music and poor sounding music (at any sound level).

I'd keep the receiver until it stops working since you already had it fixed. Onkyo may not be the most reliable AVR (many other brands have problems with the HDMI boards too), But their audio performance is typically on par with any others in same price range. My 2001 Onkyo doesn't even have HDMI, But It's analog audio is first rate. Once you have a collection of a few dozen Dolby Atmos 4k Blu-ray disc's (@$35 -$50 each), Then start worrying about a Dolby Atmos AVR.

Changing the speakers will by far have biggest impact on SQ with any decent AVR's. The speakers might be an upgrade for HT use where a dynamic speaker with a reasonable amount of accuracy might be preferred. In that regard I Think Klipsch would be a fine choice here. You don't need a different sub, So keep your sub 10. For music, Keep your BA260's and put them on B or zone 2 speakers if you have the room. They may be better for music, smoother and warmer anyway.

An alternative is to buy a full set (5.1 - 7.1) speakers that work better with both HT and music. PSB, Monitor Audio and others make some that will, But they are likely way more expensive then the Klipsch on sale.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom