KLH 17's

dhmcclain1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So, I feel confident that this has been covered before, but....I am picking up a pair of KLH 17's tomorrow morning. From the pics, they appear to be in very good shape, but the surrounds on the woofers look "dry". I went to the vintage ar seller on the bay, to find that the woofer surround dope isn't available. Are there alternatives? I read in these forums that the dope from vintage ar was the best stuff to get. Is it still available somewhere else? Thanks for any help, and if need be, just point me in the right direction. Thanks again!

butyl rubber + Toluene, my chemist girl says be careful to wear gloves, face shield, and throw away clothes. Do it outside or in a vent ect. ect.

butyl rubber + Toluene, my chemist girl says be careful to wear gloves, face shield, and throw away clothes. Do it outside or in a vent ect. ect.
Well, I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to cheat death to seal the surrounds.:eek: But, if that's what it takes, then so be it. Gimme good bass response, or gimme death!:) Thanks for the reply!

Check with RoyC here on AK or on CSP. I think he supplies the goo to vintage-ar on the big auction site. I believe you can get it direct from him.

Last edited:
You are very welcome. BTW, I won't use anything else, so if Roy's stuff becomes unavailable then the community and I have a problem.
This will be my first pair of speakers with cloth surrounds, but probably not my last. Only caught the vintage bug in the last year or so, but there seems to be no cure. Don't wanna be cured, anyway.:)
Anyway, here's hoping Roy's stuff stays available for everyone.

Did you contact the vintage-ar seller on Ebay? I find that he does not always keep his listings current. Good chance the sealant will be listed sometime after the holiday.

If the sealant is currently unavailable wait it out until he has more up for sale. Don't do anything else. Period!

Once you get some or Roy's sealant you'll want to only use enough in a thin layer to substantially seal it. It doesn't have to be totally sealed. There is a push test where you push in the woofer hold it for a second and then let it go. If it takes a couple of seconds to return then your air seal is good enough. Over-sealing will stiffen the surrounds and it will hurt the sound quality. In this case less can be more.

BTW, the 17's are decent speakers and worth the effort. I restored a set for my son and his wife as part of a Christmas gift a couple years ago. They love them.

Did you contact the vintage-ar seller on Ebay? I find that he does not always keep his listings current. Good chance the sealant will be listed sometime after the holiday.
Thanks. Did contact him and he is currently sold out of the sealant.

If the sealant is currently unavailable wait it out until he has more up for sale. Don't do anything else. Period!
Thanks. Have no intention of trying anything else.

Once you get some or Roy's sealant you'll want to only use enough in a thin layer to substantially seal it. It doesn't have to be totally sealed. There is a push test where you push in the woofer hold it for a second and then let it go. If it takes a couple of seconds to return then your air seal is good enough. Over-sealing will stiffen the surrounds and it will hurt the sound quality. In this case less can be more,

BTW, the 17's are decent speakers and worth the effort. I restored a set for my son and his wife as part of a Christmas gift a couple years ago. They love them.
Thanks. Haven't done the push test yet. Had to hook them up and listen first. When I get the sealant I will try to be easy with it. Have seen some of these speakers with sealant everywhere, like a five year old did it. Of course I am capable of such things myself, so will be careful..

Use Larry's (Vintage AR) contact info on ebay and ask him about it.
I did ask him and he has sold out of it right now. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks again for all the responses. AK is an amazing resource. Help is always on the way!

Hello new member here l recently purchased a pair of KLH model 17 and would like to acquire this resealant does anyone here have an idea when or where I can get some I am planning to have the speakers recapped and have used this site as an informational tool thanks any advice would be much appreciated

Hello new member here l recently purchased a pair of KLH model 17 and would like to acquire this resealant does anyone here have an idea when or where I can get some I am planning to have the speakers recapped and have used this site as an informational tool thanks any advice would be much appreciated

Contact RoyC here on AK. He makes the goo and can provide it direct. He also supplies it to the vintage-ar seller on flea bay. Read up on its use on various threads here on AK and the lack of good alternatives. I won't use anything else.

BTW, let me be the first to welcome you to AK!!!!

Thought I would update...Contacted Roy here on AK, and he was kind enough to sell me some of the sealer. Per his instructions, I put a very light coating on, let that rest for a couple hours, and then applied a second light coating. Using the push test, it seems to have done the trick. Woofer returns slower than before. Thanks, RoyC!
@Ed G...I am relatively new to AK also. Welcome. This place and its members are amazing. A plethora of knowledgable people, who, best of all, are willing to share their knowledge with the rest of us. Enjoy!

Thanks for the welcome and information I will try to contact RoyC as recommended and go from there

Thanks again ordered the sealant from Vintage AR on EBay today it now appears to be available again , also ordered the Dayton caps looking forward to upgrading the model 17 loudspeakers for use with my Hh Scott 299

Roy is a great guy! He has supplied me with numerous AR parts and the sealer. His only goal is to keep these old queens singing, not to let people ruin woofers with crazy concoctions for surround sealing which ultimately has led to many ruined woofers.

I Have used Roy's sealer many times. Works great. Hope he whips up some more soon. But my wife hates the smell. Really tightened up the bass on my sets of KLH 6 and AR2ax.

Back
Top Bottom