Show us Videos of your systems! Let's see and hear them!

And, finally, the ADS 910's! You may want to wait for 4k resolution to be available for best comparison. Otherwise, enjoy in HD for now.

So, the big question is "how do they compare?" The answer isn't a simple, well, X is better than Y because X is bigger and bigger is more betterer. Now size obviously does lend to the strengths of the L2030. The 910's simply can't compete with the dual 14" woofers in each cabinet. When I first got the 910's home, I hadn't listened to the L2030's for a couple weeks and I thought the bass was pretty damn impressive. And believe me, IT IS, it's tuneful, articulate and room filling. Absolutely splendid bass that is quite comparable to my old L1530's, and rightly so given the similar driver compliment of dual 10" woofers per cabinet. So while the bass of the 910's is more than adequate, once I fired up the L2030's, I remembered one of the things that make them so special. The bass just digs deeper and is more impactful. It's the kind of bass you can feel through the floor and in your chest. What makes it special to me is that it while it is both more plentiful and impactful, it's no less articulate. It doesn't muddy the mids or mask the highs. It is ever present in the room and in your body, but never in a manner that bloated or overbearing. This is the kind of bass I like.

The character of the midrange is very comparable between the two sets of speakers. It is soooooo smooth and easy to listen to for hours. I should mention here that I listened to the L2030's in "source line" mode which means all four midranges are working in unison. While both speakers share similar tonal qualities, the L2030's were a bit more immersive. There was greater depth to voices and instruments. The room takes on the voice of the speakers from front to back and side to side. The 910 midrange stood a little more forward and present in the room. Still the same wonderful lush quality, but it stood out more in front of the speakers and was more pointed.

High frequencies varied more substantially between the speakers. The L2030 high frequencies transitioned smoothly with the mids and decayed more slowly. This makes them ever so smooth. The 910's were more detailed and forward in their high frequency presentation. This isn't a bad thing. They're not bright or harsh and never fatiguing, the highs are just more pronounced. Now, this could very well be due to the Clarity Caps in the top end of the crossovers. I described it before as a little more sizzle than I'm used to hearing out of ADS speakers and I think that's an accurate description. This lends a little more clarity up top and highs that linger in the air a little longer.

Lastly, we get to imaging. This is a no contest. The L2030's image very well and the 910's simply don't do it better. This is expected. I certainly don't expect a non-mirror imaged pair of speakers to compete in this department. I will say that the 910's do create a central voice and the soundstage can extend beyond the periphery of the speakers. They just can't do it as clearly or defined as the L2030's. The L2030's are exceptional in this regard. Dire Straits Private Investigations is so much fun to listen to on either pair of speakers. There's a drum kick in the last 3 minutes that the 910's put outside the periphery of the speakers. The L2030's put it high right near the ceiling. It's impressive.

We all root for the underdog. It's human nature for most of us, I think. The 910's are an exceptional pair of speakers. Truly, they are, and this pair will remain in my household for a very long time. The L2030's just provide a more immersive, expansive and visceral listening experience and that's what makes them so special. Sitting in my listening chair, the L2030's allow me to hear the music, see the music, and feel the music. It doesn't get any better than that.
Excellent comparison review, and pretty much what I expected. The 910's though are outstanding as well. Great to hear the two this way. It's a special treat for all of us to be able to hear the 2030's, and I know I appreciate all you've put into them and your terrific sounding videos.
Cheers, Glenn

And, finally, the ADS 910's! You may want to wait for 4k resolution to be available for best comparison. Otherwise, enjoy in HD for now.

So, the big question is "how do they compare?" The answer isn't a simple, well, X is better than Y because X is bigger and bigger is more betterer. Now size obviously does lend to the strengths of the L2030. The 910's simply can't compete with the dual 14" woofers in each cabinet. When I first got the 910's home, I hadn't listened to the L2030's for a couple weeks and I thought the bass was pretty damn impressive. And believe me, IT IS, it's tuneful, articulate and room filling. Absolutely splendid bass that is quite comparable to my old L1530's, and rightly so given the similar driver compliment of dual 10" woofers per cabinet. So while the bass of the 910's is more than adequate, once I fired up the L2030's, I remembered one of the things that make them so special. The bass just digs deeper and is more impactful. It's the kind of bass you can feel through the floor and in your chest. What makes it special to me is that it while it is both more plentiful and impactful, it's no less articulate. It doesn't muddy the mids or mask the highs. It is ever present in the room and in your body, but never in a manner that bloated or overbearing. This is the kind of bass I like.

The character of the midrange is very comparable between the two sets of speakers. It is soooooo smooth and easy to listen to for hours. I should mention here that I listened to the L2030's in "source line" mode which means all four midranges are working in unison. While both speakers share similar tonal qualities, the L2030's were a bit more immersive. There was greater depth to voices and instruments. The room takes on the voice of the speakers from front to back and side to side. The 910 midrange stood a little more forward and present in the room. Still the same wonderful lush quality, but it stood out more in front of the speakers and was more pointed.

High frequencies varied more substantially between the speakers. The L2030 high frequencies transitioned smoothly with the mids and decayed more slowly. This makes them ever so smooth. The 910's were more detailed and forward in their high frequency presentation. This isn't a bad thing. They're not bright or harsh and never fatiguing, the highs are just more pronounced. Now, this could very well be due to the Clarity Caps in the top end of the crossovers. I described it before as a little more sizzle than I'm used to hearing out of ADS speakers and I think that's an accurate description. This lends a little more clarity up top and highs that linger in the air a little longer.

Lastly, we get to imaging. This is a no contest. The L2030's image very well and the 910's simply don't do it better. This is expected. I certainly don't expect a non-mirror imaged pair of speakers to compete in this department. I will say that the 910's do create a central voice and the soundstage can extend beyond the periphery of the speakers. They just can't do it as clearly or defined as the L2030's. The L2030's are exceptional in this regard. Dire Straits Private Investigations is so much fun to listen to on either pair of speakers. There's a drum kick in the last 3 minutes that the 910's put outside the periphery of the speakers. The L2030's put it high right near the ceiling. It's impressive.

We all root for the underdog. It's human nature for most of us, I think. The 910's are an exceptional pair of speakers. Truly, they are, and this pair will remain in my household for a very long time. The L2030's just provide a more immersive, expansive and visceral listening experience and that's what makes them so special. Sitting in my listening chair, the L2030's allow me to hear the music, see the music, and feel the music. It doesn't get any better than that.

I posted my above just as this one was coming though. I read every word you typed. The thing for me is, there simply was no competition (for me) Each speaker is a completely different animal from the other, in every way. Each has it's own signature. No ADS speaker I've ever heard in my life will compare to the 2030's. For every reason you stated. At the same time the 910's have their own uniqueness and quality about them. Wouldn't it be boring if they did sound similar. And I'll liken that to a drum kit. There are times, I want to hear more tom tom's then a kick drum. There have been several times I just wanted to hear the music as if the artest's were in the room with me. Then there are other times I wanted to feel like I was at a venue, and sitting more towards the middle of the room rather then next to the stage. At least for me Matt. I would have room for both those 2030's and the 910's.

Also just a thought on imaging. Those 2030's were made to image thus it's design. Turn those speakers around and you'll have those highs and mids bouncing all over the walls and ceilings.

I said it once before @MATT0404 I will never ever tire of hearing your vids my friend. Just awesome fella.
It is my pleasure, Garry. I'm glad you enjoy them!
That sounded great! The bass is felt right in my chest, and I'm listening on headphones! Just outright badass!
Excellent comparison review, and pretty much what I expected. The 910's though are outstanding as well. Great to hear the two this way. It's a special treat for all of us to be able to hear the 2039's, and I know I appreciate all you've put into them and your terrific sounding videos.
Cheers, Glenn
Thanks, Glenn! I think it's the outcome we all expected. Though, I'll tell ya', having not listened to the L2030's for a couple weeks leading up to the 910's (blown fuse in my amp that wasn't available locally), I was a bit skeptical they could be that much better. But...after firing them up on the A5, I immediately remembered what made them so special. That's not to say the 910's aren't special. They most certainly are. I'll always remember the feeling when I bought my first pair of ADS, L1530's, and how my jaw dropped when I fired them up with my Dynaco ST-70. The 910's give me the same feeling. A true full range speaker with a lush midrange and non-fatiguing character. Man, they are great speakers, all of them.

Ok looks like I’m finallly not blocked so I’m going to let it go ! Don’t judge me. Lol

System chain: Infinity Kappa 8.1, Parasound P5 Pre, 2 Carver A500x in bi amp mode,
Maranta Cd 5005, recorded on iPhone 6s Plus

Last edited:

Ok looks like I’m finallly not blocked so I’m going to let it go ! Don’t judge me. Lol

System chain: Infinity Kappa 8.1, Parasound P5 Pre, 2 Carver A500x in bi amp mode,
Maranta Cd 5005, recorded on iPhone 6s Plus

Blocked by SME on copyright grounds.

I decided to record Justin Hayward Blue Guitar up close.
What a difference in the sound by placing the cellphone close to the speakers has in the bandwidth.
Moving the cellphone around makes a difference in the sound.

I published My Guitar Gently Weeps but Youtube deleted it.

Here is some live Moody Blues.

Is it safe to be in the same room with all of that Ferro Fluid hanging around??
BTW, excellent speakers, and amplification too!

Sounds real good Jim! I sure do like that design .... and your music choices too. Heh ... Yah, you ain't gonna get by with no Beatles off YT. That said, I'm proud of you for trying :beerchug:

Sounds real good Jim! I sure do like that design .... and your music choices too. Heh ... Yah, you ain't gonna get by with no Beatles off YT. That said, I'm proud of you for trying :beerchug:

One day I am going to put a video on YT of tilling soil at my farm.
I wonder what copyright issue they will have with that?

I decided to record Justin Hayward Blue Guitar up close.
What a difference in the sound by placing the cellphone close to the speakers has in the bandwidth.
Moving the cellphone around makes a difference in the sound.

I published My Guitar Gently Weeps but Youtube deleted it.

Here is some live Moody Blues.

Those sound great!

Back
Top Bottom