Ipod 1st Gen Question

dfunghi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Since I have spent days trying to solve this w/ Apple I turn to you folks here.

I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch loaded with 375 songs. My iMac running OSX 10 El Cap can not sync or even see it. I get error saying:
"iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "XXXXXX XXXX iPod” because an invalid response was received from the device."

AM I just SOL and have to buy a new iPod and replace all my music?

TIA,
D

Since I have spent days trying to solve this w/ Apple I turn to you folks here.

I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch loaded with 375 songs. My iMac running OSX 10 El Cap can not sync or even see it. I get error saying:
"iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "XXXXXX XXXX iPod” because an invalid response was received from the device."

AM I just SOL and have to buy a new iPod and replace all my music?

TIA,
D

Your music should exist on either or both of your computer and iTunes store in addition to the iTunes library on your iMac. Can't you play the music on your iMac without the iPod attached in any way?

Try upgrading the iPod Touch IOS.

You do need to have the Touch connected to iTunes to upgrade the IOS.

If iTunes won't recognize the Touch:

When iTunes on your computer doesn't recognize your connected device, you might see an unknown error or a "0xE" error. If you do, follow these steps and try to connect your device again after each step:
  1. Make sure that your iOS device is unlocked and on the Home screen.
  2. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes that works with your computer.
  3. Check that you have the latest software on your Mac or Windows PC.
  4. Make sure that your device is turned on.
  5. If you see a Trust this Computer alert, unlock your device and tap Trust.
  6. Unplug all USB accessories from your computer except for your device. Try each USB port to see if one works. Then try a different Apple USB cable.
  7. Restart your computer and iPhone, iPad, or iPod
Here are some options for you when trying to get the iMAC to recognize the Touch:

https://ccm.net/forum/affich-119345-computer-doesn-t-recognize-ipod

Headed to Genius Bar but a buddy told me my iPod is outdated and is unlikely to connect to newer iTunes on iMac. Oddly I can DL all my saved music (from CD) on old iTunes version on an old macbook pro (running OS X El Cap) onto my iPod but now not onto my iPhone!

Sucks being computer illiterate.

Trying to avoid having to take both iPod and iPhone (64GB) with me on a trip. Trying to get music onto iPhone now instead.

OK some progress and surely operator error at play. Not sure how I found it but I found a way to re sync my iPhone with my older macbook pro and that has the bulk of my music on it since it (unlike my iMac) had a DISC reader / writer. I can access iMac and macbook using home sharing but still unable to combine libraries. I think I found a way but we shall see. I am at all times logged in to my one and only iTunes account.

Also no luck at all on having old iPod and either MAC work. Can't update SW on iPod from iPod despite having wifi. Have to find some way to find it on my MAC

Well I at least have both MAC (older macbook and iMac) seeing same library. But loading onto iPod or, as I hoped to do, unloading iPod onto MAC, seems fruitless. 363 songs trapped forever on my iPod. Only two titles I can no longer find in my CD collection luckily. Still I now have to load onto my macbook and share with iMac or buy a disc drive for iMac. So sad Apple took those out of new iMAc.

Note that you SHOULD be able to "share" an optical drive between your MacBook and your iMac. You can also play games having iTunes go out and "collect" all your local, non-iTunes music. Keep plugging away.

Note that you SHOULD be able to "share" an optical drive between your MacBook and your iMac. You can also play games having iTunes go out and "collect" all your local, non-iTunes music. Keep plugging away.
The only way I have been able to do this is to do everything on my MB Pro and then open sharing. Should there be a way to use the optical drive on MB Pro to go directly to iMac w/o having to load info on MB Pro first?

PS Apple Care was no help and was not free. Genius Bar was worthless and simply said to call Apple Care.

Should there be a way to use the optical drive on MB Pro to go directly to iMac w/o having to load info on MB Pro first?

Yup, just do a google search on share mac optical drive and give it a try. Be sure to post back with what how you make out.

I have 5th gen HDD ipods that predate the 1st gen Touch by a couple years that sync just fine with the latest iOS & iTunes versions. I wouldn’t jump to obsolescence due to software. The earlier iPods I had were prone to sync glitches caused by disconnecting before ready to do so. Frequently this would require a full restore to correct. Since iPods have a 1:1 sync relationship with the host computer library there shouldn’t be any loss of music unless it was previously lost by the host computer which of course should be backed up.

I have 5th gen HDD ipods that predate the 1st gen Touch by a couple years that sync just fine with the latest iOS & iTunes versions. I wouldn’t jump to obsolescence due to software. The earlier iPods I had were prone to sync glitches caused by disconnecting before ready to do so. Frequently this would require a full restore to correct. Since iPods have a 1:1 sync relationship with the host computer library there shouldn’t be any loss of music unless it was previously lost by the host computer which of course should be backed up.

My iPod still shows up in iTunes as a previous back up but will not sync anymore. According to Apple it is unlikely it will and they had no clear answer. Since my touch is also wifi I am going to try via iTunes next. I have begun to DL the same CDs on the iMac as were on iPod anyway. Can't find my copy of Love, Beatles though and that is what I wanted to hear the other day when I dragged out iPod oddly. My iPhone is a 64G with 95% empty space so I wan't to load a bunch of music.

Yup, just do a google search on share mac optical drive and give it a try. Be sure to post back with what how you make out.
Will do...

Using MB Pro remotely via sharing is only way to use as CDR. Typically when I have tried that before (and just now again) the CD icon appears but the iMac can not find the actual CD on MB Pro. My time will be better spent now just reloading onto iTunes on MB Pro, then share long enough for iPhone to be loaded from iMAc. Circuitous and odd path but it works.

Using MB Pro remotely via sharing is only way to use as CDR. Typically when I have tried that before (and just now again) the CD icon appears but the iMac can not find the actual CD on MB Pro. My time will be better spent now just reloading onto iTunes on MB Pro, then share long enough for iPhone to be loaded from iMAc. Circuitous and odd path but it works.

Just set my MBP up to share its optical drive with my iMac. Worked with no problem. I loaded a CD with a bunch of photos (JPGs) in the MBP's drive slot. I then saw "Remote Drive" on iMac's Finder. When I opened it, it allowed me to request that the MBP grant me access to its optical drive. Going to the MPB, I accepted the request for access from the iMac. I then went back to the iMac and had full access to the photos on the CD in the MBP's optical drive. I can't tell you how to spend your time the most productively, but I CAN tell you that remote sharing optical drives across Apple machines does indeed work. Good luck with your iPod recovery.

Sharing works but it’s such a PITA considering how cheap non-Apple USB optical drives are.

Agree on PITA compared to local driver; it's why I have drives in or attached to all my computers. I only set up the remote shared drive temporarily to show the OP that it actually does work, after a fashion.

Just set my MBP up to share its optical drive with my iMac. Worked with no problem. I loaded a CD with a bunch of photos (JPGs) in the MBP's drive slot. I then saw "Remote Drive" on iMac's Finder. When I opened it, it allowed me to request that the MBP grant me access to its optical drive. Going to the MPB, I accepted the request for access from the iMac. I then went back to the iMac and had full access to the photos on the CD in the MBP's optical drive. I can't tell you how to spend your time the most productively, but I CAN tell you that remote sharing optical drives across Apple machines does indeed work. Good luck with your iPod recovery.
I did all that and got disc icon but no data..... Forgot actual error but something like "can not open because original source can not be found".

Going to order an external BD drive for about $40.

As a side not tried to use migration assistant to load all data from MBP (not much on there any more) and it froze on MBP. Both systems run same OS and both have SSD.

One reason I love my Sony TV gear is it always finds and mates with other Sony gear. No muss or fuss.

Try upgrading the iPod Touch IOS.

You do need to have the Touch connected to iTunes to upgrade the IOS.

If an invalid response was received from iDevice:

When iTunes on your computer doesn't recognize your connected device, you might see an unknown error or a "0xE" error. If you do, follow these steps and try to connect your device again after each step:
  1. Make sure that your iOS device is unlocked and on the Home screen.
  2. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes that works with your computer.
  3. Check that you have the latest software on your Mac or Windows PC.
  4. Make sure that your device is turned on.
  5. If you see a Trust this Computer alert, unlock your device and tap Trust.
  6. Unplug all USB accessories from your computer except for your device. Try each USB port to see if one works. Then try a different Apple USB cable.
  7. Restart your computer and iPhone, iPad, or iPod
Here are some options for you when trying to get the iMAC to recognize the Touch:

https://ccm.net/forum/affich-119345-computer-doesn-t-recognize-ipod
Thank God, these methods have worked for my iPhone, thank you very much for sharing!!

The only way I have been able to do this is to do everything on my MB Pro and then open sharing. Should there be a way to use the optical drive on MB Pro to go directly to iMac w/o having to load info on MB Pro first?

PS Apple Care was no help and was not free. Genius Bar was worthless and simply said to call Apple Care.

Note, Apple doesn't deal with old hardware as gracefully as it once did. My iPhone SE Version II does work with El Capitan and newer, I am using mine with Monterrey! But I am also using Apple Music and a MacBook Air.

Back
Top Bottom