Lets See All Them Axes

2006 Jimmy Page signature Les Paul Custom
2003 Les Paul standard 60's neck, Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups, complete with broken string.
2003 Les Paul standard 60's neck, Gibson '57 Humbuckers
1999 G&L ASAT, with Bigsby, its standard, and made in USA.
1995 Epiphone Double neck, got the original pickups from my Les Pauls, custom wiring, and its a pig to play....

I think I need another guitar..
IMG_6210.JPG

kevzep - - nice collection of Gibbie's there! And an ASAT with a Bigsby -- verrrrrry nice. I lean more toward the Leo-era G&L's but have to say the guitars that BBE built and continue to build are excellent. Here's a closeup pic of Blues Blue #1 which was conceived by Tim Page from Buffalo Brothers guitars and later became a production model. The top was culled from a piece of quilted maple that Leo had in his office and never used. Seems he hated glued surfaces and kept pushing back on using it while he was alive. There it sat for many years until...

bbclose.jpg

bbclose.jpg
Yea man, thats a nice guitar!! I love ebony fretboards.....I was 18 when I got my first Las Paul Custom, sold the farm, never bought a fast car, or any car for that matter, like my friends did, I bought guitars!!
I wish I still had some of them....
Yes, an original 1959 Les Paul Standard. :D Don't we all? :p
Seriously thought about it in the 1980's......Never going to happen now though!!

Last edited:
Few more pics, these are my three favourite guitars, I play the Custom a lot, and yes its very heavy!! But I have mainly played Les Paul's so I don't really notice it....
The pickup switch is 6 positions, forward is Neck/All Three/Bridge, then Back is middle/neck out of phase, Middle (can't remember lol) and then Middle/Bridge out of phase. There is a coil splitter for the Bridge pickup, I was also going to add one for the neck as well, haven't got around to it yet, and I have had the guitar for 10years!!
The pickups on the G&L are actually fairly high gain, and you can get a very good Ritchie Blackmore type single coil sound....
I use bypass caps on the volume controls to retain a nice glassy clean sound when you roll the volume back...
I am old school, I push the front end of my guitar amps to a little bit distorted, push it over the edge with a double Hot Cake overdrive....Clean is rolling off the volume....
IMG_6499.JPG IMG_6500.JPG IMG_6501.JPG IMG_6497.JPG IMG_6498.JPG IMG_6494.JPG IMG_6495.JPG IMG_6496.JPG

Few more pics, these are my three favourite guitars, I play the Custom a lot, and yes its very heavy!! But I have mainly played Les Paul's so I don't really notice it....
The pickup switch is 6 positions, forward is Neck/All Three/Bridge, then Back is middle/neck out of phase, Middle (can't remember lol) and then Middle/Bridge out of phase. There is a coil splitter for the Bridge pickup, I was also going to add one for the neck as well, haven't got around to it yet, and I have had the guitar for 10years!!
The pickups on the G&L are actually fairly high gain, and you can get a very good Ritchie Blackmore type single coil sound....
I use bypass caps on the volume controls to retain a nice glassy clean sound when you roll the volume back...
I am old school, I push the front end of my guitar amps to a little bit distorted, push it over the edge with a double Hot Cake overdrive....Clean is rolling off the volume....
View attachment 1229603 View attachment 1229605 View attachment 1229606 View attachment 1229607 View attachment 1229609 View attachment 1229610 View attachment 1229611 View attachment 1229612

Cool axes, man. I remember Jimmy Page demonstrating the 6-position switch in that guitar. Sort of like rowing the gears in a sports car. :D

Thanks for sharing the photos.... I'm struggling to not start shopping for more myself :D

I don't recall what I shared when, so I'll just post up my tools again now.

A pair of Benavente 51p styled ash slabs. 2003 fretted 5 and a 2004 fretless 6.
A pair of 1983 Ibanez... RS315 with a tele bridge pickup and stock RB924
20170101_wall.jpg

95.JPG

96.JPG

Twins-01.jpg

My #1 is a 2006 Worker Bee 7 string from Bee Basses...

Tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E
34" scale
28 fret
Brushed silver & chrome hardware
19mm spacing at bridge
Neck, top & back all dyed and acrylized Birds Eye Maple in "Raspberry Cream"
Matching Curly Maple veneer stripe under the top
Fretboard acrylized Wenge
Block inlays of acrylized Silver Vine done by Thorn
Ash body core
Delano MC7-FE pickup
3-way "single / series / parallel" switch
Active 3 band "Bee Pre"

20120411_Bee_hanger2.jpg

Bee20060630-03.jpg

Bee20060630-02.jpg

Bee20060903_001.jpg

the rig has slimmed down to a single 2x12" Bag End cab (I've been using them since the early 90s) with a Egnater tube head with a pair of 6L6
20140803_music-room.jpg

Beautiful and unique gear James.

Thanks, it was a long run to get to where I am... I started in 1980 on a Sears Wish Book special my Grandfather rescued from the trash and 'fixed up' for me. He also scored a $75 early 70s Ampeg fliptop with a blown speaker. Popped an Altec 421a in it that he had on hand. In 82 I finally stepped up to a new bass, bought an Ibanez Destroyer (red with p bass pickup). I had the up coming 1983 Ibanez catalog from the store... I drooled over both the ones I own for years in that catalog, they are both "Roadstar II series". I traded an old AMP bass head for the bass and the guy who sold me the Egnater had the guitar for sale with an Holdsworth Carvin pickup in it. I mailed the pickup back to him because I was looking to make it a raunchy & rude Esquire in a early shredder suit ;)

I've had a few monster rigs over the years... from an EV loaded 4x12 + 1x18 PA sub biamped rig to a Peavey Classic 400 (8xKT88 power section) pushing a pair of Peavey cabs with an 18 and 2x 10 in each (that was a 350 lbs rig easy!). The bulk of my gigging was with an AMP head into a Bag End 1x15 (and/or 1x12)... used together my early 90s 'mini rig' could be moved in one trip and pushed more air than the typical GK sitting on a couple Hartke cabs everyone else had.

Living the Dream is awesome... I recently got to catch my old roommate who is still gigging 2 to 5 times a week while running 2 other business. Not for me, give me my laptop + internet connection devops gig any day. I'll come home and play for my own entertainment :D

kevzep - - I'm sure you're familiar with the Guitars by Leo site but if not it's a great resource. P90's are my all time favorite pups with Leo's MFD's being next up. While they look like P90's the structure and design are very different and really showcase Leo's genius with pickup and electronics design. As you mentioned they are fairly hot pups for a single coil but clean up nicely and can cover a wide range of sounds. Yours are somewhat different from the earlier Leo-era models but still with the same family sound signature, responsiveness and playability. Here's a link to the G&L pups and specs that you might interesting:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=37

G&L Magnetic Field Design™ soapbar style single coils
4.4K - 4.9K (pre-1992); 4.7K - 5.4K (post-1991); 4.8K-5.3K ASAT Junior; 4.8K-4.9K 20th Anniv; 6.39K ASAT Classic Custom Neck; 5.4K-5.7K ASAT Super; 6.5K for the Neck, 7.25-7.3K for Middle RW/RP, and 7.25-7.3K for the Bridge on the ASAT Trinity Special Edition; 4.7K-4.8K CLF Centennial ASAT SC-1, SC-2, Broadcaster, ASAT, ASAT Special, ASAT Junior, ASAT S-3, ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, 20th Anniversary Model, ASAT Classic Custom neck pickup, ASAT Classic Custom Semi-Hollow neck pickup, ASAT Super, ASAT Trinity Special Edition, Tribute ASAT Special, Tribute ASAT Special Semi-Hollow, Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe Carved Top, neck pickup in GbL LE2

These pickups have given G&L its enviable reputation for great tone. The soapbars have higher output than the Strat style MFDs and are "ballsy". They have more midrange than Gibson P-90 alnico soapbars while reproducing the P-90's well-known harmonic complexity. They are great for cutting through a mix. The bass response is strong and well focused. In the neck position, the soapbar MFD produces fine blues tone. In the bridge position, it has excellent spank and clarity for lead work. The ASAT Junior, 20th Anniversary Model, ASAT Super (neck over-wound with 42 gauge wire; bridge over-wound with 43 gauge wire), ASAT Trinity Special Edition, and SC-2 (2008 and later-bridge only-same as ASAT Super bridge) pickups are over-wound. The ASAT Classic Custom and ASAT Classic Custom Semi-hollow neck pickup pole piece bushings are longer than the standard ASAT Special pickup. An extra 200 windings were added, but they stack up entirely differently and the magnet is further down under as well. They are warm and fat but still have tonal characteristics of the standard MFD single coil.
Thanks for the very interesting information, I will have a look at that, those pickups are very surprising the first time you plug the guitar in, they are not what I was expecting, but rather a pleasant surprise!!

Didn't see until now that your ASAT is a semi-hollow. And the Black Tuxedo look is classic. So nice. Good call on the Hot Cake too. I've been using one for years and not only is it a great pedal, who can't love an effect created by a member of Split Enz?

I wish I still had some of my guitars too. And don't get me started on the ones I either sold off before the big spike in prices and/or let slip through my hands. Just 3 electrics left now. A goldtop LP with P90's, an Ibanez AM-100 that is really a stellar instrument and super comfortable to play and a 1981 G&L L1K bass (with the smoothest ebony board I've ever played on) that started me on G&L's in the first place many, many moons ago.

l1k.jpg

I have had a Hot Cake in my system since 1983, Paul (the creator) is a good friend of mine, and yes he was the original drummer in Split Enz and also a very well renowned live engineer, as am I.
I had his prototype "double" Hot Cake, of course I got one as soon as they went into production. There is two types, the normal one, and the "bluesberry" version, they break up slightly differently, I find the bluesberry version is better with the humbuckers, normal works well with single coils.
Small world huh?

Back
Top Bottom