Opinions on Pioneer HPM-60 ?

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hey all,

I have been given a pair of HPM 60s by a colleague and they are in great shape. I was just wondering how they compare to their more famous relatives the HPM 100.

Cheers

Have heard a pair and liked them, Good bass response, Set up is crucial, They were powered with a Pioneer SX 1050

I like 'em. In fact, I prefer the HPM 60 tone over the HPM 100. A bit more natural w/o that accentuated mid-bass slam.

I bought a pair brand new circa '78. Mom still has them. I gave them to my parents within three years of the purchase. Didn't like their bass performance, at all. Boomy, one-note port bass, was my take at the time. They're still working well, so I'll give them kudos for longevity, but I like the sound even less now than back then. I moved on to better speakers, and there were many available at the time, but I was green when I bought the HPM-60. It did lead me to avoid Japanese speakers back then, and to discover American brands and models, which I preferred.

Even given all that, they were still the best speaker I'd owned at the time, and I loved them for more than a year, until their bass alignment grated on my nerves. Sounded unnatural to me. Just one man's opinion, of course.

Back
Top Bottom