Things you tell yourself and what they really mean

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
1. I need a big stack of receivers in case one goes dead. Actually meaning: I love receivers. I am going to build a fort whose walls are made from Yamaha, Kenwood, Sansui, Pioneer, Scott, and McIntosh receivers, then I'm going to turn everything on at once.

2. This is my hobby. Means: I cannot stop buying audio equipment.

3. Hmm. I bet I can fix that. Ok, lemme just click on Buy It Now. Means: My entire family is asleep and I am looking at 40 year old amplifiers on Ebay.

4. The bass sounds a little weak in that song. Could mean:
a) Time for new speakers!
b) Time for a 250 watt amp!
c) Time to recap the entire receiver!

How about you?

Ha ha ha! I love it! I'm hearing things I say to myself. I think there a lot of similarities in our collective behaviors. :)

"Spring and Summer are great for accumulating discounted gear to sell(at a profit) during the upcoming Winter selling season" - "Winter is an great time to evaluate the gear purchased, this past Spring and Summer, and potentially sell during the next Winter selling season"

Me: I really want to try out "x, y and z" speakers. What argument can I make for that?

Wife: Breaking into my thoughts -- Don't even think of moving / selling off "my" Tannoy's.

Me: Glad I have a wife who loves music AND big speakers. Wait, when did they become "her" Tannoy's?

:)

I'm just jelly you have the funds and space for some big Tannoys. The Tannoy based PA system at my college church is still one of my favorite sounding live setups. I've wanted to experience some of their high end audiophile gear ever since.

Me: I really want to try out "x, y and z" speakers. What argument can I make for that?

Wife: Breaking into my thoughts -- Don't even think of moving / selling off "my" Tannoy's.

Me: Glad I have a wife who loves music AND big speakers. Wait, when did they become "her" Tannoy's?

:)

Don't even worry about it. Besides when momma's happy, everybody's happy :D

"I always wanted to try this" - Really means I bought something that's almost certainly not going in the main system and is going to end up with the rest of my spare gear.

"It was less than market value" / "It'll be worth more in the future" - Really means I spent a lot on this.

"I'm upgrading the compression driver on the center channel speaker so it will better match the left and right speakers."

Really means "Yes, I was drinking and surfing the internet when I found something marginally better and much more expensive than what I already have and you won't notice the difference because you are using this glorious system to watch General Hospital and Big Brother. The center channel is the one under the TV...yes, there is a speaker behind the black cloth."

Actually that was the discussion with the wife yesterday....

Back
Top Bottom