That Damned 1000X!

Gary Francks

Seems many moons since I wrote about my 1000X and the recap and changes made but I just had to say that it's still here and sounding great!
A lot of my listening is early morning or late night which obviously necessitates low volume listening and here it's absolutely brilliant.

Low level detail and clarity are superb and far better than anything else I've ever owned, in some ways it reminds me of an original A&R A60 that I owned for many years, but even better sounding.
And that's across all inputs.

A few months ago I replaced the SR-212 turntable with a Technics SL-7 expecting a slight improvement in sound quality but wanting the full auto convenience really, the 1000X phono stage clearly and most definitely showed a much better turntable was connected which really surprised me.

Now call me daft, stupid or easily pleased but I'm convinced that in the intervening months since completing the work on it, this 1000X keeps sounding better and better across all inputs, tuner included.

Is it possible that I'm hearing this or an I delusional, is it some kind of extended burn in or magic even?
Sansui magic?

All I do know is that I've bought more lp's and cd's in those months than for a long time and the SC-3300 cassette deck has made many off air recordings.

Quite a few people report this phenomenon. The jury is out pretty much permanently on whether it is a real SQ improvement, or a psychological effect, or something else? It's really nice to hear that your 1000X is giving you so much pleasure, the cause? I prefer to think in this case, it's Sansui magic. :)

PS: I also own a 1000X. ;)

Last edited:
I've owned recently an Arcam A80 in full working order and a new Vieta (Italian brand, Chinese sourced, Hi-Fi Choice recommended at £280!) 100W integrated that I could compare to and the Arcams been gone a while with the Vieta up for sale.

Both the modern amps have more power on paper and specifications way in front of the vintage 1000X but everybody who heard the 1000X remarks on the clarity, warmth and sweet yet extended treble.
Some who weren't aware it was vinyl playing even expressed how good the CD sound quality was!

I really don't think it's a psychological effect, more a collection of system components all pulling in the right direction, the synergy thing!

To be honest it's not been used as much as I would have liked in the past few months due to the wife's diagnosis, operation and on going recovery from cancer but in the rate moments when there's time to sit and listen it sure has sounded sweet and gave me precious time to relax without ever feeling I was missing anything using the BOTL receiver of its day.

That's really nice, best wishes to your Wife for a speedy recovery, and here's hoping you have plenty more time to listen and relax.

Seems many moons since I wrote about my 1000X and the recap and changes made but I just had to say that it's still here and sounding great!
A lot of my listening is early morning or late night which obviously necessitates low volume listening and here it's absolutely brilliant.

Low level detail and clarity are superb and far better than anything else I've ever owned, in some ways it reminds me of an original A&R A60 that I owned for many years, but even better sounding.
And that's across all inputs.

A few months ago I replaced the SR-212 turntable with a Technics SL-7 expecting a slight improvement in sound quality but wanting the full auto convenience really, the 1000X phono stage clearly and most definitely showed a much better turntable was connected which really surprised me.

Now call me daft, stupid or easily pleased but I'm convinced that in the intervening months since completing the work on it, this 1000X keeps sounding better and better across all inputs, tuner included.

Is it possible that I'm hearing this or an I delusional, is it some kind of extended burn in or magic even?
Sansui magic?

All I do know is that I've bought more lp's and cd's in those months than for a long time and the SC-3300 cassette deck has made many off air recordings.

Having rebuilt a few amps, speakers and putting together multiple systems, I also have experienced that same phenomenon. I do not think the electronics are getting better but I do think that my ears are picking up the subtleties of the system the more I hear it. It could be like tasting a new kind of food for the first time and then trying it again and again. The first time, it tastes good but you can't pick out the individual ingredients. The more you have it, the more subtle flavors you discover.

New stuff is kinda like transfat in food..they took it away and nothing tastes as good as it used to. No offense intended towards anyone. Perhaps the vintage of the equipment we chose to favor is most of the time is what vintage we tend to be. Me I miss Transfat...I will continue to insure that I have ample backup for gear I hold dear

Back
Top Bottom