Bookshelf Speakers vs. Floorstanding Speakers

well...so far I get a little tickle still with cornwalls....have Allison ic10 hooked up now....getting ready to buy a pair of jbl 4313 this week so they will be my favorite next week...I am really getting hooked on the allisons.... allisons and cornwalls are big speakers..the cornwalls with heresay stacked on top powered by a big rotel really feel the neighborhood up with music..lol...love it when I do that..

well...so far I get a little tickle still with cornwalls....have Allison ic10 hooked up now....getting ready to buy a pair of jbl 4313 this week so they will be my favorite next week...I am really getting hooked on the allisons.... allisons and cornwalls are big speakers..the cornwalls with heresay stacked on top powered by a big rotel really feel the neighborhood up with music..lol...love it when I do that..
How about stacked Heresys stacked on top of twin 12" subs for dynamics?

lol..nice I could get into that....I would like to have a pair of rogers ls speakers again..had a pair liked them and sold them..

I agree with you, but in this case, I really think it is just me getting used to the level of output in general and low frequencies specifically. I am running my CD player direct, so no tone controls...everything set flat so no added bass at all. I am using a Rotel A12 integrated, so no pre amp (other than what's inside the Rotel). I also plan to experiment w room placement...right now they are about 13 inches from the back wall...bass might lessen a smidge if I move them out into the room a but more. Although they are not rear ported, so that may not make as much difference as usual. They are sounding better by the minute though...

Cool! Placement has a pretty big impact as does room setup. The important thing is you are enjoying them.

Ended up returning the S55s and have been using just the S20s. Good sound. Lots of mid-bass... However, I have saved my pennies and the time has come to try a higher end choice. I've decided to go with the Martin Logan Motion S20s. Anyone have experience with them? Small footprint flloorstanding speakers with folded Motion® tweeter, dual black aluminum woofers with rear-firing bass port, and a luscious high-gloss piano black finish.. Frequencies are listed as 46–25,000 Hz ±3dB. Should have them Monday...

Attachments

• 6815881482_6fe6e8c6a7_b.jpg
    6815881482_6fe6e8c6a7_b.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 22
My Monitor Audio Silver 6 would likely appeal to you, too.
Yes. They are on the short list as well. I've heard they are terrific. Looking at their specs, it looks like they would be a bit easier to drive than the Martin Logans and they do go a bit lower in the bass.

Yes. They are on the short list as well. I've heard they are terrific. Looking at their specs, it looks like they would be a bit easier to drive than the Martin Logans and they do go a bit lower in the bass.

It's a fast, taut bass. Great mids and a superlative top. Really good value, imo.

The high-tech materials and manufacture (dimples) result in a very rigid low-mass cone, making them highly compliant to the signal - that's what I mean by fast. Low mass allows better amplifier control over the cone; they start and stop quickly. I haven't heard, or even read much about the Logans, but I bet they share that attribute.

Sounds nice. I will update on the Martin Logans as they progress. I am expecting them on Monday. I had been wanting a small footprint floorstander and this one really seems to fit the bill. However, should it not, the Monitor Audios do sound interesting as well. Have you seen the new line of Monitor Audio speakers on their web site...the Monitor series? I like the orange cones! :) Also interesting is the Studio that uses a folded motion ribbon tweeter like the Martin Logans.

Anyone else, like me, prefer the sound of quality bookshelf speakers on nice stands over floorstanding speakers? Clarity, zero distortion, tight, punchy bass, decent sound staging vs. boomy/movie-theater-like bass that rattles the house. I like to hear the bass line, but I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.

Quality bookshelves still need a sub to complete the tight and punchy bass aspect of your description. A properly set sub (or subs) will improve sound staging, depth, imaging.

My tower design transmission line cabinets get to 30Hz without a sub. It’s always a trade off.

As has been said a good speaker is a good speaker. However any good speaker can be placed incorrectly, played with the wrong sources etc. Whenever I read a review of a speaker I try and pay attention to how it is being played as much as how it sounds playing. There is a lot of subjective in listening to speakers but if you can't listen to a speaker in as close as possible the optimal conditions it was engineered/designed for then I think you are going to make bad decisions on that particular speaker.

I ordered my Motion 20s from Crutchfield after speaking w an adviser. I had previously auditioned them in my local Best Buy Magnolia room. Being that that is not an ideal listening area, I wanted to check w the adviser before purchasing. The person I spoke w said that the tweeters on the Motion series are (in his opinion) the best sounding ones they currently have for sale. He described the overall sound as airy, extended, detailed, but pleasant to listen to (i.e. not overly bright or harsh). This was in line w what I had heard at BB. The other question I had for him was if he thought I could get away without a sub for the Motion 20s in a medium-sized room. He said that he thought I could. I do not care for subs and like for my speakers to have tight, punchy bass to fill in the sound, but I don't care for the ultra-low shake the walls bass like at a movie theater. I am a bit worried that the 20s might be a bit too light in the low end though. I guess we'll see...

I ordered my Motion 20s from Crutchfield after speaking w an adviser. I had previously auditioned them in my local Best Buy Magnolia room. Being that that is not an ideal listening area, I wanted to check w the adviser before purchasing. The person I spoke w said that the tweeters on the Motion series are (in his opinion) the best sounding ones they currently have for sale. He described the overall sound as airy, extended, detailed, but pleasant to listen to (i.e. not overly bright or harsh). This was in line w what I had heard at BB. The other question I had for him was if he thought I could get away without a sub for the Motion 20s in a medium-sized room. He said that he thought I could. I do not care for subs and like for my speakers to have tight, punchy bass to fill in the sound, but I don't care for the ultra-low shake the walls bass like at a movie theater. I am a bit worried that the 20s might be a bit too light in the low end though. I guess we'll see...

Well since you are local to me if you don't like them you can just give me a call and I will get rid of them for you...... :D

Seriously though I hope they work out for you.

This is progressing nicely and sounds more like a room to speaker fit thing. OP is actually in a pretty good position not needing to achieve what many others try to do (and focus on too much) with the lower frequencies. Especially working with modern options. So many to choose from. Elac?

Well since you are local to me if you don't like them you can just give me a call and I will get rid of them for you...... :D

Seriously though I hope they work out for you.
Thanks! Did not notice you were at the beach at first glance! Certainly cooled off hasn't it!? :) Thanks for the positive thoughts... I am excited!

This is progressing nicely and sounds more like a room to speaker fit thing. OP is actually in a pretty good position not needing to achieve what many others try to do (and focus on too much) with the lower frequencies. Especially working with modern options. So many to choose from. Elac?
Drugolf, Your avatar is awesome! :)

After reading the JBL L-40 is considered a book shelf speaker i may as well say my Polk Monitor 10's are bookshelf's.
Recently been picking up some nice bookshelf's, Ohm PRO 16's sound truly impressive and the little Klipsch Kg 1.2 Oiled Oak Speakers have impressed me extremely.
I can't deal without an EQ to fine tune speakers and i don't like heavy thick bass, it's for kids.

It has to be floorspeakers for my prime audio system. Bookshelf speakers have a good opportunity of defining midrange and high frequency notes well. Based on my music preferences, the floorstanding speakers offer me the range and depth that I expect from my music.

Back
Top Bottom