Super Find: McIntosh MR 78

use RCA cables to connect the fixed audio outputs to the AUX or TUNER input on an integrated amp or receiver. a cheapo ant will do fine for testing. I to am only seeing some of your photos. Good luck and great find. What other gear do you have to test with?

As you know, the bezel is missing, but I took some time to really work on the glass and get that cruddy tape residue off. It looks awesome! Aside from the bubbling, it is shiny and clean.

For glass, a single edged razor blade followed up with Goo-Gone will take care of any glue residue.

Pics had been viewable earlier but seem to have gone down for whatever reason...:dunno:

Sorry about the pics, everyone. I was linking to the location in Google Drive, but I guess that's not a great way to do it.

Can't believe I'd have to create an account to host pictures for forum sharing, but I guess I must. Any suggestions?

I'll try to remedy this tonight, I'm really pleased how the piece looks after I cleaned it up.

Call Ryan at Audio Classics (see their website for phone number and email to each staff member). Ryan can get you straightened out on this....they have seen lots of MR78s. You have a great McPiece in your possession!

AC is in Vestal, NY just west of, and across the Susquehanna River from, McIntosh Labs in Binghamton.

Well, the thrifts aren't totally dead: today, I couldn't believe my eyes when I found an MR 78. Plugged it in at the store, and was glad to find it turned on, all the lights seemed to work.

To be honest, I had no idea what kind of unit it was, only that it was McIntosh. I have a small collection of vintage integrated amps, and know a little bit about them, but not too much about this. Certainly nothing about this unit. Serial # AD3 831

Overall, its in VG+ physical shape with wood case. A few marks on the case, but the unit inside it beautiful. The front panel is okay, but it is missing the silver rectangle that around the dial. There is some crackling (crazing?) look along the bottom of the front panel. Not cracks, just perhaps its beginning to seperate from whatever its attached to.

I don't have a variac, but I just plugged it in and let it sit for a while when I got home while as I tried to see if it would give some sound. I went to look for speakers and an antenna, and when I returned - WHOOPS - quite a burning smell. More like old burnt wood/wet cardboard, rather than an acrid electric burn smell. Anyway, I unplugged it immediately. It didn't feel overly hot, and the smell seemed to emanate mostly from the top rear left hand area.

So, what do you experts think? Perhaps it was just dust burning off as it heated up for the first time in who knows how long, or maybe its worse? In any case, I'm still very satisfied considering what I paid.

Not to be completely green, but I don't really get how this works: do I just plug speakers into this, or does it need to go into a power amp? What can I do with this beast? Shall I pop the top and dust this sucker out?

I'll see if I can get some pics.

Thank you for reading! I look forward to discussing my unit more.
Not sure if this matters to you, but Michael Fremer considers this if not "the best" then at least one of the five best tuners ever made.

I was just thinking that too, I was about to get the blade, and make the change!!

I think i remember that it's you that has the 2205 sans bezel, they will look great together! Please post a pic of them together when you are done...

I think i remember that it's you that has the 2205 sans bezel, they will look great together! Please post a pic of them together when you are done...
Oh, I have sold the MC2205, funny, the new owner wondered if I had the Bezel!! Of course I did and gave it to him....

But still, its coming off so it can look a little more modern in the company of the C48 etc...

Back in the day Michael Fremer purchased one at a garage sale, he sent it to Richard Modafferi for service and updating, he also listed Richard's email address in the article.

Some yrs later I snagged a couple of Mac pieces and was given the MR78 with the understanding it was already sent to McIntosh and returned as unrepairable.

Two different shops stated they could repair it but later returned it as unrepairable. I remembered I had the old magazine so had it in hand when the second shop was trying to return it.

I showed the article to Gary (the service tech/shop owner) and asked if he would send it there. Gary said "you could just send it yourself", my response "you've spent time working on it, send it in and when it's fixed add whatever you think is fair for your time".

Gary sent the tuner to Richard, it was completely fixed and the Modafferi modification was also included, making it most likely "the best" tuner ever made. All for the huge sum of $450, what glorious sound I've never heard from FM before or since.

In case you're wondering, Richard Modafferi was one of the chief designers of the MR78.

Gary sent the tuner to Richard, it was completely fixed and the Modafferi modification was also included, making it most likely "the best" tuner ever made. All for the huge sum of $450, what glorious sound I've never heard from FM before or since.
I thought the typical RM refurb was closer to a grand.

Back
Top Bottom