Mcintosh CD/SACD Player Suggestions?

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
I soon be getting back my C47 from AC and I need a player,
should I look at the 871,205,350 of 450 or are they all they sound the same using the digital input on the C47?

Last edited:
They will all sound the same if you use digital out to the C47 which will be processing the digital signal.

I've been researching this a bit myself. From what I can tell the MVP861 is the farthest you can go back and still have SACD capability. So that might be the most affordable way to get CD/SACD in the McIntosh line up unless I'm missing something.

At the time Lexicon was considered as one of the best players of the 5 inch disc made. The 861 was getting some great praise in the press and by owners, too. When I bought mine the 871 had just been introduced and as I was running component I didn't need a 871 with HDMI and was able to get a 861 at a good price pre-owned. I really liked the 861 using the balanced outputs. I will say there was a difference in sound between the optical output and the balanced output using my MX 119 and later 120. But when I got the MX 151 that difference went away. Balanced outputs of the 891 and 861 are both so enjoyable I use either one for CD SACD and for the Dozen or so DVD-A I have. You haven't heard Chanticleer until you have heard them on DVD-A. Now when it comes to movie sound I'll take the 891 on great movies with the Blu ray version versus the DVD version. Video Discs using Skywalker Sound are always guaranteed to have great sound quality, that is revealed with the more advanced decoding with the 891. The 891 and 861 are indistinguishable for me with 99% of my CD's and SACD's. And I am not sure about the remaining discs. Now I the DVD laser failed after two years of use, but Frank took care of the issue for me at Audio Classics very promptly where I purchased the unit.

I had owned a 7005 previously and when listening to music in the stereo mode w it was like listening to left right and center, all nicely focused with great front to back presentation I thought. But when I got the 861 I was amazed at the difference. I was presented with a wall of sound that was evenly Spread from Left to the right with a very even transition. The center was there but wasn't separated from the left and right. The depth had increased, too. The sound was still staged the same way with the instruments not any more forward or recessed, but you could tell when some instruments weren't being miked properly or when the producers were tampering with the mix to bring masked instruments or sections forward for solos or group emphasis. The MX 151 even made you more aware of these issues and it really cleaned up the bass giving Bass violins and tubas more definition during complex presentations. So I can imagine you would have great sound using your C-47.

Have you all noticed that the price on pre-owned MCD 500s is increasing while the price on pre-owned 550's is still dropping below the 500. I'm told the 500 is the preferred choice, do to sound quality and operation. I have always wanted to try a 500, it has a reputation of making so so cd's sound their best. An acquaintance of mine used a 851 with Macs separate digital decoder, MDA 1000. He said the sound was just the best he ever heard. It had to do something with precision and the very high up sampling of the 1000. But that was a very expensive way to go at the time. I I'magine your 47 would come very very close with its capabilities or even surpass. You should get great performance with the 861 C-47 combo.

Last edited:
Is the best way to connect the player to a C47 thru balanced or digital coax?

Both. Connect both the XLR and Coax outputs from the MVP to the C47. Then, you can switch between them to see if you prefer the DAC in the MVP or the DAC in the C47. Now, if you purchased an MCT450, use the proprietary MCT connector and be done with it.

Just an FYI, you can't play SACD over a standard digital out. The MVP 871 is a great player even with "just" the internal DAC.

Both, you will need the decoder when playing SACD so you use the analog output of the CD player. You might also like the sound of the DAC in the C47. In this case you used a digital output of the CDP to the DAC in the C47. This all lets you play your SACD and give a choice of DACs for other CDs
Just an FYI, you can't play SACD over a standard digital out. The MVP 871 is a great player even with "just" the internal DAC.
Correct

BTW, I just can't buy mac when it comes to a CDP, I'm just not going to spend the money for something that just has emperors close on. Most CDP use all the same parts packaged in different looks. Right now I have a Marantz DV 8400, I send SACD to the C100 peramp with RCA, and the rest of the disc go out digital to my D100 DAC

Both, you will need the decoder when playing SACD so you use the analog output of the CD player. You might also like the sound of the DAC in the C47. In this case you used a digital output of the CDP to the DAC in the C47. This all lets you play your SACD and give a choice of DACs for other CDs

Correct

I do have a Oppo 103D that plays SACD's, Are you saying if I use the Coax or optical I won't hear the SACD correctly?

I do have a Oppo 103D that plays SACD's, Are you saying if I use the Coax or optical I won't hear the SACD correctly?
You will not here the SACD at all going out the Oppo 103D with a digital cable because it's not getting decoded by the Oppo. It will leave the Oppo as a digital code and get to your C47 DAC and it will not be able to decode it. Now all other digital the C47 will play so you can send them to your preamp with a digital cable and use the DAC in it. I don't think you get all the benefits of DSD either although it will play, but your Bluyay disc will not just like the SACD.

So like I said you run two cables one that's analogue to handle what the CDP can and the C47 can't, and a digital cable to handle most other things and give you the option of listening too two different DACs.

BTW, I just can't buy mac when it comes to a CDP, I'm just not going to spend the money for something that just has emperors close on. Most CDP use all the same parts packaged in different looks. Right now I have a Marantz DV 8400, I send SACD to the C100 peramp with RCA, and the rest of the disc go out digital to my D100 DAC

I reiterate^^^, the Oppo is a fine player, hook it up like I said.

You will not here the SACD at all going out the Oppo 103D with a digital cable because it's not getting decoded by the Oppo. It will leave the Oppo as a digital code and get to your C47 DAC and it will not be able to decode it. Now all other digital the C47 will play so you can send them to your preamp with a digital cable and use the DAC in it. I don't think you get all the benefits of DSD either although it will play, but your Bluyay disc will not just like the SACD.

So like I said you run two cables one that's analogue to handle what the CDP can and the C47 can't, and a digital cable to handle most other things and give you the option of listening too two different DACs.

I reiterate^^^, the Oppo is a fine player, hook it up like I said.

do they make a HDMI to CDP adapter? or MCT?

will this work for the Oppo?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Type-C-Lea...783250?hash=item3af03f4c12:g:1w8AAOSwc-tY78EK

Last edited:
Again, you can not go out any CDP that plays SACD with a digital cable and have your C47 decode it, the C47 can not decode that file.

when it comes to stereo does cd's sound the same to SACD's? or does the HDCD's better? I'm new to CD's

Back
Top Bottom