What would you invest $10k in right now?

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
Looking to invest some of an elderly parent's savings. I've avoided the stock market as it seems to be in a bubble, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Otherwise I'd just buy an index fund. Such strange times I don't know what to do.

Let's say it's not funds we're going to need real soon but probably not looking for high risk/aggressive growth investments either. I just hate to let it sit doing nothing.

Bonds?

A CD would suck but better than the 0.001% in the checking account.

Yeah, I know you guys aren't investment advisors. Just wondering what your opinion might be. I should get a pro for my own stuff, not to mention theirs. But since I haven't done that yet...I know some of you are doing the same things.

No politics please, just finances. :thumbsup:

Vanguard Wellington fund is a great place for older fund owners. It is 70% stock and 30% bond. I had a good portion, approx.50%, of mine and my wife's IRAs in that fund during the 2008/2009 recession. They dropped, but nowhere near what my index funds did. They are not safe like a savings account or a money market account, but they have done very well for me while keeping me a good bit safer than other funds I have. I also have Prime Money Market account. It does not return much, but is a good bit safer. I am 66 and feel very secure with Vanguard funds, but I am very clear on what my risk is. Go to the Vanguard website and do some reading.

Last edited:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/01/02/mlps-what-to-watch-in-2018.aspx
big.chart

Orange juice futures.

looking-good-billy-ray-feeling-good-louis.jpg

EDIT - Sorry for my somewhat crass joke above. Don't listen to internet people (no matter how well intentioned). Go see a fee-only certified financial planner, and since your parents are elderly, make sure you're consulting an elder care attorney, or one who is familiar with elder care issues (POA, wills, long term health care costs, reverse mortgages, etc). Their health care costs and options for paying for health care can greatly impact how you invest that money. Good luck.

Last edited:
For my conservative move I just bought several staggered one year CDs at 2.5 percent. Another investment that has worked for me is high dividend stocks, specifically Waste Management (WM) and Chevron (CVX). Both at near all time high so risky short term.

Good stuff guys, keep it coming.

tubed, I don't know what those graphs are yet but they look impressive.

Fidelity Magellan mutual fund. Been around a long time. Solid 5 year and 10 year history. Pays an OK dividend. If you are a person of faith, then Solomon Foundation. Solid dividend. I know the Chairman of the Board and he’s a solid man. IMHO

Orange juice futures.

View attachment 1229956

EDIT - Sorry for my somewhat crass joke above. Don't listen to internet people (no matter how well intentioned). Go see a fee-only certified financial planner, and since your parents are elderly, make sure you're consulting an elder care attorney, or one who is familiar with elder care issues (POA, wills, long term health care costs, reverse mortgages, etc). Their health care costs and options for paying for health care can greatly impact how you invest that money. Good luck.

exactly

Looking to invest some of an elderly parent's savings. I've avoided the stock market as it seems to be in a bubble, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Otherwise I'd just buy an index fund. Such strange times I don't know what to do.

Let's say it's not funds we're going to need real soon but probably not looking for high risk/aggressive growth investments either. I just hate to let it sit doing nothing.

Bonds?

A CD would suck but better than the 0.001% in the checking account.

Yeah, I know you guys aren't investment advisors. Just wondering what your opinion might be. I should get a pro for my own stuff, not to mention theirs. But since I haven't done that yet...I know some of you are doing the same things.

No politics please, just finances. :thumbsup:

Ok toxcrusadr, what has been working for me since mid Oct. 2007 after my father passed away, and his estate was being settled.
My sisters & I each received 1/3rd of his stock portfolio, which had to be cashed out, because it was not able to be evenly divided three ways.
Anyway, my father had not used a financial adviser until the last 10 years of his life, as he was very skilled with numbers & monitored closely the stock market via various methods with very good results.

He eventually secured the services of a Merril Lynch financial adviser, who had his own Merril Lynch group. and has/is/been very successful.

So since I trusted my father`s knowledge in this area, I felt that I should let him(the FA) reinvest in the stock market my cashed out portion of his stock market portfolio, which was ~ $460,000.00, whereas my 2 sister, just put their money in a MM/CD in the bank.

Anyway, I took a "minor hit" (because my portfolio is diversified) in 2008, when the bubble burst, but I was not concerned about it, because this was not my source of income, nor would it ever need to be, as I`m on a medical malpractice lawsuit`s generous annuity for life and do not need to touch it, but let the profit`s reinvest, and yes the stock market has it`s ups & downs, as it always had, but, in my case, but I always end up increasing my portfolio.

So since, out of respect for my father`s, then his chosen FA, carefully managing and growing his stock portfolio, I decided to be a "Steward" for it, because if my father(a very demanding engineer while alive) trusted this guy for ten years, then that was good enough for me, and I just let him(the FA) run it, with my initial guide lines, and found out about 2 years after I engaged his services, that he is well known, and respected by the old money in this area.

He(the FA) takes me out to dinner every quarter to discuss my investment portfolio, make suggestions of adjustments, guide me, and educate me, as I don`t bother to follow/track the market at all, leave him alone to "Do His Voodoo,, that he does so well".

So I guess, this method/FA is working for me
And I don`t know what my silly sisters have made on their "put in the bank portion", but mine as of yesterday`s statement, has grown to over $ 800,000.00 since, so I doubt their monies return has been anywhere near mine.

Possibly consider, doing a lot of research, and maybe talking to a financial adviser.

Just my experience FWIW.

Take care and good luck toxcrusadr.

Kind regards, OKB

Land is a very speculative, volatile investment. You can do well, but you can also lose your shirt.

Back
Top Bottom