Very impressed with Allo Boss DAC with Raspberry Pi 3+, MOODE audio

tubino

A guy with too many tubes
I've been using this for about a week, and I'm very impressed. I'm still using the stock wallwart power supply through RPi micro-USB to power both the RPi and the Boss, but am just a couple of connectors away from a separate regulated power supply for the DAC. But as is, it's quite impressive -- and not just for the low price! In an absolute sense it's seriously good. Bass is better than I've ever had out of CDs, but the rest is better too.

I soldered the parts last night for this PCB ultra low-noise regulated supply. Hooked up a nominal 7v xformer and measured 5.00 Vdc -- alrighty then! Only then did I realize that the jumpers I had from a DIY computer project were not going to work to go from power supply board to DAC pins -- waiting now for those to arrive. I'm told the improvements are substantial.

But with a good start on a FLAC library from CDs using Exact Audio Copy, I have a lot to listen to now in my family room setup. I like this well enough to build two more for my "real" audio systems (workshop, basement mancave). Even with the dedicated power supply it's well under $200. You could spend a lot more without matching this performance. I'm not sure if there are problems with running multiple units on the same wi-fi system, but it's probably a matter of properly naming each one. Storage is cheap enough to duplicate files in different locations (backups!!!) and forget wifi streaming.

I took a slightly different route since I already had a couple of USB DACs. But a couple of days ago I added this SPDIF HAT.
IMG_6333.jpg
It sounds even better even with the stock 5V/3A SMPS.

Got the connectors yesterday to use one channel of the PCB ultra low-noise regulated supply to power the DAC -- BIG IMPROVEMENT in imaging and clarity. This setup is a winner and I'm going to do two more of them. Thanks to Larry Moore of Ultrafi for figuring this out and generously sharing it. I'll figure out how to manage putting all these parts onto a board, maybe even into an enclosure, and think about venting and switches. The Raspberry Pi puts out some heat, and so does the DAC power supply transformer. The low current draw of the DAC is not enough to cause any heating on the power supply board.

The sonic results of this are so great that I'm going to systematically copy hundreds of CDs to FLAC. I know most people did this years ago, but I needed this to get serious about everything I own.

I'd like to know more about building a music server/DAC system around the raspberry pi and peripherals. I've never used pi computer. What do you use for a user interface? Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this. I have a really nice DAC in the Mytek Brooklyn, but win10 is giving me fits as a server.
Thanks,
John

Hi John, I'm no expert, just a new user, but maybe that perspective is useful. So the way I'm doing it is pretty simple to describe: Allo Boss DAC mounted on top of Raspberry Pi 3+, with optional regulated low-noise power supply board and transformer for DAC. RCA jacks on DAC to amp input. I plan to mount all those pieces on a board 4" wide x 12-14" deep.

The RPi has multiple USB ports, so you plug in hard drives, flash drives, SSDs, whatever. I'm using Moode Audio as the interface, and that means connecting to the music library with a local web interface via local wi-fi (URL is http://moode.local). Through the interface you use Moode to catalog the drives and then you see the music library as genre/artist/album. If you look at http://moodeaudio.org/ you can learn more about the UI. They seem to have regular releases and are up to version 4.2 now.

Forgot to mention that I am managing Moode with an iPad. I'm pretty happy with this, though there are a couple of bugs I hope they fixed in the latest release. Will find out soon.

I've been using this for about a week, and I'm very impressed... I'm not sure if there are problems with running multiple units on the same wi-fi system, but it's probably a matter of properly naming each one. Storage is cheap enough to duplicate files in different locations (backups!!!) and forget wifi streaming.
I've enjoyed mine for more than a year now. Each device on a network can have its own name. I prefer sharing a single library along with access to Tidal for all connected music players.

I took a slightly different route since I already had a couple of USB DACs. But a couple of days ago I added this SPDIF HAT.
Ditto. I use mine with a Music Hall DAC 25.3 and linear power supply.

rpi0917.jpg

I have a few DAC's. IQAudio DAC Plus, Sabre ES9023, and Piano 2.1 with Kali Reclocker.

The Piano 2.1 + Kali Reclocker with Super Linear PSU (toroid transformer and voltage regulator) really makes a difference. The software is Volumio, and I use the Piano 2.1 in dual mono mode. Pleasure to listen. The highs are beautiful, the lows are deep, and the mids are nice. Channel separation and stereo is imaging is correct.

The IQAudio is so good DAC for the price you pay, but can't match the Piano 2.1.

Tried the ifi iPower but my DIY Linear PSU is much better for a closely same price.

Last edited:
I have a few DAC's. IQAudio DAC Plus, Sabre ES9023, and Piano 2.1 with Kali Reclocker.

The Piano 2.1 + Kali Reclocker with Super Linear PSU (toroid transformer and voltage regulator) really makes a difference. The software is Volumio, and I use the Piano 2.1 in dual mono mode. Pleasure to listen. The highs are beautiful, the lows are deep, and the mid s are nice. Channel separation and stereo is imaging is correct.

The IQAudio is so good DAC for the price you pay, but can't match the Piano 2.1.

Tried the ifi iPower but the my DIY Linear PSU is much better for a closely same price.

Could you give us some info of your DIY Linear PSU? I´m very interested. Thanks!

Could you give us some info of your DIY Linear PSU? I´m very interested. Thanks!

Hello!

So my setup is as follows:

Toroid transformer: dual secondary 8V 3.13A, graetz diode bridge with 3300uF 35V capacitor, and this voltage regulator. Everything is packed in Cooler Master PC power supply case. On output I got very stable 5V.

https://imgur.com/R0gZrx0

https://imgur.com/AVSssAV

My next project is building Linear PSU with the same toroid transformer, and the Sigma11 voltage regulator.

I use this combo (RPi + Boss) as well, currently running Volumio. It's not bad at all, but to my ears it sounds like a good CD player from the 90s, only with a much smaller footprint and very convenient controls right from my smartphone :)

I also have this combo and am quite happy with it. I used a linear power supply kit from glassware audio which works really well.

But what I am most proud of is my Sony Pre-Esprit case imitation, took me a while to build this, the original case shell comes from an old T+A CD Transport, the front plate was made in my shop (which is really a woodworking shop... so I had quite some limitations):

np1-with-companions.jpg

It's the one on the bottom in case you didn't notice :) It doesn't say "SONY", but rather "TERNOWSKI", which is sort of my artist-name.

The most difficult thing was to get the etching right, and the power button. It's actually made from ebony for now... looks quite similar, but eventually I will have to try to make one out of aluminum, like the real thing.

I think these three together look pretty slick :)

Hello!

So my setup is as follows:

Toroid transformer: dual secondary 8V 3.13A, graetz diode bridge with 3300uF 35V capacitor, and this voltage regulator. Everything is packed in Cooler Master PC power supply case. On output I got very stable 5V.

https://imgur.com/R0gZrx0

https://imgur.com/AVSssAV

My next project is building Linear PSU with the same toroid transformer, and the Sigma11 voltage regulator.

Here is the finished project. Toroid 2x12V, graetz bridge and S11 voltage regulator. The sound is very good. Maybe suggestions what to change, improve?

Attachments

• s11.jpg
    s11.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 28
Here is the finished project. Toroid 2x12V, graetz bridge and S11 voltage regulator. The sound is very good. Maybe suggestions what to change, improve?
Looks nice. I didn't know you could find the Sigma 11 as a kit online. I considered that power supply myself, but was a bit turned off that I would have to source all the parts by myself... I was too lazy for that :)

So you are using this to power the raspberry pi with a DAC head? Or what is it for?

Looks nice. I didn't know you could find the Sigma 11 as a kit online. I considered that power supply myself, but was a bit turned off that I would have to source all the parts by myself... I was too lazy for that :)

So you are using this to power the raspberry pi with a DAC head? Or what is it for?

This LPS is powering the Allo Piano 2.1 DAC via Kali Reclocker. Another LPS (cheaper and simplier) has doing the job on Rpi3. I made some improvements rotating the regulator board by 180 degress, etc.

s11-1.jpg.6a7995ec871cedfa8c57237bbab252de.jpg

If you don't want to DIY the good choice will be this LPS. It gives 5V, 1A, and 5V, 3A. Maybe not cheap, but I think it's very good.

Besides various Rpi DACs you can consider the Khadas Tone Board too. Working with Volumio on RPi's USB port but you can use it on PC, Android phone, not sure for IOS. I had one lent from a friend for a few days. Very, very good sound and not need LPS for getting the best from it. It has Sabre ES9038Q2M chip. Absolutely bargain for only 100 USD. Check it here.

Allo is an interesting company. They are very active on the DIY forums.
I jumped on the Digione sig / Shanti train and couldn’t be happier.
Now I just need to figure out a case for them.

I'm also getting a Raspberry PI 3 and Allo BOSS DAC going here.

Going to try a wall-wort, vs a portable USB power brick to see if there's a noticeable difference.

I'd like to get a linear power supply going later - but the links above, one is $60 DIYINHK, and the other isn't for sale. But this little guy off eBay is. Hmm, with $17 shipping it's damn near $60 anyhow. Here's one for $46.

I'd be inclined to get the Audiophonics TDA1387 X8 DAC.... Though we all have different preferences....

Back
Top Bottom