Keeping the original "Mediterranean Blue" lights

rot26

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Apologize if this has been discussed previously; a search for "LED replacement" had 0 results, so here goes.

Last year I had my 112 tuner in for repair. Opted to change the front panel lights from the original fuse lamps to LED for all main indicators (dial, signal strength).

The result can only be described overall as a strong blue (Sapphire). I do like it.

But, I was then considering the the same change to LEDs for my 4140 amp.

This, to me, was a Big Step. I've owned this amp since 1977 and am reluctant to make any design changes. Of course if a cap or resistor goes out it will be changed with the original or closest replacement, but changing the fuse lamp design to newer technology?

I made the decision to keep the original design and just refresh all the fuse lamps with the original 200mA fuse lamps. The resultant color is what I'd call "Mediterranean Blue" or aqua. It's definitely much softer than the LED blue on the 112 tuner next to it, but I'm sticking with it for now.

Appreciate any +/- on changing to the LED option for this amp, thanks to all.

There are three common colors of these fuse LED’s. There is “warm white”, “cool white” and blue. If the tech installed blue fuse bulbs, that might get too blue. I like cool white, but it’s definitely cooler than original. Some use warm white to get closer to original. If you do, you need a new velum for sure or the resultant color will have a greenish tinge - at least to my eyes.

I also prefer the Warm White LED with new vellum. I like this product from ebay seller RainCityAudio because it uses only 2 vs. 3 LED's you see in most LED fuse lamp packages. This keeps the brightness from creating hot spots on the dial face. Also, use the correct 48# heavy vellum vs. the 30# you find in most hobby shops. The lighter stuff also creates hot spots due to being thinner and diffusing less light.
My $0.02

s-l1600.jpg

"Mediterranean blue" is a good description for the dial face with incandescent lamps. It is what they looked like when new. The meters were a deeper blue, but the dial face more aqua. It shows in the pictures of receivers in the original brochures.

It's a great original look to stick with. It takes incandescent lamps and a new diffuser to get it,

A quick comparison between the original 200ma Marantz incandescent bulb and new lamp with pure white LED;s:
IMG_0008.JPG Marantz 115(1).jpg

With an extra layer rice paper added, I strongly prefer the LED. I think Marantz designers would prefer LED's too, if they were available back then:

IMG_20180513_132653.jpg

I love that shot of the dial comparing the two.

Cool to have choices. The more greenish incandescent look on the left of the dial does it for me. I do have some LEDs in my 2285b that rBuckner developed that did away with the strobe effect. They are very close to the original color too.

Greenish blue is achievable with so called "Ice blue" LED's. For the "silver faced" Marantz models however, the white dot's are sacrificed :). I'm planning to make a test lamp with RGB LED's, to see if both - the greenish blue color and white dots are like with the incandescent bulbs...

What white dots? I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

Greenish blue is achievable with so called "Ice blue" LED's. For the "silver faced" Marantz models however, the white dot's are sacrificed :). I'm planning to make a test lamp with RGB LED's, to see if both - the greenish blue color and white dots are like with the incandescent bulbs...
Interesting, I thought the greenish tint was result of “yellowing” of the old vellum paper? Is it more the light or the vellum or combination?

It definitely removes much of the greenish tint if you replace the velum. At that point, to my eyes it is more of an aqua with a slight yellow component that is dimmer than the LED blue. Both are very pleasing to the eye. The LED's just have more pop, which some like and some don't.

I've tried a few bunch of these LED's. What I found the most suitable are these. Unfortunately these lamps can't achieve that geenish tint like the originals has. :(

I’ve tried a few different LED changes on Marantz. For customer work. They usually bring the “kit”.

Over the years, the kits seem to be getting better, not as wild of a change.

I got a pile of warm white and blue lamps a while ago. They are very bright. I didn’t care for them as much as other people.

The ones I have are made with the board wider than the end cap. That is a problem if the holder is too narrow. I ran into issues with that and mounted the lamp at an angle. THAT made some nice improvement.

On the Marantz with the white plastic, perhaps mounting the LED facing away from the dial would may a better situation.

Just thinking outside the box here.

I'd think that if you wanted to hang onto the greenish tint, just leave the yellowed vellum in place. Blue + yellow = green-ish.

The brightness of the LEDs compared to the incandescent lights is what most often offends the most OCD of us audiophiles. I'm not OCD as far as lights are concerned and I prefer the blue LEDs to the white. I must add that I did not replace the vellum so YMMV.

The only place where the solid blue LEDs can cause issues is in models where they have those tiny "diamonds" across the tuning dial. They would normally show as white dots with normal lighting but will be blue dots with blue lights. Just my anal-retentive OCD side coming out. ;-)

I'd think that if you wanted to hang onto the greenish tint, just leave the yellowed vellum in place. Blue + yellow = green-ish.

i actually used yellow vellum in a couple of my receivers to tone down the blue a bit, i prefer the original color and LEDs are too blue for me. i mostly use the 200ma lamps for the dials but i have 2 receivers that have a strong smell when i use them and LEDs make it go away i think its from the heat. i have installed LEDs in most the indicators though as they are a PITA to change and dont really affect the dial color.

As I promised, I did some experiment with RGB LED's, trying to achieve that greenish blue (azure) original Marantz color... Failed miserably. Then decided to mix 3 warm white and 1 green LED's in the lamp and I think it's close enough. At least for the black faced dial scales. Still didn't test it on silver-faced Marantz:
marantz lamp.jpg

MIXED COLOR LED LAMP MARANTZ_.jpg

As I promised, I did some experiment with RGB LED's, trying to achieve that greenish blue (azure) original Marantz color... Failed miserably. Then decided to mix 3 warm white and 1 green LED's in the lamp and I think it's close enough. At least for the black faced dial scales. Still didn't test it on silver-faced Marantz:
View attachment 1230233

View attachment 1230232

Nice. It will be the best LED upgrade to achive the original tint.

Back
Top Bottom