So Bummed!

Well my system took a power surge caused by a nearby lightning strike.

Usually i have everything running thru my Panamax M5300. I just switched from DirecTV to Cable and hadn't yet run the new coax thru the Panamax.

From what I can tell the surge came in thru the cable and hit the Tivo Bolt. It then traveled to my Marantz SR6009 thru the HDMI cable taking it out. The surge continued out the other HDMI cables taking out my Sony 4K Blu-ray player and into my Samsung PN60F8500 plasma tv.

None of the inputs on the tv work, so I'm hoping that I can just replace the main board. I can still watch the apps that the tv has.

Luckily I had a refurbished Onkyo SR 609 in the closet. I also drove to Bestbuy and bought a cheap 4k tv so that I had something to test on.

I still need to test my Onkyo PA-MC5501 amp. But since no HDMI cables run to it, I am hopeful.

Looks like I'll be calling the Insurance company on Monday and hope that my Renters Insurance covers the $4200 in damages.

Ouch! I hate to hear about your bad luck. The isolated but intense storms do pop up quickly in the Southeast.

We had severe storms on Friday which took out a Motorola cable box/DVR. Not as terrible for me since it is rented from the cable provider. Understand there's most often a deductible that will be your expense.

Bummer for wifey is having to re-establish her program crawlers and we missed recording the F1 race at Silverstone this weekend.

Contact the cable company, their insurance should cover this if you can show it came through the cable. Most likely the cable isn't properly grounded to the house grounding electrode, if not there's your proof.

Lightning travels hundreds of feet through air.

Lightning has a lot of attitude.

I’ve seen vaporization due to lightning.

A surge protector is nothing.

The tires on your car are nothing. A car will protect you by routing the power around you to ground (or reverse if you understand electrons properly).

truckrglenn sorry to hear that. Hope the insurance company does everything right. E-Stat it was a good race. Have a disc (DVD burner) of the race in SD. Maybe possible to make a copy. Been watching F1 since the 70's.

Well better then I expected. They are sending me a check for $4453 to start off. If I replace the tv and av receiver, they'll send me another check for $2355 called RC Benefits.

The lady was super nice and helpful. I even mentioned that I haven't been able to test my Onkyo pa-mc5501 amp yet. Told her that I had to take it over to my cousin's.

She said don't worry about it, I'll add that in too. That way you won't have to worry about adding to your claim.

I already ordered a new TIVO Bolt 1tb, a Marantz SR6012. And hope to pick up the 2018 65" Samsung Q9 TV this weekend.

Well better then I expected. They are sending me a check for $4453 to start off. If I replace the tv and av receiver, they'll send me another check for $2355 called RC Benefits.

The lady was super nice and helpful. I even mentioned that I haven't been able to test my Onkyo pa-mc5501 amp yet. Told her that I had to take it over to my cousin's.

She said don't worry about it, I'll add that in too. That way you won't have to worry about adding to your claim.

I already ordered a new TIVO Bolt 1tb, a Marantz SR6012. And hope to pick up the 2018 65" Samsung Q9 TV this weekend.
Best thing that ever happened to you! LOL!!

What insurance company coverage do you have ??

If I know an electrical storm is coming I unplug everything.A bit of a hassle but also peace of mind.

Lightning travels hundreds of feet through air.

Lightning has a lot of attitude.

I’ve seen vaporization due to lightning.

A surge protector is nothing.

The tires on your car are nothing. A car will protect you by routing the power around you to ground (or reverse if you understand electrons properly).

Lots of attitude, and hard to understand and predict.
Two of us were working on a 400 foot cell tower, when one of those bizarre Florida storms popped up and went crazy on us before we could get down. A third guy was on the ground in one of the equipment shelters, but he was standing outside the open door in the heavy rain, and smoke was billowing out of the door. When we got down, he said the tower had been hit three times. We never knew it, just thought they were nearby strikes. Everything inside the shelter was toast.

What ever happened to lighting rods on homes? I don't see them much, if at all these days.

Back
Top Bottom