Infinity RS II SS amp recomendations

MVB

Hi All, I have a pair of Infinity RS IIs powered by an NAD T973. I got the amp at the same time as the speakers for its high current capabilities. As I am always keeping an eye out for different equipment available locally, I recently acquired a Hafler 9303. With RS IIs the Hafler has an authority and crisp detail that the NAD just doesn't have. Now I am thinking that I will keep an eye out for another Hafler and power each speaker with one in mono.

My question is what amps have people found enjoyable with Infinity speakers? I could sell the stuff that I have and get something entirely different. My budget at the moment is $1000ish.

Thanks for any input.

I'm one of those guys who'd probably fail a double blind test between amplifiers and really don't have any preference of brands or models unless of course they are underpowered or are a receiver.
Well recorded music makes the biggest difference for me.
That said I use mostly Yamaha amps and preamps.
I'm surprised that NAD doesn't work out for you.

Better speakers reveal other weaknesses in the system. Now you can really hear the differences between amps!

I'm using the famous "amp killers" the Infinity QLS-1, its combination of low sensitivity, 82dB, and low impedance, less than 1 ohm at certain frequencies, make it a tough load to drive. I've had great results with solid state McIntosh amps.

The NAS sounds great but the Hafler sounds better to me. Now I am wondering what other amps sound like and that can end up being a dangerous line of thinking.

I've used the following amps with my RS-IIb's with good results:

Adcom GFA-555 Mk II
Adcom GFA-5802
Forte Model 3
Forte Model 6
Forte Model 4 (on the EMIMs/EMITs in a bi-amp setup with a Forte 3 on the woofers)
Usher Reference 1.5 (currently in use; an authorized, improved clone of the Threshold S-300.)

I'm pretty set for amplification for now with the Usher until I (some day) have the resources to step up to a big Threshold or Pass Labs amp.

Last edited:
I have been through many amps with my RSII'S. Just remember that they love power and most importantly high current. And the amp needs to remain stable to at least 2 ohms. Amps that meet this criteria tend to either be expensive or require upkeep, becoming expensive. All that being said, the journey is totally worth it!

153101652788569605030147027207.jpg

^ Probably a little above budget......if you really want to know what they can do though :beatnik:.

I have been through many amps with my RSII'S. Just remember that they love power and most importantly high current. And the amp needs to remain stable to at least 2 ohms. Amps that meet this criteria tend to either be expensive or require upkeep, becoming expensive. All that being said, the journey is totally worth it!

View attachment 1229865

Optical illusion or are those really toed way out?
I've tried mine from straight ahead to pointing to where the sound waves cross a little before my face.

I no longer have my RSIIb's, but still keep my Kappa 9's in rotation. The K9's are currently powered by 4 Krell KMA 160 monoblocks (overkill, I know), but they ran fine on a pair of Aragon 4004's (the Aragons are now mated with a pair of Maggie 3.6R's).

Optical illusion or are those really toed way out?
I've tried mine from straight ahead to pointing to where the sound waves cross a little before my face.

Its the image. It's a bit walleyed. They are straight with no toe in. Once I added the DSPeaker antimode into the mix, toe in became irrelevant.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.
I often use how much of the front woofer cabinet I can see as a guide to if mine are at the same angle.
However I've never seen the rear sides of the bass cabinet from my listening position, they do show in your picture.
In fact, I often forget there's a good size "box" holding the woofers since I normally can't see it.

I power my Infinity speakers (many, from ren 90 to crescendo 3007,3009, kappa 8.1, rs4, Qb, infintesimal iv, etc) with old Carver amps, (M 1.5, PM 1.5, PM 350, TFM 25, TFM 15)
and they work well together.

7.62 is using Krell amplification for his ren 90s.

Last edited:
I'm using a Crown XLS 2000 class D amp with mine.
I have a Rotel RB-990BX, if I wasn't so lazy I'd give it a try.

Last edited:
Threshold. I've tried other amps and ended up selling them all. Currently using a S/300 and S/200. Recently got a pair of VTL monos so I'll try them out once I get some work done on them. Used tubes before for the mid towers but ended up selling them because I had my preamp incorrectly dialed in. Pays to adjust things if it don't quite sound right. Lol.

If you can find them, a used pair of Cherry Maraschinos using a 60V power supply would easily handle the RS II's. They're designed to handle the 2 ohm load and put out more than enough power the II's require. Don't let the size fool you. The Maraschino sound is quite pleasing and goes down deep. I've only seen used pairs come up for sale by owners moving up the Cherry amp line.

Larry D.

Last edited:
My ATI drives them just fine. They are not in a big space, though.

The JBL UREI I have also have way more than enough grunt, and can be found pretty cheap. I think I paid $100 for one and $125 for the second.

• What pre-amp are you using? I was playing around a little this weekend, and there was a significant difference in volume, and to a lesser degree mid-range clarity, going from a Kenwood C2 to an APT Holman. Just by ear, the APT Holman drove the amp harder (louder with less turn of the volume knob) and had better definition. I was using music I know well, do I kind of know what's in there.

I do have a question, though. Are the pots designed to have the speaker response "flat" with the controls set at 12 o'clock (boost and cut), or are they just designed to cut response? I haven't found a definitive answer.

There is an Aragon 4004 for sale fairly near me. I believe that it is the MK I version. Does anybody know of anybody doing upgrades on those to the MK II?

Currently run mine with Adcom GFA 5500. Also used my MC7200 which is the best amp I own. The Aragon is a wonderful amp from what others have said about it and should have no trouble. Lots of nice amps out there in the used market in your range. Someone just snagged a real nice ps audio 200c for less than half your budget my local cl.

There is an Aragon 4004 for sale fairly near me. I believe that it is the MK I version. Does anybody know of anybody doing upgrades on those to the MK II?
big fan of Aragon amps. If the pice is right, grab it.

I have been very happy w/ Emotiva SA-250 driving the RS-IIs. This amp is rated (full freq range) at 250 wpc at 8 Ohm and 400 wpc at 4 Ohm. If you find one on the used market it would fit your budget range.

For what it is worth, Onkyo 9070 integrated (75 wpc at 8 Ohm, 140 wpc at 4 Ohm, full range) could not handle RS-IIs, going into protection frequently.

Back
Top Bottom