Yamaha Love

What a TANK!

I have moved/fondled and possibly drooled on one. The "remote" also. Haven't heard it yet though.

Yes, the B-1 is very much like a block of steel. Hoisted mine today setting up a system. Most people have never heard of the RU-1 remote control for the B-1. It's more a curiosity, not droolworthy like the B-1.

Yes, the B-1 is very much like a block of steel. Hoisted mine today setting up a system

a total sleeper from both, the looks and sund perspective.

one would never guess it is so heavy or that it sounds so good....

funny:
Had a friend over and seen one of mine sitting on top of a steel cabinet (stored). He asked what it was and since he was curious I asked him to lift it just for kicks. His face turned red...he thought the B-1 was bolted to the steel cabinet..

Last edited:
Yamaha definitely seems to be a quality company. Back in the 70's I owned a British made road bike(Viscount). It was a nice bike with a few flaws. The deadliest was that the Fork was made from Cast Aluminum. It was light but would eventually fatigue and break. Yamaha had bought the bike company around the time this flaw was discovered. Yamaha handled the recall of all bikes with this fork. The new fork was 100% steel. Eventually the bike company was closed down.

Still loving my A-S1100. Great music making machine. I wonder whats next on Yamaha's horizon for new amps? A stand alone phono amp would be awesome!

I have the prior model to your S1100, the S1000. Pretty much the same as the 1100 but minus the meters. I think these amps qualify as old school, no frills, and no dacs, just analog heaven! Doesn't even have a way to turn it on/off without getting up off my butt and flipping a switch. Remote is good for up/down volume, ans source switching. I like the direct amp inputs, makes it a piece of cake to integrate with my home theater setup. And guess what the AVR is? Yep, Yamaha. An RX-A2070.

Been loving mine since 1978! Now if I can just convince my brother to give up the other set of NS-1000s he has sitting in storage in their original boxes I can complete my stack!!! :D

Oh yes. It had to stand there waiting for a workshop visit. Have just bought it but wanted to check it out before I connect it.
OK, I feel better now that a B-2 will not be baked to death :)

Congrats on the new purchase. Make sure the tech you take it to, understands v-fet amps.

Hi AK,

My girlfriend and I just returned from the The Show Home Entertainment Show in Long Beach, CA this afternoon. I had never been to a high end audio show before so we decided to go and take a look. Let me just say it was "interesting" to say the least. There was all of this high-end esoteric gear there and it was fun listening to $100K+ systems but there was something noticeably missing. It took me awhile to put my finger on it, but I finally realized that none of these people possessed the passion for audio that I find among the people that have built and maintained vintage systems. Most of the people appeared to be in awe of this piece or that piece because it was so outrageously expensive or it looked a certain way they found appealing. But there were only a handful of people I observed actually "listening" to what they were hearing! The rest seemed consumed in specifications of this or that and expounding on the merits of some new technology or space age material to justify the gobs of money being spent on this stuff. There was a lot of snake oil and a handful of pieces that I found interesting, but other than that I was underwhelmed by it all. I purchased only one item. A half-speed master of The Mystic Moods Orchestra - One Storm Night reissued in 1972 on Bainbridge records by Brad Miller right before Mobile Fidelity came to prominence and still in the shrink wrap for $15. Great recording and it sounds beautiful even today. I remember it scaring the hell out of me when my parents put it on the old Zenith console we had when I was a kid.

We got home and I cleaned the record and placed it on my YP-D71 with the Ortofon 2M Bronze. I can honestly say that this recording sounded so engaging on my system and the C-85/M-65 separates powering the NS-1000Ms just shimmered with realism. It really makes me feel an extra boost of pride based on what I heard today. There was nothing at any price that I feel sounded any better than what I am currently listening to. I have been at this hobby for over 40 years and I have seen so much stuff come and go but the excellence that is Yamaha still lives on. Those Yamaha engineers really knew what they were doing back then and it definitely competes with the best of what is offered today. I know the maintenance and issues we have to deal with from time to time to keep our equipment going can be a royal PITA sometimes, but it is days like today that make me realize just how fortunate we are to own such wonderful equipment!

I started seeking out Yamaha gear after I got my NS-1000. The first time I listened to these speakers was a remarkable experience, I do not think I've experienced an upgrade in my audio setup that can even come close to paralleling this.

I've gone on to build a whole system around the NS-1000 using Yamaha separates from the same period (T80/K960/C80/M80). Recently I found the matching subwoofer for this system which has elevated it to a new level and reminiscent of the feeling of when I first got my NS-1000.

I don't think I will ever stray from Yamaha, but I also do really love Sony ES gear.

Hi AK,

My girlfriend and I just returned from the The Show Home Entertainment Show in Long Beach, CA this afternoon. I had never been to a high end audio show before so we decided to go and take a look. Let me just say it was "interesting" to say the least. There was all of this high-end esoteric gear there and it was fun listening to $100K+ systems but there was something noticeably missing. It took me awhile to put my finger on it, but I finally realized that none of these people possessed the passion for audio that I find among the people that have built and maintained vintage systems. Most of the people appeared to be in awe of this piece or that piece because it was so outrageously expensive or it looked a certain way they found appealing. But there were only a handful of people I observed actually "listening" to what they were hearing! The rest seemed consumed in specifications of this or that and expounding on the merits of some new technology or space age material to justify the gobs of money being spent on this stuff. There was a lot of snake oil and a handful of pieces that I found interesting, but other than that I was underwhelmed by it all. I purchased only one item. A half-speed master of The Mystic Moods Orchestra - One Storm Night reissued in 1972 on Bainbridge records by Brad Miller right before Mobile Fidelity came to prominence and still in the shrink wrap for $15. Great recording and it sounds beautiful even today. I remember it scaring the hell out of me when my parents put it on the old Zenith console we had when I was a kid.

We got home and I cleaned the record and placed it on my YP-D71 with the Ortofon 2M Bronze. I can honestly say that this recording sounded so engaging on my system and the C-85/M-65 separates powering the NS-1000Ms just shimmered with realism. It really makes me feel an extra boost of pride based on what I heard today. There was nothing at any price that I feel sounded any better than what I am currently listening to. I have been at this hobby for over 40 years and I have seen so much stuff come and go but the excellence that is Yamaha still lives on. Those Yamaha engineers really knew what they were doing back then and it definitely competes with the best of what is offered today. I know the maintenance and issues we have to deal with from time to time to keep our equipment going can be a royal PITA sometimes, but it is days like today that make me realize just how fortunate we are to own such wonderful equipment!
Price of said component really has nothing to do with performance however there are rare exceptions from innovative people.
I learned that a from an owner and relative of a once popular NewYork high end audio store . The Japanese in particular were incredibly innovative and knew what they were doing . Their Japanese market only high end speakers turntables amps and preamps are jaw dropping works of innovation and design ,much being resold to wealthy Hong Kongers including eastern regions and sometimes showing up here in America.
Anyway I’ll be happy when my CR2020 gets out of the shop .

Back
Top Bottom