Bookshelf Speakers vs. Floorstanding Speakers

I like both, but after having used a bookshelf speaker in my main system for the past few years, I have been wanting to try a small profile floorstander to see if it improves the overall depth of sound.

:) Well, of course I was being tongue in cheeky, but I do find that my ears do not like ultra-low bass notes that rattle the floor. From years of drumming and music listening, I have a sensitivity to extreme frequencies and find that I just can't tolerate them much below 40 Hz. I love clarity, depth, layers..etc..but I am not fond of a BIG sound...
I'm one of the few that will feel your pain. I'm test driving a set of speakers at the moment that hammer the hell out of the floor and really get on my nerves. That being said, I do prefer my towers in the front of the home theater to their bookshelf counterparts behind me for music duty.

FrontWithoutGrilles.gifMonitorAudioRS1Wide.gif

You can experience low frequency bass without hammering. Loudness and hammering comes from driving speakers with high volume from amps. While not necessarily a bad thing (some selections have their greatest effect at high volume), at times it can be abusive if its too loud or if its played too long.

At times, I find that nothing sounds better than a jazz selection with some carefully selected bass notes, played at low to moderate volume during an early morning or a lazy afternoon.

I have two systems based on bookshelves + sub and one system with towers + sub. Both bookshelves and towers work equally well in the imaging and mid to high frequency response.. The towers can play louder without breakup but the mid to upper bass gives their location away in a room more than a bookshelves + sub. Its harder to build a vibration free cabinet in a tower due to the longer sides and backs compared to their bookshelf brethren. Its cabinet vibration that deteriorates the sound produced by a tower speaker.

Thanks! Did not notice you were at the beach at first glance! Certainly cooled off hasn't it!? :) Thanks for the positive thoughts... I am excited!

Just chirping in as another local. I had a similar challenge as you, and went with Wharfedale towers to match my Wharfedale bookshelfs in the back. You probably visited the same BB Magnolia room that I did, but they were not really of any help.

Wolverine, I and another Ak’er get together occasionally for listening and hanging out. Once you get your ML’s broken in, and I get my new Wharfedales broken in, maybe some of us can get together. Good luck with your speakers!

I prefer my floorstanders to my bookshelves. The bass the Allison Twos produce is far from boomy or home theater like. As a matter of fact, tight punchy, and articulate is how I would describe it. The B&W CDM-1s in my secondary system are very nice, but they don't do anything better than the Allisons, or my Altec Lansing 315s for that matter. Just my .02

Just chirping in as another local. I had a similar challenge as you, and went with Wharfedale towers to match my Wharfedale bookshelfs in the back. You probably visited the same BB Magnolia room that I did, but they were not really of any help.

Wolverine, I and another Ak’er get together occasionally for listening and hanging out. Once you get your ML’s broken in, and I get my new Wharfedales broken in, maybe some of us can get together. Good luck with your speakers!
Hey, thanks so much! Cool that we all are in the same area. The Motion 20s arrived Monday. I have about 10 hours on them so far. I will admit to peaking in occasionally to get an idea for the sound and as usual initial impressions are mixed. The soundstage/separation of sounds is amazing...never heard clearer delineation of instruments in my system. Another positive is the bass...I was a bit worried that they would sound thin but they do not at all....bass is fully present and sounds very detailed. Very happy with that aspect. In fact, the only aspect so far that I hear that leads to the "mixed" feeling is that I am hearing an extenuation of the "s" and "f" sounds...sibilance. As I've noted, I have very sensitive hearing and sibilance is an absolute no go for me. In fact, it was one of the reasons that I chose the Denton bookies in the first place as they were described as warm and easy to listen to...which they are. I was actually just looking at the Reva 3 speakers online and wondering if perhaps they would be a better fit for me. With the Crutchfield 60 day guarantee, I am in no hurry and I have read that the Motion speakers take the full 72 hours for the highs to settle in...so I will keep breaking them in and see how things develop. Will keep you posted.

Yes, it’s tempting to pass judgment on new speakers, but we really must give them break-in time. Just got my Wharfedales at about the same time you did. Maybe they were on the same FedEx truck, lol.

As far as your hearing goes, Tin Bird, I can highly rec the nice little Schiit Loki mini. It’s not a traditional EQ (yes, I know equalizers are highly controversial here and on other audio forums), but rather a 4 band set of knobs, that will help to tame any excessive highs. And boost lows where needed, too.

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and pursuit, and happy listening!

Yes, it’s tempting to pass judgment on new speakers, but we really must give them break-in time. Just got my Wharfedales at about the same time you did. Maybe they were on the same FedEx truck, lol.

As far as your hearing goes, Tin Bird, I can highly rec the nice little Schiit Loki mini. It’s not a traditional EQ (yes, I know equalizers are highly controversial here and on other audio forums), but rather a 4 band set of knobs, that will help to tame any excessive highs. And boost lows where needed, too.

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and pursuit, and happy listening!
Thanks so much...you too!

Anyone else, like me, prefer the sound of quality bookshelf speakers on nice stands over floorstanding speakers? Clarity, zero distortion, tight, punchy bass, decent sound staging vs. boomy/movie-theater-like bass that rattles the house. I like to hear the bass line, but I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.

I went from a very nice pair of Vandersteen 2CE, SigII to Bryston Mini-T speakers and am very happy with them.
I loved the Vandys, however the Mini-T seems to suit my room and ears better.

uIAVIl4.jpg

Clarity, zero distortion, tight, punchy bass, decent sound staging vs. boomy/movie-theater-like bass that rattles the house.
The former is possible without the latter. No mid bass *boom* with my floorstanders after placement determined by measured experimentation. Just linear response into the bottom octave.

U-1PX_response.jpg

The biggest joke I have ever experienced in the hobby was a pair of ADS L-810's I owned, which they originally promoted as "bookshelf speakers". They were the largest, heaviest monstrosities ever. Great midrange, and little more.

The KLH Model 6's I have, I believe, were also originally promoted as bookshelves.

"These ain't your fathers bookshelf speakers" can be said. 4" - 6" seems to be the driver size on today's options while back in the day you had 8" - 12". Of course those 8" - 12" driver versions made their way onto stands along the way but the marketing folks didn't catch on....or didn't want to.

I like both, but after having used a bookshelf speaker in my main system for the past few years, I have been wanting to try a small profile floorstander to see if it improves the overall depth of sound.

I went and listened to some of those the other day and they all had smaller drivers in their slim profile and they just didn't do it for me. Might still be better off with stand mounted bookshelf versions and a sub.

After thinking about the question I can say it's big sound for me. And I don't mean 15 inch woofer book shelf speakers on the floor or stands because they don't fit on the shelf. I mean speakers big enough they are rarely seen on stands. Like these I've been using lately. I don't miss a powered sub.
Bozak 302A
Rectilinear 111
Fisher XP10
Wharfedale W70D

I will keep the these little speakers but will maybe not use them as much.
KLH 5
OLA
CS99A
DynacoXL40

The biggest joke I have ever experienced in the hobby was a pair of ADS L-810's I owned, which they originally promoted as "bookshelf speakers". They were the largest, heaviest monstrosities ever.
It was Acoustic Research who defined that form factor as a "bookshelf" speaker in 1954 with the AR-1. Note the late 70's era 810s are within a half inch in each dimension of the AR-1 (shared also by the later AR-3 and AR-3a) .

ar1.jpg

The 810s were available with stands. :)

810.jpg

Last edited:
The more time I've spent with my skinny little towers, the greater my respect and appreciation of their strengths grow.

That said, I love my Forte, also.

My best shelf model is the ELAC B6. One of these days I may run into a pair of one of the ADS bookshelf models I like.

Anyone else, like me, prefer the sound of quality bookshelf speakers on nice stands over floorstanding speakers? Clarity, zero distortion, tight, punchy bass, decent sound staging vs. boomy/movie-theater-like bass that rattles the house. I like to hear the bass line, but I don't want all of my music to sound like I am in the front row of a Who concert in 1974.

Simply - no. Maybe I have not heard a "quality" bookshelf speaker, but from everything I have tried - I always prefer a floor stander as long as they are all in the same league. While there are some great bookshelf speakers, they just dont sound to me as good as a larger speaker (as I said - in the same league). But I suppose it , as always, comes down to your personal likes/dislikes.

Back
Top Bottom