AU X1:New and improved phono board F-2772

Nice work, how many of those boards have you got?
I like how its Purple!! The Purple People Eater!!

Look at those relays sitting in there nicely.........Wow!!

Nice work, how many of those boards have you got?
I like how its Purple!! The Purple People Eater!!

Look at those relays sitting in there nicely.........Wow!!
Actually Ron designed the board and I footed the bill and we had three boards made and I'm about to order three more.He designed it to accept the new Omron G5V-2 relays.

Actually Ron designed the board and I footed the bill and we had three boards made and I'm about to order three more.He designed it to accept the new Omron G5V-2 relays.
I would be interested in buying a couple as well for the X1's I work on here in NZ, and then a spare just in case I end up with one.....Yep, I am pretty interested in getting one to be honest....

Oh, and only if they are Purple!!

I would be interested in buying a couple as well for the X1's I work on here in NZ, and then a spare just in case I end up with one.....Yep, I am pretty interested in getting one to be honest....

Oh, and only if they are Purple!!
Well since Ronito6 did all the leg work he's entitled to any and all profit so maybe you can pm him because we're getting ready to put in an order for more.

Ummm - yea I need to jump in here as well.

Kev fixed my X1 (I still need to collect it from Auckland - thats happening this weekend - promise!

One thing Kev said is that I will need to redo my relays on this board - hence I am also super keen on getting one Willy if thats possible?

@Ronito6

I also have an option on one - still considering.

The pictures are very enticing. ;)

Well since Ronito6 did all the leg work he's entitled to any and all profit so maybe you can pm him because we're getting ready to put in an order for more.
I will do, thanks, I'll send him a message, the more the better right?

Howdy everyone.

The second version of this board which we are ordering currently is an improved version of the first.

Let’s make sure everything works correctly on this new version that is coming.

I expect no difficulties as the improvements were merely to address a small mounting issue, but it’s best to be certain.

We use a high quality American fabricator, OSH Park.

If you want to use another fabricator, PM me and we can talk.

Here is a glamour shot of the board Willy is showing

upload_2018-7-10_6-13-8.png upload_2018-7-10_6-13-55.png

Howdy everyone.

The second version of this board which we are ordering currently is an improved version of the first.

Let’s make sure everything works correctly on this new version that is coming.

I expect no difficulties as the improvements were merely to address a small mounting issue, but it’s best to be certain.

We use a high quality American fabricator, OSH Park.

If you want to use another fabricator, PM me and we can talk.

Here is a glamour shot of the board Willy is showing

View attachment 1231091 View attachment 1231094

Thanks for that, now I dont need to message you as soon as I thought. I assume you'll get a better price the more you do right?
Makes sense to put it out there....I think they will be a popular board since there are so many of those relays on it...
Excellent work by the way!!

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-10_6-44-40.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-10_6-44-40.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Ummm - yea I need to jump in here as well.

Kev fixed my X1 (I still need to collect it from Auckland - thats happening this weekend - promise!

One thing Kev said is that I will need to redo my relays on this board - hence I am also super keen on getting one Willy if thats possible?

@Ronito6

My version is 90% a copy of Sansui's second version of the 2772, but traces have been rerouted in my version to accept modern small signal relays.

As it is a modified version 2 it retains the Sansui molex 3 prong headers near the board center. (I need to consider a modern replacement for those. )

It is absolutely no problem to install if you are just replacing a version 2 board with my board. Version 2 boards have everything you need to use my version 3 . Simply reuse parts from your version 2 board to complete the new board. (You will need to buy 6 Omron G5V-24 relays to install in place of the old Fujitsu small signal relays. Those will not old Fujitsu will not fit.)

But if you are trying to replace a version 1 board with my version 3 board, the three prong header (as well as the plug that it will receive) will likely need to be sourced from a parts machine.

However, if one does not possess a parts machine from which they can get these parts, one can use solder lugs instead to wire that spot appropriately.

So it is not necessarily a dealbreaker if you are using my board to replace a version 1 board. Solder lugs will provide a superior connection anyway, so what you lose and originality you will gain in quality.

So to sum it up it will fit any X1.

It will install more easily if you’re simply replacing version 2 of the F-2772.

To replace a version 1 of the F-2772 with my board is a bit trickier but not very hard.

Last edited:
My version is 90% a copy of the second version of the 2772 but traces have been rerouted in my version to accept modern small signal relays.

Being a modified version 2 it retains the Sansui molex 3 prong headers near the board center. (I need to consider a modern replacement for those. )

It is absolutely no problem if you are just replacing a version 2 board with my board. Version 2 boards have everything you need to use my version 3 . Simply reuse parts from your version 2 board to complete the new board.

But if you are trying to replace a version 1 board with my version 3 board, the three prong header (as well as the plug that it will receive) will likely need to be sourced from a parts machine.

However, if one does not possess a parts machine from which they can get these parts, one can use solder lugs instead to wire that spot appropriately.

So it is not necessarily a dealbreaker if you are using my board to replace a version 1 board. Solder lugs will provide a superior connection anyway, so what you lose and originality you will gain in quality.

So to sum it up it will fit any X1.

It will install more easily if you’re simply replacing version 2 of the F-2772.

To replace a version 1 of the F-2772 with my board is a bit trickier but not very hard.
So when I put this thing together I had to oval out the screw holes and slide the thing to the right a few mm or one of the solder points would short out on the mounting tab like in this pic.20180624_175150.jpg 20180624_175150.jpg

So when I put this thing together I had to oval out the screw holes and slide the thing to the right a few mm or one of the solder points would short out on the mounting tab like in this pic.

Yes. Our fabricator will not do ovals. So to make sure the board seats properly, one would need to elongate the corner mounting holes. Dimensions are marked so it is easy to do.

ALSO - Very important - The point where Willy points out a possible shorting threat. That is where a single chassis mounting tab touched a single pad on the PCB. This was a problem easily corrected on our first board (Our first version 3 board.)

In the newer version of our board I have corrected that clearance issue. So the demo of the grinding back of the mounting tab is a historic point, and will not need to be done on the newer board.

Last edited:
Ron strikes again!

He deserves credit for bringing awareness to this forum about those Omron relays that Mr. Amp8 had used. It was due to his sharing of information and the fact that he had already replaced a couple of the relays on his own phono board that my tech decided to use them and replace ALL of the relays on my phono board. I think my X1 may have been the first one to have all of its phono relays replaced with the rerouting method. My tech did not like the trace cutting Mr. Amp8 did so he re-routed them and apparently that’s how Ron did it too. Great minds think alike.

As I check in here from time to time it’s been nice to see other X1 phono boards restored with the same method (later Ron even posted a diagram of the wire rerouting to make it easier for others to follow). As far as I’m concerned this should be mandatory practice on all X1 restorations, just like replacing the black flags. Those original little relays are just trouble waiting to happen.

Now it seems Ron has taken it a step further with a redesigned board. Wow, the skill and passion some people have is something else.

Great partnership guys and great work. May your work help keep more of these wonderful X1s singing for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom