Tri-wire cabling on SX-1250

qguy

I have speakers that has tri-wiring capability, wondering if there would be any benefit to this considering that the internal wire of the SX-1250 is not that thick compared to modern speaker wires?

I think they mean by tri-wiring is that you can wire directly to the speakers and not use the passive cross over network. In that case you need 3 amps and a active crossover.
Read your manual.

I think they mean by tri-wiring is that you can wire directly to the speakers and not use the passive cross over network. In that case you need 3 amps and a active crossover.
Read your manual.
Or it means you can run three amps, but still use the passive crossover, I have seen that capability before.

But if its just running three pairs of cables to the same terminals, then why would you?

Because the designer of the loudspeaker said so :) if it was some random guy on the net saying you need to triwire to get full potential, I would be skeptical. This designer was chief engineer at Dahlquist and designed several speakers for Dahlquist including the DQ20. If I had a monster power amp, I would not hesitate to tri-wire, but on an SX-1250, I am on the fence :)

But if its just running three pairs of cables to the same terminals, then why would you?

Because the designer of the loudspeaker said so :) if it was some random guy on the net saying you need to triwire to get full potential, I would be skeptical. This designer was chief engineer at Dahlquist and designed several speakers for Dahlquist including the DQ20. If I had a monster power amp, I would not hesitate to tri-wire, but on an SX-1250, I am on the fence :)
I think you answered your own question then.
If for some reason all that cable is required to run those speakers, then I say go for it....With the speaker terminations being a bit lightweight, you could then spread the load over the different terminals, except i am not sure if you can run all three at the same time....

Two sets of speakers can be operated simultaneously. The switches are wired to lock out any third set of speakers with two selected.

Back
Top Bottom