Pioneer that has pre-out

patate91

I'm looking for a pionneer that has a pre-out, amp-in.

I already own a SA-9900 and I want to test an active crossover (miniDSP), I need another amp to feed a pair of sensitive compression driver, so low watt amp is needed.

Why pioneer? My system is all vintage pioneer, prices are often decent for older amp and easier to find.

Last edited:
I'm looking for a pionneer that has a pre-out, amp-in.

I already own a SA-9900 and I want to test an active crossover (miniDSP), I need another amp to feed a pair of sensitive compression driver, so low watt amp Isabelle needed.

Why pioneer? My system is all vintage pioneer, prices are often decent for older amp and easier to find.

patate91, I suggest you post this in the Bartertown Equipment forum if this is an offer to buy something. You can look for items you want there as well. You will need to become a Subscriber member of AK to access those forums.
You could use a Tape Monitor loop input/output to function as a pre out/power in for testing purposes. :idea:

If you don’t want to spend a huge amount of money the SX-626 has pre-out / main-in jacks and can usually be found for a lot less than the big ones mentioned above. The tape monitor loop is going to be a fixed line level output so it may not work for what you are doing (assuming you need a variable level output).

If you don’t want to spend a huge amount of money the SX-626 has pre-out / main-in jacks and can usually be found for a lot less than the big ones mentioned above. The tape monitor loop is going to be a fixed line level output so it may not work for what you are doing (assuming you need a variable level output).

I don't think I need the tape monitor loop to use the power amp in an active setup ?

I plan to use the sa-9900 pre-out -> miniDSP input -> minidsp output to -> sa-9900 power amp and and power section of another amp -> 2 way speakers.

Last edited:
Actually for that kind of setup you don't really need separable pre and power jacks on the second amp, you might be better off using the standard line level input jacks of a smaller integrated amp. You could send the signal that comes from the active crossover to the line input of the second smaller integrated amp and use the smaller amps volume control to "fine tune" the level sent out to the compression drivers. The SA-9900 would still be the master volume control since the preamp out from it is feeding the crossover. If you leave the volume control all the way up on the smaller amp you will have the same volume level that the power amp input jack would give you plus you now have the option to "trim it down" a bit if it's too high.

If you get a small integrated amp like the SA-6500II or SA-6800II it will match your current amp fairly well aesthetically too and they're fairly inexpensive and easy to find. A small integrated like that should be more than enough power for the drivers I would think, try your SA-6800 and see how it does. Just a thought FWIW.

Last edited:
Actually for that kind of setup you don't really need separable pre and power amps, you might be better off using the standard line level input jacks of smaller integrated amp. You could send the signal that comes from the active crossover to the line input of the smaller integrated amp and use the smaller amps volume control to "fine tune" the level sent out to the compression drivers. The SA-9900 would still be the master volume control since it is feeding the crossover unit and you can leave the volume control on the smaller amp all the way up or trim it down a little if need be.

If you get a small integrated amp like the SA-6500II or SA-6800II it will match your current amp fairly well too and that should be more than enough power for the drivers plus they're fairly inexpensive and easy to find. Just a thought FWIW.

Thanks a lot! I do have an sa-6800, my goal is to test if I like an active setup, so I really like tbe idea.

So if I understand correctly :

Sa-9900 pre-out -> miniDSP input -> minidsp output to -> sa-9900 power amp and SA-6800 tape loop back input -> 2 way speakers.

Yep, either the tape monitor loop or any line level input (aux or tuner but not phono). Try it and see how she goes.
Sorry about that, I tried to edit my previous post for clarification but my computer locked up on me!

Yep, either the tape monitor loop or any line level input (aux or tuner but not phono). Try it and see how she goes.
Sorry about that, I tried to edit my previous post for clarification but my computer locked up on me!

If I look for specs :

Sa-9900 Pre out: 2V/1kohm
SA-6800 Line/Tape, etc. 150mV/50kohm

Will I send too much voltage? I don't want to break something

It's important to keep all of the tone controls and loudness contour set flat on the smaller amp. Start with the volume control on the smaller amp at 1/4 and work up from there. I've used preamp outs with line level inputs in the past with no issues but if you start to hear distortion or anything like that then stop. Should be OK though, I think 2volts is a maximum figure with everything wide open.

Another option (and perhaps better as far as keeping the signal path clean and uncluttered) is to just get a good basic power amp like an Adcom GFA-535 and use that to power the compression drivers from the crossover signal. You could tuck it behind everything so it’s out of sight and it’ll definitely do the job.

Another option (and perhaps better as far as keeping the signal path clean and uncluttered) is to just get a good basic power amp like an Adcom GFA-535 and use that to power the compression drivers from the crossover signal. You could tuck it behind everything so it’s out of sight and it’ll definitely do the job.

Exactly the kind of amplifer I'm looking for : good specs and low price! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom