Speaker binding posts, looking for quality.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I did a search and I could not find a thread just abou binding posts, maybe a different search term, perhaps. Anyway the binding posts I used on the Monitor 10B's are absolute junk. Finished the rest of the speaker cables with the very nice Monoprice banana plugs (mentioned in another thread) and the "cable pants". When I plugged the Monoprice Banana plugs into the 10B's they were very loose, and didn't fit all of the way in because of the shallow hole. I had to insert the plugs from the side like bare wire.

Looking over what is available for a not too ridiculous price and it looks like the solid copper Cardas CCBP L Binding post might be the best choice. Sonic Craft has them on sale, $42 USD for each set. I figure speaker cable might come and go but the binding post on the speakers are there for the duration so an investment is justified.

Cardas_CCBP_L-960.jpg

Cardas_CCBP_L_drawing-960.jpg

Can I do any better the this for the price?

...what is available for a not too ridiculous price ..........$42 USD for each set.
Those appear to be of very high fabrication quality, but aren't these two phrases a bit contradictory? Perhaps it's my cheapskate tendencies, or maybe it's my aging ears, but I'm curious what you expect to get in return if you end up shelling out $85 for two pairs of binding posts?

Search ""Pomona 3750" on that auction site. Great 5-way posts of very high quality and a test gear standard.

Re: Cardas posts, amazing what you can do with a piece of copper rod and a CNC lathe.

:eek:

Try Cliff Electronics, Brit outfit with US distributor in CA. They've been supplying ATI with connectors for their amps for decades. Good stuff, good value.

Those appear to be of very high fabrication quality, but aren't these two phrases a bit contradictory? Perhaps it's my cheapskate tendencies, or maybe it's my aging ears, but I'm curious what you expect to get in return if you end up shelling out $85 for two pairs of binding posts?

I don't expect any improvement in sound. But a quality part has it's own value. I spent the money to do a proper job on the rest of the crossovers and I cut corners on the binding posts.

Last edited:
I second Cliff Electronics. Bryston also used them on amps. Bryston is audiophile and pro-gear, and the Cliff posts I used combine audiophile cred with pro durability and precision. Considerably lower cost too.

Re: Cardas posts, amazing what you can do with a piece of copper rod and a CNC lathe.
It's not that easy, Soundmotor. They also have to suck all the Oxygen out of the copper rod and align its electrons.

I don't expect any improvement in sound. But a quality part has it's own value.
Yes, I agree with this - - if you care about robust or precise build quality, it does feel better to use components that meet your own requirements.
soundmotor mentioned a Pomona product - - their stuff is very good, but I also think Parts Express offers a very nice assortment of decent quality posts at very reasonable prices.

Check out the spec's for copper used in conductors. The O2 free copper thing is total hype. All copper used in electrical conductors is O2 free.
I was joking. I should've put a :)

However, aligning the electrons is very important :);):confused::cool::D:rolleyes:

I second the recommendation of Parts Express. They have several pairs of binding posts more commensurate in price with the cost of the overall project. The Cardas posts are very nice but a bit overkill for what you're doing.

I second the recommendation of Parts Express. They have several pairs of binding posts more commensurate in price with the cost of the overall project. The Cardas posts are very nice but a bit overkill for what you're doing.
Great advice. Other than the quality of manufacturing the the Cardas posts are not going to improve the sound. Honestly in my opinion there is still nothing better then the old style finger nut binding posts, and a marine grade ring crimp Terminator for the speaker cable, and most of the modern 5 ways can do this.

A late 1960’s Warfedale W70 speaker.
51CDD11E-EDEF-4599-AADE-E720F6229389.jpeg

Honestly in my opinion there is still nothing better then the old style finger nut binding posts, and a marine grade ring crimp Terminator for the speaker cable
Weren't banana jacks/plugs originally invented for quick connect/disconnect of PA equipment (in place of the 1/4" phone jack) anyway?
That's the first place that I had ever seen them.

Last edited:
The Banana plug was invented by General Radio in 1924. It was a replacement for the pin connectors on their instruments. There is some argument as Richard Hirschmann, Test and Measurement, in the UK also came out with a similar plug also in 1924. The original plug was developed for test instruments. I have a Monsterous General Radio RF signal generator from the late 1930's that is the size of an under the counter refrigerator. It uses the Type 274 plug. The crystal in it's reference osillator is the size of a bar of soap, it and the oven assembly sit inside a Teak wood box for insulation.

Here is a dual.version of The original General Radio TYPE 274 Plug.
1AD4D0DF-6905-441D-B009-BB98A720EFE7.jpeg

If you read the papers published on the Blue Jeans Cable site they say the best speaker connecton is bare wire.

Here is an explanation of a marine grade crimp connector. There are some that have a low temp solder in the crimp connection that solders the wire connection when you heat shrink the outer sleeve.

3A859266-5325-4FD0-AA0F-E77CB71A4111.jpeg

Pure copper tarnishes and tends to seize up because it galls. Poor choice for threaded parts. Go with Pomona. Heck, if you want to spend a fortune, go with the 5018 series, though IMO it's way overkill. E.F. Johnson don't look as nice, but they make a good post too. Be sure the post you choose has enough threaded length to get through whatever panel you're using.

Back
Top Bottom