Listener's Choice, Vol. 7 - The Best of Strauss

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Before I disconnected my cable tv service permanently, 7 years ago, I recorded about 9 hours of "Classical Light" from Comcast's On Demand-Music Choice playlist. The cassette tape (#5) I played today had; J. Labor, J.C. Bach, Scarlatti, Dvorak, Bach, Schumann, Telemann, Pachelbel, Taileferre, Heinlichen, Mozart and Chopin.

Last edited:
Before I disconnected my cable tv service permanently, 7 years ago, I recorded about 9 hours of "Classical Light" from Comcast's On Demand playlist. The cassette tape (#5) I played today had; J. Labor, J.C. Bach, Scarlatti, Dvorak, Bach, Schumann, Telemann, Pachelbel, Taileferre, Heinlichen, Mozart and Chopin.

Welcome to the thread! I have a summer house in the Bar Harbor area ( a flatlander from away! ).

Brunswick stands out in my mind because 20 years ago or so you had an excellent German restaurant ( whose name escapes me) that my wife and I would find a reason to dine in whenever we were anywhere close to you.

Ray

Bruckner......talented but bland guy.....left several versions of some of his works hanging out there so it was difficult to determine what was intended in some cases.........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Bruckner

I disagree with the idea of Bruckner´s music being "bland". Moments like the demoniac scherzo of the 9th symphony, the devastating climax of the 1st movement of the 8th symphony or the towering fugue in the last movement of the 5th symphony tell me of a universe completely removed from being "bland". Besides that, the word "talented" (only that?) perhaps is there if you don´t have a look at the harmonic progression of Bruckner´s symphonies. In the Adagio (last completed movement) of the 9th symphony, there is for the first time in music a dissonat chrord in fortissimo that is as close to a cluster as it could ever be in the XIX century (Mahler wrote a complete one in the Adagio of his 10th symphony, but many years later). Another great harmonic resource in Bruckner´s music is to be found in the most original modulations acceptable within the realms of tonality (a progression that started with the Mozart of the "Great Mass", followed with Schubert and matured with Bruckner). On the formal developments of Bruckner, the idea of expanding the sonata form with more than two themes is also a great and original one, taken later on by Sibelius and Nielsen, among other XXth century composers.

Last edited:
Telemann:

Concerto in D major for three trumpets
Quadro in B flat major
Concerto in E minor for recorder & flute
Concerto polonois in G major
Concerto in E major for flute, oboe d´amore & viola d´amore

Friedemann Immer, Micheal Lair, Iain Wilson (natural trumpets)
Catherine Mackintosh, Christopher Hirons (violins)
Trevor Jones (viola)
Timothy Mason (cello)
John Turner (recorder)
Stephen Preston (flute)
Clare Shanks (oboe d´amore)
Monica Huggerr (viola d´amore)

The Academy of Ancient Music
Christopher Hogwood

L´Oseau-Lyre CD

MI0001129257.jpg

Back
Top Bottom