Quite shocked: Pioneer CT-F7272

Trower

Two-Headed Boy
A few weeks ago I picked up a very mint Pioneer CT-F7272 along with an Akai tape deck. The Akai was OK, but man this Pio is a terrific playback deck! It is way, way better than I ever expected, and now I understand the Pioneer tape deck following:yes: I haven't tried recording with it, as it is a 2 head deck and I have other more capable recorders, but man does this unit sound good:music:

picture.php

I do like the 7272. Its a sharp looking deck and does sound real good. Mine is suffering from vinyl peel but I think it could be a good one to practice re-veneering :yes:

Finally! I try to tell my friends that the earlier CT-FX2X2 Decks are superb! :) I prefer the sound of them over the newer more hyped up three head ones like the 900 950 1000 or 1250. I'm not saying the newer ones are bad. They may be an improvement, but an over-priced improvement at that. It's just not practical to pay 3-4 times more for a negligible improvement over the earlier Decks, IMO. I love my 8282 and it's gonna stay with me for a good long while.

My cousin from Kentucky stayed with me and my mom over the 4th of July weekend, and and I played my stereo for her husband. His eyes got really huge and he said he never in his life heard a stereo sound as good as mine does. I played a few tapes on my 8282. He really liked how clear and smooth it sounded. I also gave it a few cranks on the volume, and he could not believe it, heheh! I'm not trying to be braggy, that's the honest truth. :)

Loved my 9191 so much I bought a spare. Both suffer from weak reverse so I'll be needing to dig into the motors one of these days. Already replaced and rebuilt everything else.

I used to have a CT2121...reverse got slow, and it needed tires. I guess my x-wife has it....
It did sound excellent....so, I just so happened to find a pristine CT-F7272 on ebay. It should be arriving next week.
i loved the sound of my old lost unit, so, buying this one should fix me up. They said it works perfect, but we'll see. :D

I had this deck for awhile, made some great vinyl to tape recordings that I never got with a few more sought after decks. Definitely a sleeper.

I finally cleaned and hooked up my newly aquired CT-F7272. It sounds amazing. I am playing a 25 year old pre-recorded cassette on it right now......of course I did a few things to the cassette first, knowing I played it on several players for quite a few years.....

FF all the way, RW all the way 2 times after cleaning the cassette exterior.
After that, I lubed the hubs with one shot of De-oxit and wiped the residue.

Then, repeated the process off the FF 2 times and the RW twice.

Plays perfect. I'm on side b now...only one "worn" spot on the tape, but that's normal.

Attachments

• ctf7272.jpg
    ctf7272.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hate to revive an old thread but I am in the process of testing all my equipment that hasn't been played in over 10 years or more now as in this post http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=577458
Just fired up the old Pioneer Ct-F7272 and everything works and sounds great. I am listening to it now on the above system and it sounds great. Next to try recording a tape. Hopefully it goes as well.

I guess it depends on how it was taken care of before storage and the method used to preserve the unit.
I wore out my old player years ago, and was really lucky to find a unit rarely played and in top unabused shape! Good luck my friend

Yeah,
I have a CTF-8282, and a bunch of CTF-9191's. I like the real wood on the 9191's. And when you clean them up, replace a few belts, do the usual repairs for the FF and REW, these are fantastic. The electronics in them are so good, that I very seldom have to mess with the Electronic alignments. With the ferrite heads, they accurately record and playback amazing levels up to 22Khz. And seeing most of us have a hard time hearing past 7K, this is pretty amazing.

I hate to start up a old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the pioneer Ct-f7272 should get a recap by now, or should I just leave it alone, I have already picked apart the transport and re stamped the pinch rollers, and installed new belts.

-Thanks

Yeah,
I have a CTF-8282, and a bunch of CTF-9191's. I like the real wood on the 9191's. And when you clean them up, replace a few belts, do the usual repairs for the FF and REW, these are fantastic. The electronics in them are so good, that I very seldom have to mess with the Electronic alignments. With the ferrite heads, they accurately record and playback amazing levels up to 22Khz. And seeing most of us have a hard time hearing past 7K, this is pretty amazing.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the pioneer Ct-f7272 should get a recap by now, or should I just leave it alone, I have already picked apart the transport and re stamped the pinch rollers, and installed new belts.

While you probably like your 7272, units such as those and other cassette decks usually aren't recapped, due to the large amount of small caps, labor involved, and lower value of these units. I typically haven't recapped cassette decks, primarily because the caps in them are usually reading fine, not being real high, real low, or high ESR, and many times you need to totally dismantle the unit to get to the caps. I have recapped a few Reel to Reels, but that is usually as a result of other repairs and "why not replace the caps while I am here" and being easier to rwplace than on most cassette decks.
I have calibrated test tapes for reel to reel, and a few for cassette, which is why I can replace caps on these units. If you do decide to replace the caps, remember that alignment may be necessary (Record levels, play levels, equalization, bias etc)

While you probably like your 7272, units such as those and other cassette decks usually aren't recapped, due to the large amount of small caps, labor involved, and lower value of these units. I typically haven't recapped cassette decks, primarily because the caps in them are usually reading fine, not being real high, real low, or high ESR, and many times you need to totally dismantle the unit to get to the caps. I have recapped a few Reel to Reels, but that is usually as a result of other repairs and "why not replace the caps while I am here" and being easier to rwplace than on most cassette decks.
I have calibrated test tapes for reel to reel, and a few for cassette, which is why I can replace caps on these units. If you do decide to replace the caps, remember that alignment may be necessary (Record levels, play levels, equalization, bias etc)

OK, Thank you so much, i won't recap my cassette deck then, but thank you so much for informing me about recapping.

A few weeks ago I picked up a very mint Pioneer CT-F7272 along with an Akai tape deck. The Akai was OK, but man this Pio is a terrific playback deck! It is way, way better than I ever expected, and now I understand the Pioneer tape deck following:yes: I haven't tried recording with it, as it is a 2 head deck and I have other more capable recorders, but man does this unit sound good:music:

picture.php

Pioneer made very good stuff in the day--and their new turntable is highly regarded.

Pioneer made very good stuff in the day--and their new turntable is highly regarded.

Also, i don't know about you but when i first got my pioneer ct-f7272 the DC motor did not have vary good torque, and even after pulling out all my hair trying to fix it it still does not have the best torque.

Also, i don't know about you but when i first got my pioneer ct-f7272 the DC motor did not have vary good torque, and even after pulling out all my hair trying to fix it it still does not have the best torque.

Get a new motor--or at least a new used one.............

Back
Top Bottom