Stray cat. Giving it a home ?s

A previous poster said that Advantage and Frontline don’t work well. Nothing could be further from the truth!!! They are by far the best flea control. However, they should be administered outdoors as any fleas on the cat will leave in a hurry and could survive in the house. After a short period of time it’s fine to bring him back inside. As to him wanting to be by himself, let him, it’s a cat thing. Also, if money is a concern simply buy the flea control for a large dog and use a plastic syringe to measure out and administer the proper amount for a cat his weight. (Google it). That’s what my vet-tech friend did. The products are virtually identical for cats and dogs.

Seconded. Give the little guy some care, loving, and some time. He's worth that. Ignore the naysayers. The best lap cat I ever had owned me when he was feral, weighed ounces, had to be bottle fed several weeks, and he had allergies (and Casey wasn't cheap on vet bills). He owned me for 17 years, the best I ever got owned by. And he took over 4 months to get over his demise (Mom outvoted me on that). I was in tears for weeks. Casey was 2 weeks shy of 18 when he left me, and my life was richer having been a part of my life.

A previous poster said that Advantage and Frontline don’t work well. Nothing could be further from the truth!!!
Well, your vet friend is WRONG.

I speak from experience with flea infestation problems that occurred WITHIN MY HOUSE. Not hearsay.

The Seresto flea collars do, in fact, work better than any of the drops. My neighbors turned me on to them when I complained that the drops weren't working well. They had the same problem with their dog. That's why they tried the collars.

And, a lot of the drops for dogs specifically say on the package "DO NOT USE ON CATS. IT CAN MAKE THEM SICK."

Last edited:
Give him a bath in Dawn. Try to work from the neck down. if you start from the back the fleas will run to the head. Get a flea comb. Comb the fleas out as you see them. Set up a bowl of soapy water to rinse them off the comb into. It may take a couple of baths to get all the fleas. I hope he tolerates a bath. Good luck. Just show him the cat box a couple of times so he knows where it is. Give him a day or two to get used to the house. Earlier this year I was driving home with my wife and saw what looked like a strange looking cat on the side of the road on the edge of an orchard. I asked the wife if she saw it and she said no. I told her it looked odd and I had to turn around to go back and see. When we got out of the car and walked up to it it was two tiny kittens huddled together. There was a third near that had died. They barely had their eyes open. could barely walk. So we scooped them up and brought them home. we guessed they where about 4 weeks old. Had to feed them kitten milk at first.

20180421_202057.jpg 20180422_192917.jpg 20180422_192719.jpg

They where covered in dirt and fleas. Took a couple of baths to get them clean. We had to hand feed them at first. Didn't take long before they where eating. They took to the cat box quickly. and before long they thought we where their mom. Followed us from room to room and slept in our laps.

20180426_193253.jpg

The no-kill shelter was full. They said it was kitten season and was swamped. We kept them for a little over 2 months I think and finally the no-kill shelter was able to take them. They give them their shots, spay and neuter them and take them to adoption clinics at pet stores. It was hard to let them go. My wife and I just couldn't take on two cats.
20180518_175459.jpg

Good luck with yours.

Last edited:
Well, your vet friend is WRONG.

I speak from experience with flea infestation problems that occurred WITHIN MY HOUSE. Not hearsay.

The Seresto flea collars do, in fact, work better than any of the drops. My neighbors turned me on to them when I complained that the drops weren't working well. They had the same problem with their dog. That's why they tried the collars.

And, a lot of the drops for dogs specifically say on the package "DO NOT USE ON CATS. IT CAN MAKE THEM SICK."
Not to get in a pissing match but I’ve used it myself and everything was aok. Look at the ingredients rather than a sticker by a manufacturer looking to make you buy tiny doses. I’ve tried everything and these two products are by far the best. Just don’t apply them inside.

Cats are night creatures. It's when they most like to hunt, because they aren't at the top of the predator chain.

They sometimes fear children, but acclimate. Very independent. If you want a cat to do what you say, just say it once or twice then leave him alone until he thinks it's his own idea. If you keep telling him, he tends to get stubborn. Their independence is what makes them great pets, as they are low-maintenance. A little play time with them, for, say, 15 minutes once or twice a day keeps them happy.

And they like to climb up on something high, where they feel safe up off the floor.

They are also very loving animals, willing to allow you the privilege of sharing their abode, and serving them.

A spray bottle of water is invaluable for training them what is allowed and what isn't.

we’ve got 3 cats that adopted us. each with his own needs and personality, but all great animals. sounds like yours has had a home before. take care of his needs and he’ll reward you. consider yourself lucky to be chosen

Not to get in a pissing match but I’ve used it myself and everything was aok. Look at the ingredients rather than a sticker by a manufacturer looking to make you buy tiny doses. I’ve tried everything and these two products are by far the best. Just don’t apply them inside.
I used Frontline many years ago and it did work OK. I don't know whether the fleas became immune to it or whether they are somehow genetically different or what. But, the last few years were BAD for fleas around here, and many people complained that the drops stopped working.

But I suspect they do the same thing when one isn’t around:p.

Yes, somewhat true. Jumper differentiates between things he's absolutely forbidden, and those that are merely suggestions. Choosing what you make absolutely taboo leads to a comfortable compromise, I've found. For instance, no scratching furniture inside, but that raggedy stuffed chair in the garage is all yours. You know the one, not mine or mamas. He keeps those rules.

Now, hopping onto the table while I'm eating is something I've allowed since we got him as a very small kitten, mea culpa. Not Jumper's fault, because he knows he's human, too, with certain inalienable rights and few (though important) restrictions. I spoiled him rotten, and intended it so. Very close relationship; as I told my brother, never underestimate the bond between a man and his pussy.

I was feeding a stray male cat this winter and he kept coming around more and more often.

I was able to trap him and get him fixed and vaccinated.

At first he would hiss if I tried getting near him.

He slowly warmed up to me and my wife and now he is a great loving cat.

Now he comes up to me for petting....

Couldn't ask for a nicer cat. He uses the litter box always. That was my biggest concern.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom