Today's classical playlist

Telemann:

Concerto a 7 for 2 Violins and Strings in E minor
Overture-Suite for Strings and Basso continuo in G major, TV 55 no G 10 "Burlesque de Quixotte"
Overture-Suite for 2 Recorders, Strings and Basso continuo in F minor, TV 55 no f 1
Overture-Suite for 3 Oboes, Bassoon, Strings and Basso continuo in D major, TV 55 no D 15

Freiburg Baroque Orchestra
Gottfried Von der Goltz

Deutsche Harmonia Mundi CD

61Tc7EjoqkL.jpg

I disagree with the idea of Bruckner´s music being "bland". Moments like the demoniac scherzo of the 9th symphony, the devastating climax of the 1st movement of the 8th symphony or the towering fugue in the last movement of the 5th symphony tell me of a universe completely removed from being "bland". Besides that, the word "talented" (only that?) perhaps is there if you don´t have a look at the harmonic progression of Bruckner´s symphonies. In the Adagio (last completed movement) of the 9th symphony, there is for the first time in music a dissonat chrord in fortissimo that is as close to a cluster as it could ever be in the XIX century (Mahler wrote a complete one in the Adagio of his 10th symphony, but many years later). Another great harmonic resource in Bruckner´s music is to be found in the most original modulations acceptable within the realms of tonality (a progression that started with the Mozart of the "Great Mass", followed with Schubert and matured with Bruckner). On the formal developments of Bruckner, the idea of expanding the sonata form with more than two themes is also a great and original one, taken later on by Sibelius and Nielsen, among other XXth century composers.
I should have made it clearer....only referring to the description of his appearance, deportment and personality as described in the Wikipedia article. I was not referring to his work as "bland". In fact, the article points out that there was a obvious disconnect between the man and his music. I am not well versed on his work, but my assumption is that his work was significant based on the fact that it has survived for 150 years and we are still discussing him and listening to his music.

I should have made it clearer....only referring to the description of his appearance, deportment and personality as described in the Wikipedia article. I was not referring to his work as "bland". In fact, the article points out that there was a obvious disconnect between the man and his music. I am not well versed on his work, but my assumption is that his work was significant based on the fact that it has survived for 150 years and we are still discussing him and listening to his music.

OK, no problem!

Chopin:

Nocturne No.1 En Si Bémol Mineur Op.9 No.1
Nocturne No.2 En Mi Bemol Majeur Op.9 No.2
Nocturne No.3 En Si Majeur Op.9 No.3
Nocturne No.4 En Fa Majeur Op.15 No.1
Nocturne No.5 En Fa Diese Majeur Op.15 No.2
Nocturne No.6 En Sol Mineur Op.15 No.3
Nocturne No.7 En Ut Diese Mineur Op.27 No.1
Nocturne No.8 En Ré Bémol Majeur Op.27 No.2
Nocturne No.9 En Si Majeur Op.32 No.1
Nocturne No.10 En La Bemol Majeur Op.32 No.2
Nocturne No.11 En Sol Mineur Op.37 No.1
Nocturne No.12 En Sol Majeur Op.37 No.2
Nocturne No.13 En Ut Mineur Op.48 No.1

Samson François (piano)

EMI CD (CD 9 of the 10 CD set "Samson François – The Chopin Recordings")

francois_chopin_4553572.jpg

Welcome to the thread! I have a summer house in the Bar Harbor area ( a flatlander from away! ).

Brunswick stands out in my mind because 20 years ago or so you had an excellent German restaurant ( whose name escapes me) that my wife and I would find a reason to dine in whenever we were anywhere close to you.

Ray
Hi Ray,

I know the restaurant. Richard, something-or-other... I haven't been up as far as Bar harbor, only Boothbay, which I ride to once or twice every summer on my road bike. There is a great hi-fi repairman in Augusta: Peter Lahaye (The Stereo Doctor). Paul

Hi Ray,

I know the restaurant. Richard, something-or-other... I haven't been up as far as Bar harbor, only Boothbay, which I ride to once or twice every summer on my road bike. There is a great hi-fi repairman in Augusta: Peter Lahaye (The Stereo Doctor). Paul

Yes that's it - Richard's Restaurant. I can still taste the schnitzel and sauerbraten !

Thanks for the tip on Peter Lahaye.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom