62 goin' on 22

Superampman

AK Member
Okay, so I know we all want to declare how young we are at heart. But which of us is brave enough to admit just how young we are in mind.

No one here can identify me so I'm okay telling you all that I haven't changed a bit. My son and daughter are accomplished professionals with credentials and children. I can hold a conversation with them and their peers but when I come home, my living room floor has CDs piled up all over the floor, amps all over the place, a Teeter ready to rock, and various speakers in different states of repair. I simply have not grown up, it seems. I have an established business with great reviews but I have this sense of defiance in regards to 'shaping up'. All of my peers have left me in the dust. I would be embarrassed to bring them in my house. Yet I have this feeling I've saved myself from something. Weird.

It's a Beatles tune, no?:)

Some of us just don't fit into societies definition of 'grown up'. I still like to play music loud, drive fast cars fast, and a lot of other things that people consider out of chatacter for an adult. I'll be 57 in September, and I figured out that I'll have to work until I'm 65 instead of retiring early. Am I saving money for the future? HELL NO! I've spent roughly 5 grand in the last year on stereo gear and repairs to said gear, and cables, and connectors. I modified the crap out of my Infiniti, and now I'm looking at used GTRs to replace it with. I get the whole defiance against convention thing, and I don't see a problem with it as long as you're happy. Rock on sir!

I'm stuck with me; I follow along wherever I go. Sometimes I annoy the crap out of myself, but gain some relief by annoying all of you. I'm of two minds about the issue; I don't know whether to scratch my watch* or wind my butt.

* A watch was a once highly popular portable clock, small enough to be strapped around the wrist. It's predecessor, the pocket-watch, was invented in 1524 in Germany, and by 1570 some were adapted to wear on the wrist, but it was 1868 before the first official wrist-watch debuted. Fairly ubiquitous in the 20th century, it has become almost a collector's-only curio with the widespread use of smart-phones into the 21st. Early models were entirely mechanical, using coiled spring power, which had to be wound daily. Later they ran on batteries. Oddly, the mechanical models were called "automatics." Go figure.

Last edited:
Had a golf buddy that wore the absolute rattiest old cloths to pretty posh courses. It just wasn't important to him or us as he's a great guy. Different strokes.

Ampman that pretty much describes me as well so don't feel like the lone ranger. I'll be 60 this year. I've minimized my HVAC business to the point it's darn near a hobby in itself. I'm enjoying life, the grandkid (yep only one so far), and playing music and toying with gear. Life is good!

Yet I have this feeling I've saved myself from something.

You have saved yourself. You are an independent thinker and don't subscribe to group-think, social engineering and being force fed by corporations.

Why does your house have to look like a display home? It doesn't. My best friends have complicated minds and equally complicated interests that often result in many projects running at the same time. That makes a mess, but a productive mess.

I still listen to music from my youth and play CDs I rode my bike 30km to buy when I was 17. It's still fun to have a few drinks and play loud music and get all reminiscent.

I've got a 10yo son and we were both shooting trees with our slingshots today and skidding around the house in our winter socks. He had a banana split with ice-cream, caramel and chopped peanuts two nights in a row after dinner just because that's what I would have wanted at 10. I gave him lots of extra caramel topping.

Be a big kid. :)

From pampers to depends:D
You know why baby diapers have such cute names like “Luvs”, “Huggies”, and “Pampers”, while undergarments for old people are called “Depends”, don’t you?

Well, if not, here’s how it goes: When babies crap in their pants, people are still gonna Luv 'em, Hug 'em and Pamper 'em and will gladly change their diapers.

When old people crap in their pants, who'se gonna change ‘em “Depends” on who’s in the will!

At 64 I still like to rock but I'm not stayin out till 4 getting shit faced, drunk driving or getting pulled over by the cops. Don't miss bar fights or just being a ass in general so I guess I'm not kidding myself that I'm still 22.
However it would be nice :smoke:

social norms, society and civilization are just BS that keep anarchy at bay.

if I were in charge, things would be a whole lot different.

I am growing old, I refuse to grow up, but with age comes wisdom, knowledge is power, both are excellent tools.

people that live picture perfect "normal" lives freak me out.

I find that the weirder, the better as long as they are not just crazy.
it's a fine line and some lunatics are actually very bright bulbs, just a different color.

Okay, so I know we all want to declare how young we are at heart. But which of us is brave enough to admit just how young we are in mind.

No one here can identify me so I'm okay telling you all that I haven't changed a bit. My son and daughter are accomplished professionals with credentials and children. I can hold a conversation with them and their peers but when I come home, my living room floor has CDs piled up all over the floor, amps all over the place, a Teeter ready to rock, and various speakers in different states of repair. I simply have not grown up, it seems. I have an established business with great reviews but I have this sense of defiance in regards to 'shaping up'. All of my peers have left me in the dust. I would be embarrassed to bring them in my house. Yet I have this feeling I've saved myself from something. Weird.

Naw, I have embraced my inner Grumpy Old Man. :p;)

Ah I've found my people. I fart in the general direction of conformity. I'm a rebel without a cause (or a clue:dunno:), and will be one till the day I die. I'll never understand the need to impress people. Or do things the way others do because you're supposed to, or some other nonsense. I do things the way they make the most sense to me. Period.

And besides. It's fun watching people get all in a tizzy over it anyway. :rflmao:

In my experience in life though. I've learned that many so called normal people. Are far from it. They're just putting on a show is all. I have better morals then most church going types, and I'm kinder to my fellow man too. Think about it. Most of the people you see on the news doing crazy things are "normal people". There's always the neighbors being interviewed. "They just seemed like a nice normal family". :angel: Instead it's more like :whip:

LOL. At 81 I left the defiance mode a few years back, found I didn't need it. Bought myself a couple of HomePods and accompanying iPhones and called it a day. BUT, every once in awhile I turn my "traditional" system on just for comparison. Today is one of those days as I'm listening to my Pilot 240 amp. play over a pair of A/D/S L520 speakers. Soon the cord will be cut and I will become a true minimalist, no more cluttering wires and bulky gear. I guess that could be some sort of defiance.

Back
Top Bottom