What to do?

• Total voters

briguy986

Greetings. I am looking for feedback from those that have heard Audio Research and Luxman gear in their experience.

I recently acquired an SP11 hybrid preamp with stock tubes. Plugged it in to the main system in place of a Luxman CL-35 mkIII, and instantly noticed a difference in imaging and soundstage--something the Luxman (with Matsushita 12ax7 tubes) currently does not hold up to. I am at a slight dilemma, as I did not foresee wanting to keep this SP11!

Will reconditioning the Luxman with new caps and Telefunken tubes bring up to the ARC's level? Are these two devices in the same class (albeit different vintages)?

Thank you

Attachments

• Luxman vs ARC.jpg
    Luxman vs ARC.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Years ago I had a CL-35/III for a month-long trial period. It was in perfect shape and even had the original silver-wire SUTs in back. I was comparing it to Audio Research SP6, Luxman CL-34, MFA Magus. The CL-35 was disappointing and I didn't buy it. The price was only $800, and as stated in perfect cosmetic and operational condition, so it was a steal. To buy it just to sell it for 100% profit would make sense today, but back then selling audio online was in its infancy.

I eventually sold the SP6 and regret it. I still have the CL-34 and Magus. No regrets about the CL-35 — the CL-34 is better in all the ways that matter to me.

I have looked about adding a CL-35 MkIII into the Lux gear I have...But this will need a complete Overhaul/Recap and watching the $$'s the past 2 years
you are in 1G to 1.5G.

The SP11 was *the* state of the art preamp for many years.
The Luxman, while nice, was never at that level that I know of.

I have looked about adding a CL-35 MkIII into the Lux gear I have...But this will need a complete Overhaul/Recap and watching the $$'s the past 2 years
you are in 1G to 1.5G.

CohibaJoe, I believe you will you enjoy a CL-35. I was particularly attracted to the step volume and tone controls. Not tubey IMHO.

I am local in Jersey City, if you want to give it a listen.

Last edited:
Greetings. I am looking for feedback from those that have heard Audio Research and Luxman gear in their experience.

I recently acquired an SP11 hybrid preamp with stock tubes. Plugged it in to the main system in place of a Luxman CL-35 mkIII, and instantly noticed a difference in imaging and soundstage--something the Luxman (with Matsushita 12ax7 tubes) currently does not hold up to. I am at a slight dilemma, as I did not foresee wanting to keep this SP11!

Will reconditioning the Luxman with new caps and Telefunken tubes bring up to the ARC's level? Are these two devices already in the same class or am I going crazy?

Thank you
I think you should keep both. The Luxman is vintage and state of the art for its era, whereas the sp11 is far more available and similar to the rest of the AR line. I would use the AR on a daily basis and keep the Luxman as a back up for when AR goes down. I don't think the lux has ICs and all the other transistors that the modern preamps use for voltage regulation and buffers, etc.

I think you should keep both. The Luxman is vintage and state of the art for its era, whereas the sp11 is far more available and similar to the rest of the AR line. I would use the AR on a daily basis and keep the Luxman as a back up for when AR goes down. I don't think the lux has ICs and all the other transistors that the modern preamps use for voltage regulation and buffers, etc.

Not to be a jerk, sigh, but "short hand" for Audio Research is ARC. AR is, of course, for Acoustic Research.

Not to be a jerk, sigh, but "short hand" for Audio Research is ARC. AR is, of course, for Acoustic Research.
If it's done tactfully, as you did Ctjetta, I like being corrected, it increases my knowledge.

Not sure what those units would be worth if you sold one or the other, but I would be tempted to keep both. They both have a classic look. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom