Jazz Fusion Playlist

Caldera - 1977 - Sky Islands
Oft overlooked band from the mid 70's, they are a perfect combination of Weather Report ethnofusion thanks in large part to Eduardo Del Barrio' keyboards, and the percussion ensemble of Mike Baiano Azevedo, Carlos Vega, Hector Andrade, Steve Barrios Jr. Ray Armando, and Return to Forever for the contributions of guitar Maestro Jorge Strunz, who has a sizzling technique on both acoustic and electric guitar. Not to be overlooked is sax/flautist - Steve Tavaglione, who rates as one of the tastiest and fiery players these ears have ever heard. This is an extremely talented band, and was given the best accomodations for their creativy by the record labels of the day.
A solid recording both performance, compostionally and recording quality.Finally re-released on cd with remastering in 2011.
cover.jpg

Last edited:
Caldera - 1977 - Sky Islands
Oft overlooked band from the mid 70's, they are a perfect combination of Weather Report ethnofusion thanks in large part to Eduardo Del Barrio' keyboards, and the percussion ensemble of Mike Baiano Azevedo, Carlos Vega, Hector Andrade, Steve Barrios Jr. Ray Armando, and Return to Forever for the contributions of guitar Maestro Jorge Strunz, who has a sizzling technique on both acoustic and electric guitar. Not to be overlooked is sax/flautist - Steve Tavaglione, who rates as one of the tastiest and fiery players these ears have ever heard. This is an extremely talented band, and was given the best accomodations for their creativy by the record labels of the day.
A solid recording both performance, compostionally and recording quality.Finally re-released on cd with remastering in 2011.
View attachment 1232326
Excellent synopsis, MJB1959. I've played the albums you posted until I got sick of them... And then I played them some more. They are one of those "there but not quite there" acts in regard to celebrity that end up becoming an underground treasure. No, they didn't receive the same acclaim as Weather Report, Mahavishnu, Return to Forever and others of the genre, but their music sounds just as good to my ear. Of their four releases, my favorites are Caldera, Sky Islands, and Time and Chance. I tried to force the issue with 1979's Dreamer, but it simply didn't jibe with me. Excellent albums from an excellent band.

^^^ Back at you brother!! :beerchug:

Miles Davis ~ Big Fun
Columbia, 1974

Miles_Davis,_Big_Fun.jpg

Miles_Davis,_Big_Fun_2.jpg

The New Tony Williams Lifetime
Columbia, 1975

20180629_191033.jpg

20180629_191049.jpg
I remember when Lifetime came to town. We were all so excited to see Holdsworth and of course Tony.
The show was at Dooley’s. Not sure what it’s called now. Anyway, Tony was there, but the band was a bunch of guys that he had picked up on the road. There were two guitarists, I don’t remember who any of the players were. One of the guitarists was a fusion guy and very good but NOT Holdsworth. The other guy was obviously a rocker who was struggling to keep up but earned points for a good attitude. Overall, very disappointed in the whole show. It was obvious Tony was not happy with things. Never did hear any of the back story of what happened. Just probably one of the weirdest shows I have ever seen.

I remember when Lifetime came to town. We were all so excited to see Holdsworth and of course Tony.
The show was at Dooley’s. Not sure what it’s called now. Anyway, Tony was there, but the band was a bunch of guys that he had picked up on the road. There were two guitarists, I don’t remember who any of the players were. One of the guitarists was a fusion guy and very good but NOT Holdsworth. The other guy was obviously a rocker who was struggling to keep up but earned points for a good attitude. Overall, very disappointed in the whole show. It was obvious Tony was not happy with things. Never did hear any of the back story of what happened. Just probably one of the weirdest shows I have ever seen.

Great story Jim! I would have loved to have seen Lifetime and somehow missed out. I'm surprised they made it out here back then.

Hiroshima - Departure

Cover.JPG
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: AudioQuest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9154

Listening to this after seeing the legend himself last night in the Celebrity Theatre.
Fantastic show. The guy is 74 years old and playing his a$$ off!
View attachment 1241249 View attachment 1241250
I saw Jeff on his Blow By Blow tour in ‘75. John McLaughlin opened. That was quite the fusion guitar fest. Was also my girlfriend’s senior prom that night; we arrived late...

Listening to this after seeing the legend himself last night in the Celebrity Theatre.
Fantastic show. The guy is 74 years old and playing his a$$ off!
View attachment 1241249 View attachment 1241250

Excellent Jim, Jeff is still playing great these days!

I saw the same show in '75 that @Rockyhill saw with the Mahavishnu Orchestra "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" and Jeff with "Blow by Blow" tour. John joined Jeff for the finale that night! The other Beck concert I saw was "Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group" at old Comiskey Park in Chicago in '76 .

I was watching this video with Jeff & Jan the other day from 2017 playing Hammer's "Starcycle". Looks like these guys are having a great time on this.

Back
Top Bottom