Replacement for Starbucks Decaf Sumatra???

Hyfi

Addicted Member
Since Starbucks is heading downhill and discontinuing many good coffees and replacing them with that crappy Pikes Puke, what are people doing who like Decaf Sumatra?

I found Coffee Bean Direct where reviews are favorable but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks HJames, we had to switch to mostly decaf for several reasons and the Sumatra was just right. I will look at the links you provided to see what they have for decaf.

Yup ... the water is almost as important as the coffee for flavor. I usually take a few gallons of my well water with me on road trips.

I'm spoiled here with the Herman's Boy Coffee Ranch (est 1901) right down the road. They roast their own beans and mixes. I see they have a Sumatra Estate listed, so I guess I'll have to add that to my list.

108.jpg
111.jpg

PS ... can't abide decaf, but to each their own.

I love coffee, but I can no longer have caffeine for medical reasons. At first I thought this was the end of my life, but then I found a local place that roasts coffee every Wednesday, mails in on Thursday, and it arrives at my door on Friday. To be honest, it's by far the best coffee I ever had, and it's decaf! It also isn't any more expensive than what I'd pay in a supermarket.

I am in New Zealand so it won't help you if I tell you where I buy it, but I would strongly recommend finding somebody in your neck of the woods who sells freshly roasted coffee. It makes a huge difference!

Also, make sure the decaffeination process they use is water based. Other processes use organic solvents like methylene chloride. Take it from a chemist, you don't want to eat or drink anything that's been in contact with that stuff. It is well known to cause cancer.

I love coffee, but I can no longer have caffeine for medical reasons. At first I thought this was the end of my life, but then I found a local place that roasts coffee every Wednesday, mails in on Thursday, and it arrives at my door on Friday. To be honest, it's by far the best coffee I ever had, and it's decaf! It also isn't any more expensive than what I'd pay in a supermarket.

I am in New Zealand so it won't help you if I tell you where I buy it, but I would strongly recommend finding somebody in your neck of the woods who sells freshly roasted coffee. It makes a huge difference!

Also, make sure the decaffeination process they use is water based. Other processes use organic solvents like methylene chloride. Take it from a chemist, you don't want to eat or drink anything that's been in contact with that stuff. It is well known to cause cancer.

Methylene Chloride AKA JASCO Aircraft Stripper. :yikes:

I ordered a LB of Dark Decaf Sumatra from Coffeebeandirect. It ships from an hour from me.

We shall see if it's any good

Thanks for the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom