Stray cat. Giving it a home ?s

We've basically given up on training this cat. Nothing works, unfortunately. He's smart enough that he just waits until you leave the room to start clawing. He is also the most destructive cat we've ever had, and has a thing for shoes. If you leave a pair on the floor where he can get to them, they will get shredded. And, after he ruins something, he loses interest in it completely.:dunno: If we get another cat when he is gone, it will be declawed. We asked the vet about having him done, but we didn't know that it should be done when they are a kitten or it would be painful and expensive, so we just let it go.

We've basically given up on training this cat. Nothing works, unfortunately. He's smart enough that he just waits until you leave the room to start clawing. He is also the most destructive cat we've ever had, and has a thing for shoes. If you leave a pair on the floor where he can get to them, they will get shredded. And, after he ruins something, he loses interest in it completely.:dunno: If we get another cat when he is gone, it will be declawed. We asked the vet about having him done, but we didn't know that it should be done when they are a kitten or it would be painful and expensive, so we just let it go.

You should watch cats from hell and do some reading about cat behavior. When they act out, it's often because their environment isn't meeting their needs. I've started 'em grown and old, in-between and from kittens. One old one was the hardest, and my first, so I did not know what to do. It's surprising how you can often turn one like that around pretty quickly with just a few changes.

You should watch cats from hell and do some reading about cat behavior. When they act out, it's often because their environment isn't meeting their needs. I've started 'em grown and old, in-between and from kittens. One old one was the hardest, and my first, so I did not know what to do. It's surprising how you can often turn one like that around pretty quickly with just a few changes.
I have watched it some. It is interesting. I really don't know what he would want.:dunno: He always has fresh food and water, toys, gets attention constantly, litter box is clean, etc. The shoe fetish is the worst and weird, but the other clawing seems to be pretty much normal cat behavior, at least going by all of the previous ones we've had.

Last edited:
I have watched it some. It is interesting. I really don't know what he would want.:dunno: He always has fresh food and water, toys, gets attention constantly, litter box is clean, etc. The shoe fetish is the worst and weird, but the other clawing seems to be pretty much normal cat behavior, at least going by all of the previous ones we've had.

I haven't had much trouble with the clawing thing in the past... the reprimand has to accompany the deed. Later doesn't register, at first, anyway.

If you haven't tried a cat stand, one with a padded tray about five feet high, then it's worth a shot. It provides a place that is all theirs, their unique space, and that apparently helps allay their territorial instinct, which can elicit bad behaviors if lacking. Sometimes that's all it takes for an improved response. If you already have one, then... I don't know. I do know they crave praise, which makes reinforcement of good behavior easy. Jumper never tires of hearing what a good boy he is, so is motivated by his wish to hear it.

Hope you get yours figured out and behaving well.

Last edited:
I haven't had much trouble with the clawing thing in the past... the reprimand has to accompany the deed. Later doesn't register, at first, anyway.

If you haven't tried a cat stand, one with a padded tray about five feet high, then it's worth a shot. It provides a place that is all theirs, their unique space, and that apparently helps allay their territorial instinct, which can elicit bad behaviors if lacking. Sometimes that's all it takes for an improved response. If you already have one, then... I don't know. I do know they crave praise, which makes reinforcement of good behavior easy. Jumper never tires of hearing what a good boy he is.

Hope you get yours figured out and behaving well.
We had one of the carpeted cat condo/tree things that was about 4' high. They used it for a good while, and then all of the sudden stopped using it. I don't think this cat was even around yet, so it may be worth a try getting another.

I think all cats do that. It just seems to be one of their idiosyncrasies. Even the ones that have been born here have done the same. They have never been without food at all. Far from it, they're spoiled rotten.:rolleyes:

Most cats do it to a point. I once had two cats who would eat all their food immediately (out of their own dishes) so the other wouldn't have a chance at their leftovers.

With Patches, the begging for food (and being underfoot while anyone is near the catfood and her dish) while hardly ever emptying her dish is much stronger than with other cats I've been around.

Well we were up with him till about 4 when we fell asleep. He was sitting in the bedroom window for quite a bit and started clawing at the screen. He wanted out. We ended up closing the window to save the screen and prevent him falling from the second floor. He eventually went down to the main floor and started calling out - a lot. I went down and camped out on the couch with TV on to keep him company. He kept wandering around and calling out. He jumped up on the back of the sofa, looking out the window and pawing at the glass. He really wanted out. He ate some more used his litter and eventually went down to the basement where I didn't follow.
Woke up this morning and found him curled up behind the furnace. Managed to coax him out and he's eaten a couple of times and used the litter again.
I closed the door to the furnace room (where he sprayed) and he's now hanging out in kitchen by the stairs to the basement and the door to the back yard.
I realize that he is looking for his own space, but the furnace room isn't somewhere I want him to be. I'm hoping he'll settle in the basement rec-room or the upstairs ante- room.
He is very friendly though, and affectionate. Gonna do the bath in a bit.

Well we were up with him till about 4 when we fell asleep. He was sitting in the bedroom window for quite a bit and started clawing at the screen. He wanted out. We ended up closing the window to save the screen and prevent him falling from the second floor. He eventually went down to the main floor and started calling out - a lot. I went down and camped out on the couch with TV on to keep him company. He kept wandering around and calling out. He jumped up on the back of the sofa, looking out the window and pawing at the glass. He really wanted out. He ate some more used his litter and eventually went down to the basement where I didn't follow.
Woke up this morning and found him curled up behind the furnace. Managed to coax him out and he's eaten a couple of times and used the litter again.
I closed the door to the furnace room (where he sprayed) and he's now hanging out in kitchen by the stairs to the basement and the door to the back yard.
I realize that he is looking for his own space, but the furnace room isn't somewhere I want him to be. I'm hoping he'll settle in the basement rec-room or the upstairs ante- room.
He is very friendly though, and affectionate. Gonna do the bath in a bit.
The howling/calling out and wanting out may be due to him being not fixed and horny. He's definitely not used to his surroundings yet, either. That, and we've always had varying levels of problems keeping the windows open because they liked to claw the screen.

Wow. 46 replies in just over 12 hrs! Cat's Win!!
Good for you - sounds like a tough challenge.

I have one feral I brought inside after watching him evade monsters for over 2 years.
He went thru all kinds of hell at the vet, and had to be quarantined (he bit me - my fault not his).
But the flea treatment, ear de-miting neutering, & other stuff made him into a nearly 'new' cat!
(see Boraxo for flea followup treatment of bedding and carpets)

He was SO happy to be clean, safe, and have a new warm home and food many times a day (food is still his main 'worry')! He's now one of the cuddliest, purriest, thankful-est cats I've ever had.
But, it did take him a month or so to find his place(s) - I started him in a guest room with a custom 'prison' door so he could interact but not fight with the other cats. He took to litter immediately, no problem, though he's pretty serious about burying it!
He also spent the first two weeks or so sitting in the window looking out, and occasionally attacking the window screens, but he stopped doing that once he realized he doesn't have to constantly be one the alert for dogs and coyotes anymore.
He's now starting to 'chub out' a little bit, but is still strong as an ox, and bit on the 'rude' side: Boom! and He's There head butting you right in the nose! Street wise, I'd say, compared to the other 'domestics'.
YES to getting him fixed - otherwise he'll start spraying like crazy!!
(See OdorMute for fixing pee issues!)

And, just last week I took in a stray Siamese kitten, and still no responses to ads I've placed, and no reports anywhere of anyone looking for her. Best guess is she was an apartment move 'leave behind'...grrrr.
(Here there are laws to be followed regarding Strays and Lost Chattels - you may want to check in your province?)
But she's clean, no fleas or ear mites, vet said she looked really healthy for 6 mos.
Found a young couple who going to adopt her this weekend - very glad to have found a great new home for her!

Several others here who work with feral re-homing (or neuter and release) have said that sometimes ferals take a long time to adapt and find their place at home inside, and sometimes there's just no choice but to re-release.
One example took nearly two months to stop hiding & 'come around' but has turned into one of the most affectionate cats ever! I think 'reliable food' is the best way.

BTW, I don't use spray bottles - it teaches the cats there is still something 'to fear' inside, and will associate You with it.

I use one of these horrible smelling things (it also is a great way to 'be notified by stink' that he's been near the speaker!)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3SITWO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to keep the new feral off the speaker grills, and found he really loves this kind of scratching post!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY5L4ON/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since you are getting the friendly and affectionate stuff, I'd say you'll be fine - just give him time to adapt and be sure he can 'forget' this old survival ways.

Good job!!
IMG_20180710_135247169 cr.jpg Found kitten 2.JPG IMG_20180212_225136781 LB 7.jpg IMG_20180419_191530875.jpg

I had a roommate a while back who had a cat that liked to claw and I was concerned about my nice rugs. Imagine my surprise when she put some kind of plastic things on the kitty’s claws that make them far less destructive. I didn’t know such things existed, google it I’m sure you’ll find them. Now whether your cat lets you put them on...

I had a roommate a while back who had a cat that liked to claw and I was concerned about my nice rugs. Imagine my surprise when she put some kind of plastic things on the kitty’s claws that make them far less destructive. I didn’t know such things existed, google it I’m sure you’ll find them. Now whether your cat lets you put them on...
I've heard about those. It may be worth a try once we get moved to a different place. He already has the furniture here clawed to varying degrees, so some of it won't be coming with is. He is extremely gentle, so I don't really see a problem putting them on him.

BTW, sorry I came off so rough in my first response to you, but you sort of did come in basically calling me a liar. Not all products work the same for everybody in every situation. I was talking about my particular situation, not making a blanket statement.

I've heard about those. It may be worth a try once we get moved to a different place. He already has the furniture here clawed to varying degrees, so some of it won't be coming with is. He is extremely gentle, so I don't really see a problem putting them on him.

BTW, sorry I came off so rough in my first response to you, but you sort of did come in basically calling me a liar. Not all products work the same for everybody in every situation. I was talking about my particular situation, not making a blanket statement.
I wasn’t trying to call you a liar, just that my experience has been completely different. But I have seen homes become infested when those products are applied to animals with fleas inside because they try to escape immediately. No worries:beerchug:

IMG_20180713_011633.jpg This is "my" bed at the moment. All 4 are rescues. I couldn't do without them. Cat #5 is very attached to me, but she does not like other cats so she sleeps in her own bed.

Last edited:
i have had cats for over 20 years inside my house, currently have 5 inside, all are rescue. The tortie cat in my avatar lived outside very poorly for about a year. Her siblings are all doing well outside, I have been taking care of them (feed, neutered, heated shelters, vet if necessary). I would see her on and off, time to time. She was very thin and sickly. One day my sister was visiting, and we saw tortie cat outside, she appeared to be near death. We struggled to catch her, finally getting her into a carrier, and off to the vets (we used 2 vets, had to travel to get to one that was open on a Saturday). Took 2 to 3 weeks and finally tortie decided to live. She was very shy at first, but adapting well indoors. Now she is a beautiful cat, good health, gaining weight back. She has been with me now for 6 months. No problems with clawing, litter box, or anything. She is also the smart one. All my cats are neutered.

Back
Top Bottom