Elation and heartbreak....now back to elated!

Speedbump71

Buried in speakers
Got my 2105 restored by Terry DeWick, and finally picked it up yesterday.

Placed in car, drove home, carried it in the house, and noticed as I was putting it the cabinet that the glass had cracked. Not Terry's fault, I probably just twisted the chassis a bit on my way out of his shop or into my house and popped it.

Regardless, I have not had a "stereo day" go from that happy to that dejected so quickly.

I'm looking for good 2105 glass now, as I cant even look at it without it. McIntosh says 6 months to a year. This makes me sick to my stomach.

Rant over.

Were the feet on it.......did you set it on the seat cushion?

You must always keep pressure off the bottom rail while transporting any Mac unit either by attaching it to the correct bottom part of the shipping carton or insuring it is held off a flat surface by the taller amp style feet or at least blocks of wood.

I jumped on one from Ebay a few minutes ago. Called Tom Manley and he didnt have any either so I panicked and paid a bit too much (your price is better), but it is new and available. Still bummed about the whole deal.....original glass was flawless.

You can request to cancel the order. Make sure A/C has it in stock first.

Were the feet on it.......did you set it on the seat cushion?

You must always keep pressure off the bottom rail while transporting any Mac unit either by attaching it to the correct bottom part of the shipping carton or insuring it is held off a flat surface by the taller amp style feet or at least blocks of wood.

That sounds like the problem. I hauled it to Terry in the cabinet, but Terry had me remove it when I left it with him. I didn't put it back into the cabinet on the way home, so it sounds like my back seat and my ignorance are the culprits.

That sounds like the problem. I hauled it to Terry in the cabinet, but Terry had me remove it when I left it with him. I didn't put it back into the cabinet on the way home, so it sounds like my back seat and my ignorance are the culprits.
At least you didn't drop it like I nearly did my MR71 while carring it in the house fresh from it's restoration. :yikes:

Is the glass from eBay authentic McIntosh?

Also, I purchased new glass for my 2105 from Audio Classics a few months ago, but it is not as black as my C32’s glass? Also, the lettering isn’t as green? Ryan at Audio Classics said McIntosh is using a new method at the factory, and would inquire with them. Haven’t heard anything yet.

Is the glass from eBay authentic McIntosh?

Also, I purchased new glass for my 2105 from Audio Classics a few months ago, but it is not as black as my C32’s glass? Also, the lettering isn’t as green? Ryan at Audio Classics said McIntosh is using a new method at the factory, and would inquire with them. Haven’t heard anything yet.

The seller indicated it was a new unused glass purchased from McIntosh. If it isn't up to snuff I can always take advantage of Ebay's "seller demoralizing" customer protection policies ;)

I am unaware of these being produced anywhere in the aftermarket, although it certainly wouldn't take very much (outside of the copyright infringement issues).

Got my 2105 restored by Terry DeWick, and finally picked it up yesterday.

Placed in car, drove home, carried it in the house, and noticed as I was putting it the cabinet that the glass had cracked. Not Terry's fault, I probably just twisted the chassis a bit on my way out of his shop or into my house and popped it.

Regardless, I have not had a "stereo day" go from that happy to that dejected so quickly.

I'm looking for good 2105 glass now, as I cant even look at it without it. McIntosh says 6 months to a year. This makes me sick to my stomach.

Rant over.
My condolences. Every time I have to disturb these pieces from their resting places I worry about just this sort of thing happening.

Why don't they make them out of plexy glass ? Seems they would be more durable.
Because glass looks the same after 50 years, Acrylic/Plexi/Polycarbonate does not. Would also be hard to colour it the way they do with the logo and the text on it...
Perhaps it could be done now with better technology, but back when they first started doing it there probably weren't a lot of other options....

But I was thinking the other day when I saw this thread, and having had the glass break on my 2205 when it was shipped, there must be a better way...

I never heard of this problem but I've never owned any Mac equipment. I'd like to though. But it sounds like a Ferarri that the doors fall off if you look at it funny. I honestly didn't think Mac gear HAD any idiosyncrasies. Bubble burst. :bye:

I signed for and received hundreds of thousands of dollars of factory shipped Mac units over the decades......literally thousands of pieces.......I can not think of ever receiving a damaged unit.......never any broken glass but I did receive a MC2155 with scratches from a temporary user manual's staples packed on top of the unit......Fran sent me a new front cover next day air....

Improper handling by end users and shippers who refuse to follow the packing instructions made clear in most user manuals cause most all of the grief.

Back
Top Bottom