Denon DCM-555II Starts Skipping Partway through Discs

shouldn't be too hard to find or make new felt pads .
are the discs getting marked whilst playing ? was wondering where the rubbing noise might be coming from .
is the rubbing a constant noise

shouldn't be too hard to find or make new felt pads .
are the discs getting marked whilst playing ? was wondering where the rubbing noise might be coming from .
is the rubbing a constant noise

I think I might have forgotten to place a spring back in its original position, ugh! Going to rip it apart one more time. The rubbing is constant but there doesn't appear to be any marks on the discs even after letting one play all the way through.

any chance of a recording to listen to it ?

Well I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is I can't get a recording of it, but the good news is that it seems to be fixed! I reset a small spring clip on the bottom of the mechanism (it was holding a plastic flap / part of the bottom spindle mount in place) and it's nice and silent once again! So far no more grease blobs on the discs now that the felt pads have been excised. Fingers crossed that the skipping is gone for good. This CD player sounds amazingly good for being a 6 disc changer (at least to my ears). Has dual PCM56 DAC chips inside which might be part of the reason.

I spoke too soon. Still skipping, but much less than before & still no grease blobs on the discs. Previously it would start skipping and skip non-stop. Now it will occasionally just skip like someone bumped it. Also still only on later tracks. For example I was listening to a CD just now & tracks 1-5 were fine, it skipped a couple of times on track 6 and more often on track 7. No scratches or marks at all on the CD & it wasn't very loud, so vibrations from bass were not a factor.

There does appear to be a small belt which moves the laser head. I wonder if it would be worth replacing & see if that helps?

Do the lithium grease is spreaded on the rail to where the optical bloc is supposed to slide at the end of the disc ?

When I apply grease, I insert a disk and skip back and forth from the first to last track a few times.

Dismantled the mechanism again and found another spring out of place. One arm of the spring was sticking out and touching the rail once the head moved to a specific position. I pulled it apart and reset this spring. This is one I never touched originally, so it must have been like this from the beginning. Testing again, fingers are crossed again!

Well I managed to listen to multiple CDs from beginning to end without any skipping, so hopefully it’s now fixed!

Thank you everyone for the ideas and feedback. You guys kept saying rails which led me back to checking them thoroughly one more time and finding this spring, so thank you all!!

Mikerm,
I am having the same issue here with a DCM-555ii. It skips around track 2 and 3 mostly. I completely disassembled the mechanism, cleaned and lubed it. Cleaned the lens. Still skipping. You mention a spring arm sticking out and touching the rail. Could this be my problem? Exactly what is this spring, and where is it? On page 24 of the service manual, they mention a "drive spring". Is this the one?

The instructions shown above, concerning the "drive spring" are very difficult to understand. I think they were translated from another language. Darned if I can figure out how that spring is supposed to be installed, but I think I got it right.

I was watching the carriage as the skipping occurred. It simply moves ahead as though the computer instructed it to do so. I am guessing the unit needs to go through the adjustment procedure, which will be difficult, considering the service manual is so poorly written.

Back
Top Bottom