Whats up with Soundstage Direct?

Several months ago I ordered from SSD and had no issues. I chose SSD over other companies as SSD offered free shipping (hard to find free shipping to Hawaii). In looking at my emails on my order (two records and two record cleaner fluids), the order was placed on 7/27/17 and shipped on 8/4. One of the records had a slight warp and SSD was very responsive to my email.

I would not hesitate to order from them again.

I have ordered more than a few times from them in the past and while a little on the slow side most orders went ok. But things have changed recently, be extremely careful ordering there. My last order was over $7000 and it did not go well at all.

And just an FYI, if you do not log into your account prior to putting items in your cart the order will not show up in your history.

I’ve also heard there have been issues as well on the VPI forum; too bad - I’ve used them a number of times but not in quite a while.

It’s too bad...

By the amount of e-mails I receive from them, (advertising), maybe they are to busy to ship LP's. I have bought from them with no issues, but that was last year.

By the amount of e-mails I receive from them, (advertising), maybe they are to busy to ship LP's. I have bought from them with no issues, but that was last year.

Yeah I to have order from them in the past with good results, but something has changed, seriously for the worst.

Sounds like the company is doing the old scam many failing businesses resort to. Take your money, use it to keep the lights on, then use $ from the next person (or group of people) to pay for inventory and ship your order. All the while making excuses for delays. It works until the orders slow down, then everything comes crashing down like a house of cards.

Sounds like the company is doing the old scam many failing businesses resort to. Take your money, use it to keep the lights on, then use $ from the next person (or group of people) to pay for inventory and ship your order. All the while making excuses for delays. It works until the orders slow down, then everything comes crashing down like a house of cards.

That's what I am thinking as well.

That's what I am thinking as well.

Reminds me of a time back in the 90s when I traded a ton of stuff into a local record store. They gave me a credit slip for over $200 and I asked them to order a couple of box sets they usually carried but happened to be out of. Two or three months went by and I would check every week to see if they were getting in my stuff. They never got it in and just kept telling me to wait. Finally I got tired of waiting and ended up redeeming the credit slip for items in the store. About a year later, the store closed abruptly. I wonder how many unpaid/unredeemed credit slips were still floating around when that happened.

An update, after many tries I did manage to reach an employee, on the phone. He apologized for the delay and offered to ship one LP that they had in stock, mind you at no cost. Which really was no much of a consolation as they offer free shipping on any order over 50 dollars, and that one LP was a over 70 dollars alone.

The others, he had no firm idea on how long it would be but he said based on past experience a few months. Not very helpful to say the least. He had no explanation as to the reason why, I figured they are just tried of making up lies about changes and all, and just give you a long date to when you might get your product or an offer to refund your money.

An update, after many tries I did manage to reach an employee, on the phone. He apologized for the delay and offered to ship one LP that they had in stock, mind you at no cost. Which really was no much of a consolation as they offer free shipping on any order over 50 dollars, and that one LP was a over 70 dollars alone.

The others, he had no firm idea on how long it would be but he said based on past experience a few months. Not very helpful to say the least. He had no explanation as to the reason why, I figured they are just tried of making up lies about changes and all, and just give you a long date to when you might get your product or an offer to refund your money.
Take the money and run,if they go under you'll get squat.

I tried a new vendor 2 weeks ago,Ear Candy and I'm very happy. Ear Candy was 20 dollars cheaper than all the others listed on ebay for the vinyl I wanted. Took a shot and it arrived in 10 days. Smooth transaction.

I guess I did have 1 issue last year. I ordered 2 albums, Frank Zappa's "Absolutely Free" and Real Estate, "Atlas". Both "shipped" same day, "Absolutely Free" arrived within Media Mail shipping speed. "Atlas" took about a month, and some e-mail "prodding". SSD never sent any communication mentioning a delay. It was frustrating waiting on something they had "in stock". After my "prodding" their response was "Atlas" shipped from a different warehouse.

You apparently can no longer purchase items on the SSD website. If you put something in your cart and try to checkout, you get an error message -
"Oops something went wrong! Please try back later." Years ago I purchased a lot from SSD with no issues and even visited their B&M store and met Seth some of their service agents when I was in the area. Too bad really.

It is sad, I've been keeping a close eye on it as I was one of the ones who was waiting on a turntable only to be given excuse after excuse. After speaking to the turntable manufacturer about the "delays" I called SSD back and canceled my order. It took a month but I did get my money back. Others have had to file disputes with their CC companies.

This news is all over the net. Very happy I'm a procrastinator. I had an $1100 order on my wish list.

I wish i'd of seen this first but ordered a lp on July 3 and have yet to receive it. I look up my order status and it continues to show "processing" sent email to their customer support and no reply yet
Screenshot_20180722-194915_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response to that email. You might want to call first thing tomorrow before filing a dispute with your CC company.

Back
Top Bottom