Vinyl only spin list

kp%20n%20mvng.jpg~original
kp%20n%20mvng%202.jpg~original

Soul II Soul / Keep On Moving
1989 Virgin

12" DJ single.

If Soul II Soul don’t put the boogie in your butt nothing will. :banana:

Dig the wooden water skis fuzzy. I used to ride a Connolly Competition at “The River” (Colo) near Blythe. Loved skiing the glass at sunup. Could do 5 miles of big slalom without getting wet above the knees. Sweet.

Daniel Mudford & Pete Woodhead ‎– Shaun Of The Dead (Original Motion Picture Score)
Mondo ‎– MOND-043, 2014

Black vinyl variant
Pressed at GZ

ATydFB.jpg

ecEZLU.jpg

Miles Davis - Water Babies
(1976, Columbia)

42636242634_44b6d9070a_b.jpg

43352933871_5c541f4e8b_b.jpg

tracks recorded 1967-69 with Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock on keyboards. side one is the 1967 quintet doing post-bop, side 2 is a couple of tracks is the same group doing two fusion jams ... on the path to Bitches Brew.

You got the "on the path" part exactly right. Over the the past several months I've done some serious listening to the Miles Davis albums from Nefertiti to Bitches Brew, doing the entire stretch a couple of times with repeated listening to some albums. Bitches Brew was the first Miles Davis album I bought during the summer between freshman and sophomore years in college. What I've learned is that each album released was an exploration of material and methods. Miles In The Sky, which I've come to love with repeated listening, was an exploration of both sonorities (with the introduction of the electric piano) and more contemporary dance rhythms. In A Silent Way explored the spaces between the players and what they played. The tracks released on Water Babies help fill in the gaps in the record. Having traversed the available material a few times, the transition from from In A Silent Way's In A Silent Way/It's About That Time to Bitches Brew's Pharaoh's Dance is pretty much seamless to my ears.

The used Chic album I picked up yesterday was generally in great shape except for the lead track, Le Freak. The track had several skips. I first gave the record a good, deep cleaning; skips remained. So I went on to my next step: stopping at each skip and then manually spinning the record back through the skip. I can do this easily because the SL-1200 is manual. I repeated this several times for each skip -- spent about an hour replaying the track, stopping whenever it skipped, backing up through it, and so on, until finally... no more skips.

The track now plays perfectly. I didn't expect this technique to work so well. I'd heard of it before but had never tried it.

The used Chic album I picked up yesterday was generally in great shape except for the lead track, Le Freak. The track had several skips. I first gave the record a good, deep cleaning; skips remained. So I went on to my next step: stopping at each skip and then manually spinning the record back through the skip. I can do this easily because the SL-1200 is manual. I repeated this several times for each skip -- spent about an hour replaying the track, stopping whenever it skipped, backing up through it, and so on, until finally... no more skips.

The track now plays perfectly. I didn't expect this technique to work so well. I'd heard of it before but had never tried it.

I may have to give that a try with some records that skip. I also have a 1200. Does no harm to the needle to run it back over a skip like that, though? I know that DJs slip records backwards all the time, just wondering how this fixes a skip without doing something to the needle.

Back
Top Bottom