What I found in my car

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So my Volvo has been idle since the fall, it needed the throttle body replaced. Yesterday I got it running again and decided that the back seat was long over due to be cleaned out. It had become a catch all for flea market finds and general junk. Big trash bag and a box to save the good stuff and first I find a lone Eico ECC82/12AU7 tube made by Mullard. Gotta test it but looks good. The real shock though was a full sleeve of Sylvania JAN 12AX7WA with the date code of 1973. Looking back I remember that I found these in a box of junk left on a table at a flea market. Sometimes when a vendor leaves they just leave the worthless stuff for folks to scrounge if they like. I always take a look, picked up some tools and stuff that way and it only takes a few seconds.
Anyway, that old white sleeve of tubes was probably worth more than any other item that he sold that day.
The best part is that I have lots of gear that uses these tubes and they are one of my favorites.

BillWojo

Last edited:
Which model/year Volvo? I have owned several and loved em all. Those 240s were almost bulletproof.

It's a 2004 XC70. I love this car to. Very solid and well built.
Gadget, if they are McDonalds french fry's, after a year or so they can be used as nails.

BillWojo

So my Volvo has been idle since the fall, it needed the throttle body replaced. Yesterday I got it running again and decided that the back seat was long over due to be cleaned out. It had become a catch all for flea market finds and general junk. Big trash bag and a box to save the good stuff and first I find a lone Eico ECC82/12AU7 tube made by Mullard. Gotta test it but looks good. The real shock though was a full sleeve of Sylvania JAN 12AX7WA with the date code of 1973. Looking back I remember that I found these in a box of junk left on a table at a flea market. Sometimes when a vendor leaves they just leave the worthless stuff for folks to scrounge if they like. I always take a look, picked up some tools and stuff that way and it only takes a few seconds.
Anyway, that old white sleeve of tubes was probably worth more than any other item that he sold that day.
The best part is that I have lots of gear that uses these tubes and they are one of my favorites.

BillWojo
Bill, you inveterate scrounger! I miss doing that, nowadays traffic is so bad i just hang around the home base.
Everytime my daughter visits me on holiday, she feels the urge to "clean up" my office. I usually have a box or 2 or 3 .... of tubes lying around, and i am talking about good vintage tubes of US and Euro origins. Anyway, a small box full of 12ax7 went missing after her efforts. Maybe they ended in the back of your Volvo?

primo, I'll have another look under the seats. They weren't Telefunkins by any chance?
I'm always amazed at what some folks toss.

BillWojo

It's a kinda dry summer when we are being reduced to checking the back seat of our cars for scroes. I found the volume control knob from my car radio under the seat, months after nearly tearing the car apart looking for it. Maybe some car seats have a cloak of invisibility? ;)

Rescroe! I love it.

Just don't try to sell them on Ebay. Apparently that's been outlawed.

:idea: What?

As for catsup, I think what you want are the Szechuan Sauce. Apparently that was a thing, they discontinued it, then last fall they brought it back...but only a few packets were made and some stores got like 50 of them. People lined up to get em and were disappointed. I can't imagine they were very 'Szechuan' anyway. Probably 70% corn syrup.

As for catsup, I think what you want are the Szechuan Sauce. Apparently that was a thing, they discontinued it, then last fall they brought it back...but only a few packets were made and some stores got like 50 of them. People lined up to get em and were disappointed. I can't imagine they were very 'Szechuan' anyway. Probably 70% corn syrup.[/QUOTE]

If any one is interested in the story of the return of the Szechaun Sauce here is the clip that started it all...
Apparently after this episode aired the demand was high enough that McD's did a limited run (or so goes the rumors on the interwebs).
Rescroe! I love it.

Rescroe! I love it.

As for catsup, I think what you want are the Szechuan Sauce. Apparently that was a thing, they discontinued it, then last fall they brought it back...but only a few packets were made and some stores got like 50 of them. People lined up to get em and were disappointed. I can't imagine they were very 'Szechuan' anyway. Probably 70% corn syrup.
Ebay recently pulled an auction for some burger and fries. They were purchased a few years ago as an experiment to see how the would age un refrigerated. Apparently they looked almost as fresh as the day they were purchased.

It's a kinda dry summer when we are being reduced to checking the back seat of our cars for scroes. I found the volume control knob from my car radio under the seat, months after nearly tearing the car apart looking for it. Maybe some car seats have a cloak of invisibility? ;)

I've gotten worse as to what I've bought in the past, squirreled away, then memory-holed. Usually just a few minutes of digging produces something from the garage.

/never dug under the seats though...

:dunno:

My parent's attic was like that, I put many things up there (in garbage bags) after I checked them, and some things were forgotten there until my parent's passed, and there were some nice things that didn't have a mate(mono) many things left during the purge of 2012.

Back
Top Bottom