Samsung HL-S6187W dlp tv, an myself not being to bright

jami w.

just being me thats all
i went out earlier today an bought 3 hdmi cables, came back and pulled out the tv stand. hooked it all up
tv to pioneer reciever, turn on tv the ps3 an stereo switched to tv settings button. no surround sound not even in 2 channel!!
now remember im still a noob to surround sound,
from ps3 to hdmi on tv
tv sound to reciever ( dvd/ld) audio input
as long as its either hooked to tv/sat- dvd/ld or the other dvd inputs on back an that front button is pushed, i should get surround sound but im not. im sure its something pretty stupid that im not seeing in either thetv settings/reciever settings.

(please read through the posts)

Last edited:
i went out earlier today an bought 3 hdmi cables, came back and pulled out the tv stand. hooked it all up
tv to pioneer reciever, turn on tv the ps3 an stereo switched to tv settings button. no surround sound not even in 2 channel!!
now remember im still a noob to surround sound,
from ps3 to hdmi on tv
tv sound to reciever ( dvd/ld) audio input
as long as its either hooked to tv/sat- dvd/ld or the other dvd inputs on back an that front button is pushed, i should get surround sound but im not. im sure its something pretty stupid that im not seeing in either thetv settings/reciever settings.

*only con about my tv and reciever- theres no digital out ( compisite cable) like old tv an marantz had

"from ps3 to hdmi on tv, tv sound to reciever ( dvd/ld) audio input"

Why hook it up this way? Why not PS3 HDMI to Receiver HDMI out to TV. That's how my old PS3-Pioneer system was connected, and I never had an issue. It played Blu-Ray and multichannel SACD without any problems, with that wiring method.

the gaming hook up on the pioneer is in the front, an its the rca jacks red/white/yellow.
so i have to hook it up through the tv. theres no gaming port (hdmi) on the back of reciever.

OK, I'm confused. Is the PS3 your gaming console? The PS3 has HDMI out. Why aren't you using that connection, if so? Why composite video, and L/R analog audio? Even though the rear HDMI inputs aren't labeled as the "Gaming" connection, you can still use HDMI for any source that also uses HDMI. You might have to reassign the input, but the 1017 Manual (once downloaded) describes how.

On many TV's the audio out (coax/optical) will only carry a surround signal from the TV's internal tuner. Any other source connected to the TV even HDMI will result in a two channel only signal. Check the manual for your TV.

On many TV's the audio out (coax/optical) will only carry a surround signal from the TV's internal tuner. Any other source connected to the TV even HDMI will result in a two channel only signal. Check the manual for your TV.

This.. Use the receiver to due switching and send one HDMI signal from it to the TV.

OK, I'm confused. Is the PS3 your gaming console? The PS3 has HDMI out. Why aren't you using that connection, if so? Why composite video, and L/R analog audio? Even though the rear HDMI inputs aren't labeled as the "Gaming" connection, you can still use HDMI for any source that also uses HDMI. You might have to reassign the input, but the 1017 Manual (once downloaded) describes how.
that i didnt know ( can use any hdmi outputs on the back) for ps3. ill give it a shot tonight once it cools down for weather.

i did warn an tell everyone im still a newbie, when it comes to surround sound. my first ever surround sound reciever was that yamaha 5150. then the marantz sr7000 that went to a good friend of mines son (late 30's).
an to this beast of a reciever :beerchug:

i still have no friggin idea of how many surround settings this has!

This is what I do. Although in my case it's a pre/pro (Emotiva UMC-200) that does the switching
i have the ps3 hdmi cable plugged into hdmi1
on back of reciever, an hdmi from reciever
to tv arc hdmi an just a blank screen.
not sure if its the tv settings/ or stereo settings. but ill figure it out.

The only connection my TV uses is a single HDMI from the pre/pro. My FIOS cable box, Roku and Blu-ray player are connected only to the pre/pro. I also have a five port HDMI switch connected to the pre/pro. My music server laptop PC, main desktop PC, SACD player (for MC SACD's) and PS3 are connected to the switch. I don't bother with ARC as all the audio signals are available via the pre/pro.

The SACD player is also connected to my stereo preamp via its analog outputs.

The only connection my TV uses is a single HDMI from the pre/pro. My FIOS cable box, Roku and Blu-ray player are connected only to the pre/pro. I also have a five port HDMI switch connected to the pre/pro. My music server laptop PC, main desktop PC, SACD player (for MC SACD's) and PS3 are connected to the switch. I don't bother with ARC as all the audio signals are available via the pre/pro.

The SACD player is also connected to my stereo preamp via its analog outputs.
how does all that help me? :dunno:

dont have to dl the manual as i have all factory paperwork when it was new. an including that little factory warranty card you mail in.

Double check your HDMI cable(s) to ensure that you have them oriented correctly. Most cables have "Source" on one end and "TV" on the other. For trouble shooting purposes, it's sometimes best to keep it simple. Make sure all of your cables work. Use one source and connect each cable directly to the TV to verify they all are good.

Yea, some of the high speed HDMI Monoprice cables are marked as directional. Though, I do wonder if that really matters?

145872.jpg

Back
Top Bottom